[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cholesterol #s

Ramhock

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just got my blood test results today and my overall cholesterol was 220. My good cholesterol (HDLs) was 37 and my bad cholesterol (LDLs) was 133. He told me to take some sample of vytorin about every 3rd day and he would check my blood again in six weeks. Does this sound normal? He said you didn't have to take the medicine daily to reap benefits.

So I just got my blood test results today and my overall cholesterol was 220.  My good cholesterol (HDLs) was 37 and my bad cholesterol (LDLs) was 133.  He told me to take some sample of vytorin about every 3rd day and he would check my blood again in six weeks.  Does this sound normal?  He said you didn't have to take the medicine daily to reap benefits.

1260628[/snapback]

Those #'s aren't too bad, but the HDL is low and the overall is borderline. Taking the meds less than once a day just reduces the amount of meds for a slower response to the meds. Watchout for muscle pain. Since I had my shoulder (14 years) and neck surgery (4 years) I have a lot of pain and cramping, so it is difficult to discerne between the injuries or Lipitor. After ~3 years the Doc took me off Lipitor due to cramping in my upper extremities. My last #'s were 176 total & a good ldl with 60 HDL (tris were borderline). We'll see what happens. a month from now. :D

Good luck!

So I just got my blood test results today and my overall cholesterol was 220.  My good cholesterol (HDLs) was 37 and my bad cholesterol (LDLs) was 133.  He told me to take some sample of vytorin about every 3rd day and he would check my blood again in six weeks.  Does this sound normal?  He said you didn't have to take the medicine daily to reap benefits.

1260628[/snapback]

Hmmm...wonder if that would work for me. Even taking it every other day would cut my cost per month from $40 to $20 :D

I'm a Rosie O'Donnell. I read the warning stuff that came with my Lipitor and I am afraid to take it.

I was put on it once before about three years ago and instead I went on a diet. I lost about 40 pounds before I went in for my follow up blood work and the doctor was singing the praises of the Lipitor. I told her that I never took it and she was amazed.

Anyway, long story long I am right back in the same boat with even one less paddle this time around. My numbers came back high and she prescribed the same stuff. I am not on a diet again and I figure that I have six weeks to show some positive improvement before my next blood work.

I hate taking meds! :D

Skippy - I had the same fears. They keep tabs on your liver every six months to make sure that the dosage isn't negatively affecting you. My doc told me that Vytorin should be in drinking water. I'm sure he was just trying to quell my fears. I go back May 1st for the liver check-up, and I expect everything will be fine.

Hmmm...wonder if that would work for me.  Even taking it every other day would cut my cost per month from $40 to $20 :D

1260773[/snapback]

Hey buddy, I know that not all our prescription plans work the same but did you try having your doctor write your prescription for three months worth of meds? I know my plan will actually allow me to get 100 doses of whatever for the same co-pay that I would pay each month. This way I get a little more then three times the meds for the same price that I would with the monthly deal.

Lipitor is very safe and the side effects are just there to tell you what could happen ( but almost never does ) ...not sure why you can not take it with Grapefruit juice though ( one of the warnings on the bottle ) ...one of these days I am going live dangerously and wash down my 20 mg's with a big glass of Tropicana

p.s. , Puddy you are right as it is important to get tested every 6 months for your liver when on this med

Edited by isleseeya

Hey buddy, I know that not all our prescription plans work the same but did you try having your doctor write your prescription for three months worth of meds?  I know my plan will actually allow me to get 100 doses of whatever for the same co-pay that I would pay each month.  This way I get a little more then three times the meds for the same price that I would with the monthly deal.

1260816[/snapback]

Thanks Skip. I did sign up for our mail in plan through Medco. So I do get three months for the price of two which helps.

Edit: Of course my son is on Singulair through the mail in plan, so that's $160 every three months for those two. I'm used to older folks talking about their medicine bills, but I'm only 37. Only down hill from here I guess :D

Edited by Puddy

Thanks Skip.  I did sign up for our mail in plan through Medco.  So I do get three months for the price of two which helps.

1260820[/snapback]

Okay, ignor the PM that I just sent you. BTW - you should still check to see if your pharmacy can do that for you. We have a mail in program as well but I found this little 100 dose loophole about a month ago and it works just fine. Check and make sure.

Okay, ignor the PM that I just sent you.  BTW - you should still check to see if your pharmacy can do that for you.  We have a mail in program as well but I found this little 100 dose loophole about a month ago and it works just fine.  Check and make sure.

1260824[/snapback]

Will do :D

Skippy - I had the same fears.  They keep tabs on your liver every six months to make sure that the dosage isn't negatively affecting you.  My doc told me that Vytorin should be in drinking water.  I'm sure he was just trying to quell my fears.  I go back May 1st for the liver check-up, and I expect everything will be fine.

1260812[/snapback]

I take it then that vytorin is safe? Which is better...lipitor, vytorin, or some other cholesterol lowering drug? :D

Calling chargerz... :D

I take it then that vytorin is safe?  Which is better...lipitor, vytorin, or some other cholesterol lowering drug?  :D

Calling chargerz... :D

1260828[/snapback]

Lipitor and Zocor are both statins, so I guess they would be similiar.

Vytorin is a newer drug made up of Zocor and Zetia. So it has the statin piece plus some other stuff (whatever the hell Zetia is). I think they are all safe as long as you go for the regular checkups.

good luck dmarc

i was on 10 first ...took a bit too long so went to 20 mg and that has done the trick ..hopefully your #'s will come down with 10 mg only ..less meds the better

1260844[/snapback]

yep..doc said same thing...start me off on lowest dose and see what happens...

thanks for the good luck!

Will do :D

1260826[/snapback]

Like Skippy said, all plans may be different. But I found that since we have Walgreen's Health Initiative for our drugs, I get a 90 day supply for $40 at the pharmacy, so definitely worth checking into. This is Lipitor 20mg by the way.

I found out all branded drugs are $40 for 90 days for me through the pharmacy.

I went back for my annual last week. I got the blood work done the week after Christmas. That probably wasn't the greatest idea since I put on a few Christmas lbs and wasn't too active. Overall was 199. Tri's were fine. My HDL was higher than it was six months ago... much higher than last year. Doc gave me the all clear. :D

Last year at this time, I was 255. I cut it down to 188 in three months with diet and moderate excersize (20 minutes on eliptical 3x per week). I cut out red meat and eat more leafy greens, veggies, and whole grains. Can't say I miss red meat... although my wife will sometimes complain about my cooking being too healthy.

Chargerz...I see you out there, got any advice on partial doses of vytorin?

1264392[/snapback]

Sorry to take so long to respond. I'm in the office today and got called away.

Vytorin is a very good medication to lower cholesterol. We use it primarily in patients who, for whatever reason, can't tolerate the higher doses of the "statins" (Zocor, Mevacor, etc.).

The cost of Vytorin has come down so much at our pharmacy that several of my primary care colleagues are putting all their high-cholesterol patients on it.

Hope this helps. :D

• 1 year later...

Well I'm in the club now. Had the annual physical on Thursday and the tests came back that I have high cholesterol including low HDL. I don't recall the exact numbers right now but will report them back on Monday. They were pretty high though, not to the level of Gameday or anything but high enough where it caught my attention. I have to go for follow up tests and talk to the Doc. The lady who called me yesterday wasn't very knowledgable.

Here's the kicker though. My liver numbers were pretty high also. Their going to do an ultrasound and more tests for that also. Obviously this concerns me a bit more.

Anyone have a high liver count also? I'm guessing the Lipitor may not be the best med for me initially based on the posts I read today.

More knowledge would be appreciated.

CJ