[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cholesterol #s

Ramhock

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in April my cholesterol was 258 and the doctor put me on Lipitor. By mid-June it was down to 203.

Then just a few days ago I got the results back from the tests they ran for my life insurance application and my cholesterol was at 153. :D

(On the life insurance results the put the ranges of "expected findings" for all of the tests they performed and for cholesterol they were expecting a number between 140-199. (But I don't know if this means that 123 is too low or not.))

Edited by wiegie

3 years ago mine was an astounding 500. :D since then I've dropped it to a cool 180. now.... i've dramatically changed my "partying habits" over that period of time as well :D , but nevertheless it's amazing what the medication has done.

the key is the "bad cholesterol" - the triglycerides I believe they're called. My doc told me that it doesn't matter how low your overall total is..... if your triglycerides are way high...... then you've gotta problem. Because of this I had to test different types & doses to get the right combination. I take 2 different drugs.

for about 5 months I was at the lab getting my blood checked regularly for liver damage..... I felt like a heroin addict my arm was drilled so mant times. :D

Guest aqualung
3 years ago mine was an astounding 500. :D  since then I've dropped it to a cool 180. now.... i've dramatically changed my "partying habits" over that period of time as well  :D , but nevertheless it's amazing what the medication has done.

the key is the "bad cholesterol" - the triglycerides I believe they're called. My doc told me that it doesn't matter how low your overall total is..... if your triglycerides are way high...... then you've gotta problem. Because of this I had to test different types & doses to get the right combination. I take 2 different drugs.

for about 5 months I was at the lab getting my blood checked regularly for liver damage..... I felt like a heroin addict my arm was drilled so mant times. :D

945428[/snapback]

My triglycerides were 536 last test. :D

Edit to add. I even fasted on my alcohol intake a week prior to the test. :D

Edited by aqualung

Congrats to you.

I'm on my 3rd different script. My last test was at 386. Started Vytorin about 3 months ago. Hope this one works.

945389[/snapback]

Dang Aqualung - that's f'n high.

I started Vytorin a little over a month ago and am curious to see the results at my 3 month check-up. Started at 260 overall with my LDL at 193 (s/b under 100).

945428[/snapback]

Well, the "bad cholesterol" is known in short as your LDLs (read: low density lipids). "Good cholesterol" are your HDLs (read: high density lipids). Your triglycerides are a different reading. But...your LDLs and triglycerides should both be low and I think the lower the better. You can have an ok overall cholesterol score but the more important readings are the other three. And you need to have a good HDL count...the higher the better. :D

So says Dr. Soup!

Good info here.

Mine was 270 about 2 years ago. Got on Lipitor. Still take it every now and then - when I run out always "put off" getting it refilled. My problem was the good cholesterol (too low). Evidently not much you can do about it as it's genetic. The bad chiolsterol you can control w/diet.

The Good cholsterol somehow fight the bad guys. I dont understand but if your good's low - you need some drugs.

But have your liver checked every so often - cause the lipitor and others can do a number on it.

Or you can eat Sizzlean - no thanks.

Good info here.

Mine was 270 about 2 years ago. Got on Lipitor. Still take it every now and then - when I run out always "put off" getting it refilled. My problem was the good cholesterol (too low). Evidently not much you can do about it as it's genetic. The bad chiolsterol you can control w/diet.

The Good cholsterol somehow fight the bad guys. I dont understand but if your good's low - you need some drugs.

But have your liver checked every so often - cause the lipitor and others can do a number on it.

Or you can eat Sizzlean - no thanks.

946972[/snapback]

Actually, exercise can help raise your HDLs. I've also read a couple of beers a day helps HDL levels as well as a couple of other supplements (read that in Men's Health, for what it is worth).

Back in April my cholesterol was 258 and the doctor put me on Lipitor.  By mid-June it was down to 203.

Then just a few days ago I got the results back from the tests they ran for my life insurance application and my cholesterol was at 153.  :D

(On the life insurance results the put the ranges of "expected findings" for all of the tests they performed and for cholesterol they were expecting a number between 140-199.  (But I don't know if this means that 123 is too low or not.))

945376[/snapback]

How bad did the insurance company ding you for taking cholestrol meds?? I had a 260 and am working on my diet to get it down...

Started taking Lipitor and Niaspan about ten months ago.  My cholestrol was 220-260 for years.  After 6 months, my # was 148.  Then this week my reading was 123!?!  Ever hear of a score so low? :D  :D

945313[/snapback]

From what I read there is a correlation between too-low cholesterol and suicide rates.

LINK

How bad did the insurance company ding you for taking cholestrol meds?? I had a 260 and am working on my diet to get it down...

947024[/snapback]

I don't know yet, I'm still waiting for their rates to get sent to me--should be soon I would think.

(If what I have read is correct though, the fact that I take cholesterol medications shouldn't hurt me since the medicines are effective and usually have little to no side-effects (which means that people will keep taking them)).

I read this in several different places, so I guess I will find out soon enough if it is true.

Actually, exercise can help raise your HDLs.  I've also read a couple of beers a day helps HDL levels as well as a couple of other supplements (read that in Men's Health, for what it is worth).

946983[/snapback]

Alcohol can raise your HDL--in fact, high levels of HDL are a red-flag for life-insurance companies that you might have an alcohol problem.

Other strategies for increasing HDL

In addition to the dietary strategies involving types of fats, phytosterol intake or reducing triglyceride levels, there are several other strategies that can help increase HDL cholesterol levels:

Quit smoking, which can dramatically increase HDL cholesterol levels.

Start a regular exercise program (see How to Exercise Safely).

Maintain a healthy weight.

Drink alcohol only in moderation (no more than one serving daily for women or two drinks daily for men). Moderate alcohol use may increase HDL cholesterol levels. Large quantities of alcohol, however, have the opposite effect and can cause damage to the heart muscle.

Studies of postmenopausal women have found that calcium supplements (calcium citrate) can increase HDL levels. This effect is attributed to calcium’s effect on the introduction of saturated fats into the bloodstream. Calcium is seen to enhance the release of these fats from the body as waste products. Always check with your physician first to see whether a particular over–the–counter drug or supplement is appropriate (and safe) for you to take.

If these strategies are unsuccessful, your physician may recommend medications that have shown to raise HDL levels, such as nicotinic acid or some other cholesterol-reducing drugs.