[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old School WWF

whomper

Hacksaw Jim Dugan and Jake the Snake Roberts were my faves as a kid. Jim looked like he really had something loose upstairs. I never did drink the Hulkamania kool-aid. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat was another fave.

Anyone remember the Fabulous Moolah? They trotted that old beyotch out there until she was about 80 it seemed. How she never broke a hip is beyond me. :D

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching Mean Gene Overland?? every Sunday morning... I thought it was real, because the "sleeper" worked on all my friends, so how couldn't it be?

Best lines:

"What are you goin to do, when the 24 inch pythons wrap around you???"

Or Rick Flair... "WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Then we had the Captain Lou albano Cindy Lauper saga..George the animal used to eat the turnbuckle. Remember Bachlund did the Harvard step test ? How bout Playboy buddy rose.

A move I think we didnt mention is The Sunset Flip.

How can anyone leave out Jessy"the body" Ventura and Adrian Adonis?

We were ringside at a match, Jesse had climbed over the ropes and hung his hat and boas on the turnbuckle. Some teen age kid jumped up and grabbed one of the boas and tried to take off. Before he took two steps, Jesse vaulted over the top rope, grabbed the kid and gave him a quick jab in the mouth, and told him to sit back down in his seat and he better still be sitting there when the match was over. By the time the match ended, his lip has swollen up to the size of a golf ball. Kid was shaking in fear all over the place...Jesse left the ring and just grinned at the kid as he left, thought he was going to fall out of his chair and pass out with just the look. :D

My great-grandmother was 90 years old and believed it was real.  She watched it every Saturday afternoon and used to go to see them live sometimes.  Her favorite wrassler, Rowdy Piper (I think), was losing and she tried to beat the other guy with her cane when Rowdy flipped him out of the ring.  She was ejected from the Richmond Coliseum and banned.  I'm sure everyone thought it was part of the act, but wasn't.  She was a fiesty old lady.  :D

957163[/snapback]

The local news stations gave out the results in the sports reports. When one station stopped doing this, there were many complaints of depriving them of "sports". :D

I used to watch Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS. The guys I remember were Mr. Wrestling II, Tommy "Wildfire" Rich, Ted Dibiase (sp?), The Great Kabuki, Dusty Rhodes, Abdullah the Butcher, Andre the Giant on occasions, Tony Atlas, the Von Erichs, Ric Flair "Nature Boy", Ole and Arn Anderson, Chief Jay Strongbow, Nikolai and Ivan Volkoff, The Iron Sheik, Jimmy Valiant, Wahoo McDaniel, The Funk Brothers, Ernie Ladd, Toru Tanaka, Randy Savage, Junkyard Dog, The Freebirds, Leroy Brown, Paul Orndorff, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Bruno Samartino, etc.

I am spent.

My great-grandmother was 90 years old and believed it was real.  She watched it every Saturday afternoon and used to go to see them live sometimes.  Her favorite wrassler, Rowdy Piper (I think), was losing and she tried to beat the other guy with her cane when Rowdy flipped him out of the ring.  She was ejected from the Richmond Coliseum and banned.  I'm sure everyone thought it was part of the act, but wasn't.  She was a fiesty old lady.  :D

957163[/snapback]

My grandad used to love roller derby. Philadelphia Warriors come to mind. :D

Edited by georgemoe

How can anyone leave out Jessy"the body" Ventura and Adrian Adonis?

957209[/snapback]

Yup - many of us should have posted Jesse right off. Biography did a pretty good show on him a couple years ago.

Adonis was ok when he was first out but boy did he turn into one fat fektard. :D

Here's another name:

Larry Zybysko (sp?)

Was Bruno's protege but turned bad.

Saw him in my home town at a card they put on at our local ice rink. Andre The Giant, Strongbow, Albano, Garrea, Ho, were there. Can't remember the other on the card. It was winter time and we waited in the parking lot. Out comes Andre with sweatpants and just a towel draped around his upper torso. He crams himself into the back of a Sedan Deville and the rear end bottoms out. Sparks were flying as they drove away. :D

Don't forget Piper's sidekick Cowboy Bob Orton. Brett Hart started out partnered with Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart. What a fliping animal he was. And let's not forget Haystacks Calhoon.

You did not want to be in the first few rows of a match that Mad Dog was in. Dude was constantly  launching lugies out into the crowd the whole match.

956871[/snapback]

The One Man Gang did that as well.

Anyone remeber the name of the guy who would split out green stuff in peoples' faces to blind them? Master Fuji was his manager.

OK after this post, you will all know what a big wrestling geek I truly am.

I was all over that.  Koko B. Ware, JYD, Brutus the Barber Beefcake.  If the WWF came anywhere remitely near our town, I had to be there.

Oh, and remember the Saturday Night Main Events that came on every once in a while instead of SNL?

Good times.

956634[/snapback]

Used to love Saturday night Main events, only problem I had with them were the stupid looking blue cages they used in the cage matches. C'mon, break out the chain link for pete's sake.

What about the tag teams?..The Strongbows..Mr Fuji and Mr Sieto  :D

956642[/snapback]

Road Warriors were the greatest of all times, but I always liked the good guys back then like the Rock-n-Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) and the Fantastics (Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rodgers, wrestled mostly in UWF)

A colleague sat next to the Iron Sheik on a plane last year.  All the guy did the whole flight is complain about Hulk Hogan and try to sell my co-worker stuff.  Kind of sad.

956644[/snapback]

I also got to meet the Iron Sheik once. Went to a live wrestling match when I was younger and happened to wander to the upper deck where all of the other wrestlers were watching the matches. They let us hang out for a few minutes and get autographs.

