[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's the perfect size league?

Grogansghost

Just curious what people think.

Last year I played in a 10 and 12 team league. This year I'm in a 14.

Going in I made sure I had solid back-ups at RB, knowing how scarce talent would be, but it's still surprising how much impact two more full rosters and owners looking has on the waiver wire.

I've always done a 14 -- life is thin on the wire ... I'm trying a 10 for the first time this year. I haven't seen any movement in the 10 because everybody's got a starting line up they think has potential ... and in the 14, there's only been one trade (I got AJohnson for Ray Lewis and BLloyd) because the pickings are so slim folks are clinging to any players with any value ... Or maybe the trading will commence once the regular season begins, folks have big games, others start slow, and a few get injured ...

I wonder if a 12 would be different?

I've had experience with 10 team leagues and 12 team leagues. I believe 12 is the best fit. Like people have said before, it breaks down perfectly. If every owner knows SOMETHING about fantasy football, the league turns out to be pretty darn competitive. More teams would be more of a challenge but I think it wouldn't break down as well team wise. Less teams could be a joke with one team being just stacked.

I've done more 10s than anything and they work out pretty nice. I would say I'm starting to prefer 12s because you must draft better and make better pick-ups during the year so it benefits the addicts.

I have a full-keeper that is 8 people and its OK but we are all stacked. It started as a 6 man the 1st year and we had to add 2 teams (wanted to go to 10 but couldn't get enough owners)

I once did a 4 man and that was kinda fun as an added league. Talk about stacked teams.

I've played in a 10 and 12 in the past. Obviously, there was much more talent available on the wire late into the season than in the 12. However, I like the 12 because you really need to stay on your toes when it comes to FAs. Also, there's more money in the prize pool in a 12 team league. :D

I've done 8, 10, 12, 14 & 16. The 16 team was the weapons of DMD last year. I hated it. I could not be at the draft and had to auto draft and then there was nothing on the wire. I vowed I would not do it again. They were looking for people this year and I was tempted to join but held my ground 16 is horrible. 14 is OK and 12 is the best. I'm in two 10's and two 12's this year.

I prefer 12 team leagues. There's too much talent for 10 and too little for 14, IMO. I think 12 teams allows some nice rosters to be filled out, but at the same time, requires owners to actually "pay attention" in the late rounds. I can't see myself ever playing in 10, 14, or 16 team league. My 2 cents...

Just curious what people think.

Last year I played in a 10 and 12 team league. This year I'm in a 14.

Going in I made sure I had solid back-ups at RB, knowing how scarce talent would be, but it's still surprising how much impact two more full rosters and owners looking has on the waiver wire.

948828[/snapback]

I prefer 14 man leagues because it weeds the idiots out in the draft.

My local is going to a 16 team league this year.  After reading your comments I am having doubts about the wisdom of it.  And it's an auction league!  Any advice from you 16 teamers?

949199[/snapback]

The 16 team I just did was a serpentine draft. An auction would have been better probably. I was drafting at 15 and the draft bosses me around. Everyone I wanted comin up the draft was gone and then on the way back with the 2nd pick I'd have to reach just to make sure I'd at least get a player I wanted. It was very frustrating.

Edited by Clubfoothead

My local is going to a 16 team league this year.  After reading your comments I am having doubts about the wisdom of it.  And it's an auction league!  Any advice from you 16 teamers?

949199[/snapback]

We'd need more details, like required number of starting RBs, etc.

12 team leagues are probably the most competitive. There is typically enough talent in the NFL to fill 12 rosters with good talent if the owners know what they are doing.

I like 10 team leagues too.

More importantly, I like keeper and dynasty leagues. There is much more strategy in managing a team of this nature.

12 teams

10 team league is nothing but all-star teams...

and 14 or 16 team leagues give too much advantage to draft position, although these are a sure challenge.

My choices in order

1-12

2-14

way down the list

3-16

4-10

I started my league with 9 owners in 1996. It was a joke....I won the league so I'll keep my name on our league plaque.