[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rodney Harrison With Another Hard Hit

Primetime9287

He just hurt Antonio Chatman pretty bad. To me it looked like a dirty play as Antonio Chatman was already going to the ground and Harrison dropped his pads and popped Chatman right on the back of the neck.

Edit: Chatman was just taken off the field on a stretcher. Let's hope he is alright...

Edited by Primetime9287

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it looked like Harrison was going for the block before he could tell that Chatman was on his way down to the ground. Chatman was definitely close enough to the Pats DB who intercepted the pass (#22 but I forget his name) and I don't think it was a cheap shot. It was a hard an unneccesary hit, but it didn't look like Harrison was intentially trying to hurt Chatman.

Edited by justin

I hate Harrison. He should be banned from the league. He is nothing but a cheap shot artist - he's not talented, he's not tough, he's just a dirty, dirty punkass lady dog. He can suck on my wet rotting festing socks for all I care.

hard and unnecessary = cheap

950609[/snapback]

Whah! :D

It wasn't a cheap shot. Rodney was going in for the block and Chatman seemed to lose his footing and start to fall as he hit him. He was already committed, what is he suppose to stop in mid air???

Whah!  :D

It wasn't a cheap shot. Rodney was going in for the block and Chatman seemed to lose his footing and start to fall as he hit him. He was already committed, what is he suppose to stop in mid air???

951094[/snapback]

homer

homer

951177[/snapback]

As much as Finger might be a homer, Hook, your natural, genetic anti-Pattiots makeup has certainly led you to immediately rule this as a dirty, cheap hit and worthy of Harrison deserving a career-ending knee blowout. It looked to me like Harrison had already committed to hitting a guy who was going to be up much higher and, when Chatmen lowered/fell, it wasn't like he could slow down/pull up. I hope Chatman's OK, but guys like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater have had their numbers retired for hits along these lines. I'm not saying Harrison hasn't had some questionable hits in the past, but let's not convict him here on reputation alone. I have a hard time thinking that any NFL player, who also has to earn a paycheck and knows that an NFL career can be short anyway, would intentionally try to paralyze/seriously injure another player, knowing that it could happen to them them, too, at any moment. Hit hard and make them think twice about coming into a zone/across the middle, etc.? Sure, that's football. But I doubt even the hardest hitters like Harrison try to end a guy's career or have him carried out with his nect stabilized.

Now Jack Tatum, on the other hand....:D

As much as Finger might be a homer, Hook, your natural, genetic anti-Pattiots makeup has certainly led you to immediately rule this as a dirty, cheap hit and worthy of Harrison deserving a career-ending knee blowout. It looked to me like Harrison had already committed to hitting a guy who was going to be up much higher and, when Chatmen lowered/fell, it wasn't like he could slow down/pull up. I hope Chatman's OK, but guys like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater have had their numbers retired for hits along these lines. I'm not saying Harrison hasn't had some questionable hits in the past, but let's not convict him here on reputation alone. I have a hard time thinking that any NFL player, who also has to earn a paycheck and knows that an NFL career can be short anyway, would intentionally try to paralyze/seriously injure another player, knowing that it could happen to them them, too, at any moment. Hit hard and make them think twice about coming into a zone/across the middle, etc.? Sure, that's football. But I doubt even the hardest hitters like Harrison try to end a guy's career or have him carried out with his nect stabilized.

Now Jack Tatum, on the other hand....:D

951182[/snapback]

Your homerism has blinded you as well. It was a completely unnecessary hit. You don't come in for a block like that. He came in low and with his head down. If Chatham had been standing, it would have been a block below the waist, which is illegal on a interception return. I've hated Rodney Harrison WELL before he was a Patriot. He is a FANTASTIC safety and one of the best tacklers I have EVER seen. But he intentionally tries to hurt other players. He goes for their knees or head a lot. He will get his someday. When he does, it will be one of the few times I felt a guy deserved it.

Edited by CaptainHook

I hate Harrison.  He should be banned from the league.  He is nothing but a cheap shot artist - he's not talented, he's not tough, he's just a dirty, dirty punkass lady dog.  He can suck on my wet rotting festing socks for all I care.

951059[/snapback]

How do you really feel about it? :D

Your homerism has blinded you as well.  It was a completely unnecessary hit.  You don't come in for a block like that.  He came in low and with his head down.  If Chatham had been standing, it would have been a block below the waist, which is illegal on a interception return.  I've hated Rodney Harrison WELL before he was a Patriot.  He is a FANTASTIC safety and one of the best tacklers I have EVER seen.  But he intentionally tries to hurt other players.  He goes for their knees or head a lot.  He will get his someday.  When he does, it will be one of the few times I felt a guy deserved it.

951185[/snapback]

Homer or not, I'd never advocate hitting someone with the intent to injure. I don't think he was trying to paralyze the guy, but Harrison has certainly earned the rep as a borderline dirty player -- I've never argued that -- and no doubt he's a hated player in this league. But, in a game like the NFL where guys are sometimes praised for hard, bone-crushing hits, there's a fine line. One man's "dirty" is another man's "hard nosed/aggressive."

Edited by msaint

Listen, I like bone-jarring hits as much as the next guy, but that was uncalled for. A 12 year veteran knows you can't make that kind of block on a interception return. Low blocks are illegal because of the amount of injuries resulting from them. Do I think he was trying to paralize him? No. Do I think he intended to injure him? Absolutely. If Chatham had been standing up, Harrsion's hit would have been illegal and dangerous. However, Chatham was already falling down, and Harrison chose to come in hard and low anyways. You simply cannot defend it.

:D I know I'm not allowed to comment and disagree because I will be labeled a homer, but here's my $.02

Chatman was going down, and Harrison looked to hit him to knock him out og the play. It looked to me on the replay like Harrison was going to throw his shoulder into Chatman's shoulder area, but chatman slipped and went down faster than Harroson anticipated. he was already airborne at the time.

FWIW, any player on any NFL team that was in a position to hit the guy right behind an intercepting player would have done so, even if the guy was going to the ground. That's what they are taught to do, is knock a guy out of a play so that he can't get back into it.

It's not often that I'd defend one of the hits levied by Harrison or Eugene Wilson, as I think they are both over the top and have too many questionable hits on their records. In this case I think the people calling for Harrison's head are seeing his reputation, and not the play. Nobody throws a shoulder block with the intent to paralyze someone.

:D  I know I'm not allowed to comment and disagree because I will be labeled a homer, but here's my $.02

951759[/snapback]

your comment is as welcome as anyone's.

My point was that if Chatham hadn't slipped, Harrison's block would have been below the waist, and illegal. It is illegal because it is dangerous. But Harrison's m.o. is to go for a guy's knee. He does is way to much. If he'd cut that shucks out, he'd go down as one of the great safeties of all time.

there isn't a player in the league who deserves to have his knee blown out more than Rodney Harrison.

950612[/snapback]

Bitter? :ducks:

I think Rodney gets a bad rap sometimes because he plays hard all the time, unlike some players "cough" Randy Moss "cough"

Can't wait for the 8th!!

Edit to add, Nice Analysis Nick

Edited by nhoops