I remember the cartoon, too.  Jake the Snake was my fave.

956645[/snapback]

Jake hit some hard times in life later and had a serious problem with drugs and alcohol. Last I saw he was still battling with it, but still does "house shows" to make a little extra $.

What about the moves the guys were famous for..Hogans leg drop, SGt. Slaughters cobra clutch. The sleeper. Superfly off the top rope.

and the always popular abdominal stretch

956695[/snapback]

No Sharpshooter (Bret Hart) or Texas Cloverleaf (Dean Malenko)??

If I remember, the claw was best know for use by two wrestlers. Baron Von Raske and Black Jack Lanza. I'm pretty sure both used it on the forehead and abdomen. For some reason I think I'm missing another who used the claw.  :D

What about Stan The Man's heart punch!  :D

956702[/snapback]

Fritz Von Erich used it alot also.

:D

Stan Staziak (patented heart punch)

The Samoans, seka & ??tika??

George the animal steel :D

Check out lucha libre on the spanish channel it's a riot, the costumes are hilarious.

956708[/snapback]

I think Stah Hansen used the heart punch, but I could be wrong. Stan Staziak's son Shawn now wrestles in WWE on occasion.

King Kong Bundy

Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart

Jesse Venture

Randy Savage

Bobby Heenan

Billy Jack Haynes

Nicolai Volkoff

Don Muraco

Jake Roberts

Tiger Chung Lee

956709[/snapback]

Classic list of 80s WWF stars when wrestling started to become the big deal it is today.

Edited by Ziachild007

Mil Mascaras! I loved those masks!

956717[/snapback]

One of the very first luchadors to make it big in the states. Opened the door for so many of the Mexican wrestlers of today.

Afa and Seka

956724[/snapback]

Afa and Sika are actually related to Samu, Fatu, The Rock, Yokozuna, Rikishi, Rosie & Jamal. They have also trained may of todays stars including Billy Kidman and David Batista

Pedro Moralez did not wear a mask.  :D

956733[/snapback]

Neither did Tito Santana.

The cage matches between Andre and Big John Studd ruled!

My favorites were the Vachon family... Mad Dog, Paul the Butcher, Vivian and Luna.  :D

956820[/snapback]

Luna is married to the former WWF wrestler Gangrel. Talk about an odd couple.

Tony Atlas was another.

957097[/snapback]

"Black Superman" was great. Trying to think of who his partner was. I wanna say Rocky Johnson, but that may not be right.

In the NWA, the Four Horsemen ruled!  One of the best batches I saw, and still have on tape, is the Magnum T.A. vs. Tully Blanchard in an "I Quit" match from Starrcade.  Absolutely brutal for it's time, and head and shoulders above anything that is done today.

957136[/snapback]

Loved the original Horsemen. All the other versions became kinda silly, especially the ones with Barry Windham and Lex luger. Seeing Magnum T.A. s name immedialtey brought another great talent to mind, Nikita Koloff.

Even his son Greg Gagne... he was little but always seemed to win his matches!

957159[/snapback]

Always seemed to have a problem beating Bockwinkel though. I actually liked the AWA a lot and was sad when they went belly up. Anyone remember the Midnight Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannety)? They later went to the WWF, but Jannety eventually got phased out and Michaels became the "Showstoppa."

Texas style:

Dick Murdoch

The Von Erichs

Chris Adams

957166[/snapback]

The Von Erichs are wrestling royalty in Texas. Its just sad to think of all of the tragedy that family went through.

Speaking of Texas area, has no on mentioned "Dr. Death" Steve Williams. I figured at least Sarge might bring him up :D

Hacksaw Jim Dugan and Jake the Snake Roberts were my faves as a kid. Jim looked like he really had something loose upstairs. I never did drink the Hulkamania kool-aid. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat was another fave.

957175[/snapback]

Never really cared for the Hulkster my self. Anyone remember when Maco Man "crushed" the Dragons larynx with the ring bell.

Anyone remember the Fabulous Moolah?  They trotted that old beyotch out there until she was about 80 it seemed. How she never broke a hip is beyond me.  :D

957175[/snapback]

They still do. :D

Leaping Lanny Poffo :D

957205[/snapback]

The son of Angelo Poffo and brother of the Randy "Macho Man" Savage. i dont know what I hated more "Leapin" Lanny or "The Genius"

OK, I am spent.

Anyone remeber the name of the guy who would split out green stuff in peoples' faces to blind them?  Master Fuji was his manager.

957519[/snapback]

Wasn't that Tanaka and Mister Fuji?

Edited by BillyBalata

Anyone remeber the name of the guy who would split out green stuff in peoples' faces to blind them?  Master Fuji was his manager.

957519[/snapback]

Actually, it was the Great Kabuki, although, later his "son" The Great Muta did the same thing.

About 5 years ago my friends and I hopped into one of our vehicles (a big old station wagon) and went on an evening quest to find a bar in Hamburg, MN that was rumored to be owned by Rock-n-Roll Buck Zumhoff. We were determined to go and have a beer with him. It took us hours of driving to find this little backwards town, and when we got there, we couldn't find his bar. So, we stopped into the local VFW to ask them about it. As we stepped inside, everybody just stopped and stared at us (I swear I could hear a record player scratch to a halt)! We asked where Buck Zumhoff's place was and the guys there just started laughing. One old dude composed himself enough to kindly let us know that ol' Rock-n-Roll Buck Zumhoff's bar went out of business close to 10 years earlier.

Since we now had no place to drink, they wer nice enough to let us order a few pitchers from them as a consolation. We had a blast!

That night, by the way, started a great tradition amongst us guys that has come to be known as "Mystery Night" :D

Edited by Savage Beatings