[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cholesterol #s

Ramhock

I was hovering around 195 to 205 for many years, previous doctors said it was marginal. Never paid attention to the LDL or HDL levels.

We started seeing a new doctor just over a year ago and she said put me on Lipitor. I have no clue where my levels are now other than the doctor said she is pleased with the results. I suppose I better ask what my levels are the next time I see her. I now go in for a blood test every six months, mainly to monitor what my liver is doing.

She also told me to stop taking Tylenol and told me to take Aleve for headaches/pains. She warned me about grapefruit juice because I told her I like it, so now I just stay away from it. She asked about alcohol and I told her I usually drink in moderation but I do tend to drink too much about four times a year (coincides with when our FF league gets together for NCAA, Football, etc. related meetings).

Edited by Gunther

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to you.

I'm on my 3rd different script. My last test was at 386. Started Vytorin about 3 months ago. Hope this one works.

945389[/snapback]

386?!?!? Yikes, hope it works for you too. Might want to keep an eye on liver enzymes on Vytorin - mine got out of whack and had to cut down to half dose.

My  triglycerides were 536 last test.  :D

Edit to add. I even fasted on my alcohol intake a week prior to the test.  :D

945517[/snapback]

Holy cow, I was in the low to mid 200s and the quack said I needed to get that down. I did.

Good luck.

Another thing that a lot of people forget about is diet, in managing cholesterol. High fiber: eating oatmeal, switching from white bread to whole grain bread, eating brown rice instead of white, all that stuff can really make a big difference, especially in conjunction with the drugs and a little exercise.

It might take some getting used to, but fiber is like a big plumber's snake going through your body-- it raises your HDL's, the good cholesterol. Plus, it keeps you regular.

Another thing that a lot of people forget about is diet, in managing cholesterol. High fiber: eating oatmeal, switching from white bread to whole grain bread, eating brown rice instead of white, all that stuff can really make a big difference, especially in conjunction with the drugs and a little exercise.

It might take some getting used to, but fiber is like a big plumber's snake going through your body-- it raises your HDL's, the good cholesterol. Plus, it keeps you regular.

951346[/snapback]

That is precisely what I did to lower mine, except I didn't do any of the drugs. Raisin bran at breakfast is a copper bottomed guarantee of regularity, BTW. :D

The diet is very important. People who are genetically predisposed to cholesterol problems aren't likely to have a ton of success with it though. You could go on the perfect diet and stick with it and still not lower your numbers much. Those folks really need the lipitor, or whatever.

The diet is very important. People who are genetically predisposed to cholesterol problems aren't likely to have a ton of success with it though. You could go on the perfect diet and stick with it and still not lower your numbers much. Those folks really need the lipitor, or whatever.

952390[/snapback]

Absolutely, I was just throwing it out there because it's so often overlooked as something to consider, not to say "screw the meds and just do the diet." Hope it didn't come across that way.

• 2 months later...
Dang Aqualung - that's f'n high.

I started Vytorin a little over a month ago and am curious to see the results at my 3 month check-up.  Started at 260 overall with my LDL at 193 (s/b under 100).

945568[/snapback]

Went for my results last week after 3 months on Vytorin. Overall cholesterol came down from 260 to 168. LDL (bad) came down from 193 to 88. :D

No change in diet or exercise (in fact I weighed 5 pounds more this time :D )

I was truly amazed at how quick this stuff works.

Congrats to you.

I'm on my 3rd different script. My last test was at 386. Started Vytorin about 3 months ago. Hope this one works.

945389[/snapback]

Aqua - have you gotten any new numbers since you've been on Vytorin?

Went for my results last week after 3 months on Vytorin.  Overall cholesterol came down from 260 to 168.  LDL (bad) came down from 193 to 88.  :D

1129616[/snapback]

Mine came down fast on Lipitor, but a year later it shot back up. No diet change, but increased the daily walk. My Doc doubled my dose it came back down again, but a year later again it shot back up! :D

I'm now on 40mgs. Going back for a test in 4 weeks. :fingerscrossed:

Back in April my cholesterol was 258 and the doctor put me on Lipitor.  By mid-June it was down to 203.

Then just a few days ago I got the results back from the tests they ran for my life insurance application and my cholesterol was at 153.  :D

(On the life insurance results the put the ranges of "expected findings" for all of the tests they performed and for cholesterol they were expecting a number between 140-199.  (But I don't know if this means that 123 is too low or not.))

945376[/snapback]

As I mentioned in another thread, when I went back a few weeks ago to get the results from my most recent cholesterol test, my overall numbers were back at 198 and my triglicerides and bad cholesterol numbers were also a lot worse than my life insurance test results indicated.

That was when my doctor made his "Well I hope you bought a lot of (life insurance)" comment. :D

I consider myself to be somewhat of a cholesterol expert since I've been dealing with a serious problem since '86. At that time I was 27, just had a heart attack, a quad by-pass, and had a cholesterol level of 405 (LDL of 376 and HDL of 29).

A research Doctor at UCSF allowed me to join his program and put me on a multi-med program that has changed over the years as new drugs have hit the market. Current concoction:

1) Zetia, 10Mg tab, 1 per day

2) Plavix, 75 Mg tab, 1 per day

3) Altace 2.5 Mg cap, 1 per day

4) Lipitor, 80 MB tab, 1 per day

5) Niacin, 6 Grams per day (2 Grams taken with each meal)

6) Vitamin A

7) Vitamin C

8) Folic Acid

9) Vitamin B50

My cholesterol is 150, with an HDL count of about 45.

In my case diet has no impact although I have a very balanced diet, high in fiber and low in red meat and fatty substances. Excercise is important even if it's just walking.

Hope this info is of some use to you.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a cholesterol expert since I've been dealing with a serious problem since '86.  At that time I was 27, just had a heart attack, a quad by-pass, and had a cholesterol level of 405 (LDL of 376 and HDL of 29).

1130322[/snapback]

:D

Went for my results last week after 3 months on Vytorin.  Overall cholesterol came down from 260 to 168.  LDL (bad) came down from 193 to 88.  :D

1129616[/snapback]

Holy crap Puddy, that is outstanding. I should go in for a check up myself.

Ya fat ass! :D

:D

1130356[/snapback]

That was pretty much my reaction, too. darndest thing. I've been healthy as a horse since and have competed in triathlons, several 200 mile bike races, a few kick boxing tourneys, etc. Sure was a setback at the time, though.

1129616[/snapback]

Looking good for ya Puddy.

After four months on Vytorin my overall cholesterol is 212. HDL=35. Since my triglycerides are so high (down from 586 to 492) unable to calculate the LDL. I'm on the 40/10 dose of the drug. Since my liver function is slightly high they want to wait another four months to see if it changes, if it stays the same they want to raise the dose to 80/20.

Edit to add, if anyone is interested my prostrate is just fine. :D:D

Edited by aqualung