[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Green goes under the knife

bushwacked

From fanball:

09/01 11:26 HOT NEWSBREAKER!

CHIEFS

Green undergoes minor surgery

THE NEWS

Trent Green underwent minor surgery on Wednesday to fix a circulation problem in his left leg that was causing numbness in his foot. However, the Chiefs downplayed the operation and insisted their Pro Bowl quarterback will be ready for the season opener a week from Sunday. "It's not like having a heart transplant," head coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star after comparing the procedure to a visit to the dentist. Green will not play in Friday's preseason finale at St. Louis.

Our View

While it's fairly nerve-wracking to hear that your starting quarterback required surgery on a sudden injury just 10 days before the start of the season, this sounds like a relatively minor procedure that will solve an otherwise mysterious ailment. We'll keep you updated on his recovery between now and week one, but it's worth noting that Green has not missed a game since coming to Kansas City before the 2001 season.

Its all over the radio here in KC.

Trent Green had a small stint put in his leg, behind his knee. He will not travel to the week 4 preseason game. He is to let his leg heal.

He will practice about 1/2 speed on Monday; rest on Tuesday to see how it responds. Practice full out Wednesday in advance of the Jets season opener.

Or that's what he said at the press conference today.

Also, note that apparently this had something to do with some scar tissue related to the four knee surgerys he's had over his career.

The surgery was to his left leg (IIRC).

He said that as soon as the stint went in, the tingling sensations and pain he'd been having in his leg/foot went away and it started feeling MUCH better.

Here's a AP story from RTS....I'm not sure what to think. :D

Chiefs QB has stent put into artery, is taking blood-thinner

By DOUG TUCKER - AP Sports Writer

2005-09-01 17:43

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Doctors have placed a stent in an artery in Trent Green's lower left leg and put the Kansas City quarterback on blood-thinners in an effort to restore full circulation.

Green, who underwent four operations on his left knee six years ago, will not play in Friday night's exhibition game at St. Louis but does plan to be ready for the Sept. 11 season opener against the New York Jets.

``By Wednesday, I'll be able to do everything full-go and be ready to go with no complications or problems for the opener,'' he said Thursday. ``That was one of the things I wanted to find out.''

Doctors were not able to say with certainty what caused the condition that led to numbness and lack of feeling in the leg and foot and caused him to come out of last Saturday's game against Seattle in the first quarter.

It may be related to the succession of surgeries Green required after his knee injury in the 1999 preseason. But doctors are not pointing to football contact as the cause.

``That's the hard part for me is not knowing how it happened,'' said Green, who underwent the surgery on Tuesday. ``I really haven't taken any sort of hits or uncomfortable twists or turns or anything like that that could have done it.''

Anything that keeps Green on the sideline could be disastrous for the Chiefs. His backup, Todd Collins, has a hand injury and probably won't be ready by the season opener. Damon Huard, the No. 3 quarterback, has been nursing head trauma but will probably play some on Friday night.

Starting against the Rams will be Jonathan Quinn, a journeyman who was out of football and living in the Kansas City area when the Chiefs called him two weeks ago. Quinn played the rest of the game against the Seahawks after Green came out in the first quarter.

``It's crazy. I've never been involved with anything like this,'' said Green. ``You hear of one guy going down, or at the most, two. But to have three guys. Here it was a week ago and Quinn was on his couch. Now he's starting this week. It's a weird set of circumstances.''

The stent, a small device that widens the artery, will remain for the rest of his life, said Green. But since bleeding injuries are common in football, he will be taken off the blood thinner before each game.

we wil see about that.

whoever drafted or kept green in any fantasy league wont be able to get rid of him now, so we (yes i have him in one) are stuck with him anyways.....

hope you had the chance on a decent plan B at QB :D