[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hold the phone...Stephen Davis to start?

StormChasers

This was in RTSPorts this morning. Panthers fans is this true?

Aug 28 2005 3:30AM

Updating previous reports, the Gaston Gazette's Steve Reed reports Carolina Panthers RB DeShaun Foster has conceded that RB Stephen Davis will be the team's starting running back opening day, if Davis' injured knee holds up. "We all know Stephen (Davis) is the starter," Foster said after Carolina's 23-20 preseason win Friday night, Aug. 26, over the Cleveland Browns. "That's how it is. We have a good player right there and he's going to help the team out and we're glad to have hi m back." The Panthers would like an offense similar to 2003 when they ran both Davis and Foster at teams every week. There were times when Davis was more effective, and other times when Foster carried the load. Foster is no lock to make it through the season with getting hurt. Right now the team has four other backs that could step in should Davis and Foster get injured.

Fantasy Impact: Davis should be ready to go for the season opener, so expect him to start. He is a bit of a risk, but could be a fine No. 2 back if his knee holds up.

Yes, it is being dicussed here , Waterman posted it this morning

Huddle post

I get the impression Foster is making this statement as a gesture of respect for Davis. Fox knows it is time for Foster to lead the team, he is in a contract year and wants to prove something as well.

Edited by theeohiostate

All reports aside I find this hard to believe, due to the fact that Foster won the starting job last year in TC, so I'll have to hear it from the Panthers organazation to believe it. I'll dig today to see if I can clarify this, but I find this highly unlikely.

Has S. Davis even seen any preseason action yet?

952698[/snapback]

No he has'nt, and I believe this to be made up journalistic sensationalism-as I believe the article to be a total red herring, as I've dug and dug and can find no other stories or claims to support this" S Davis " the starter. Foster is the clear cut starter-unless the fumbles have caught up with him? I'll stay on top of this and try to find an answer. Peace PD.

It was widely reported that Davis was taking all of the snaps with the first team offense, and Foster with the 2nd last week in practice. They held Davis out of this game, but I expect he'll get a few snaps in the last preseason game.

It was widely reported that Davis was taking all of the snaps with the first team offense, and Foster with the 2nd last week in practice. They held Davis out of this game, but I expect he'll get a few snaps in the last preseason game.

952722[/snapback]

I was aware of that, but I believe this was due to getting in sync with the 1st team O, because he and Foster will be the two back attack of 2003, and Davis needed the reps with the first team, where Foster did not-we shall see, but I'd say Foster is the starter. However, the Panthers can be very coy with injuries, and Davis could have been ready to go before this, but the Panther training staff always goes the duration on recovery time, in other words, if it's 3-6 weeks recovery, they will go 6 to 6 1/2 weeks always, as they did the same with Foster and the microfracture recovery time. Also, the same surgeon preformed the two surgeries, and Foster recovered 100%-so the same could be said for Davis. This will be very interesting to see if sly Fox has been playing everybody and Davis is healthier than he's been in years-and I would not put it past Fox to do something like that. Peace PD.

This was in RTSPorts this morning.  Panthers fans is this true?

Updating previous reports, the Gaston Gazette's Steve Reed reports Carolina Panthers RB DeShaun Foster has conceded that RB Stephen Davis will be the team's starting running back opening day, if Davis' injured knee holds up. "We all know Stephen (Davis) is the starter," Foster said after Carolina's 23-20 preseason win Friday night, Aug. 26, over the Cleveland Browns. "That's how it is. We have a good player right there and he's going to help the team out and we're glad to have hi m back." The Panthers would like an offense similar to 2003 when they ran both Davis and Foster at teams every week. There were times when Davis was more effective, and other times when Foster carried the load. Foster is no lock to make it through the season with getting hurt. Right now the team has four other backs that could step in should Davis and Foster get injured.

Fantasy Impact: Davis should be ready to go for the season opener, so expect him to start. He is a bit of a risk, but could be a fine No. 2 back if his knee holds up.

952615[/snapback]

Davis has'nt been "a fine" anything in years...and he won't hold up.

This was in RTSPorts this morning.  Panthers fans is this true?

952615[/snapback]

Thanks for the huge " Fantasy impact"...putz. :D

Neither has Foster. :D

954064[/snapback]

I picked up S. Davis in the 10th. Not bad considering the round. I think he will have some value but not much. I am screwed at RB with T. Jones and S. Davis as the #3 and #4. (My starters are Alexander and Barber).