[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice - Week 1

Hugh 0ne

Well kids, I'm back for yet another season, I think this is my 4th year of doing this. :D So fire away your WDIS posts, and I'll give you my opinion.

Some "rules":

1. No Rate my team posts.

2. Please post pertinent information, like matchups, scoring or starting requirements that I might need to help make an informative decision.

3. Try and keep the questions short and sweet.

Let 'em rip. :D

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one for you (standard peformance scoring w/ 5 pts per thrown TD):

Do I start Kerry Collins (against my beloved Pats) or Carson Palmer (against CLE) in week 1? I like Collins' potential, but I think Beli might throw something at him that will seriously mess with his head . . .

Edit: and if I don't like your response, I will insult you terribly and blame you for my failure.

Edited by Balzac

Here's one for you (standard peformance scoring w/ 5 pts per thrown TD):

Do I start Kerry Collins (against my beloved Pats) or Carson Palmer (against CLE) in week 1?  I like Collins' potential, but I think Beli might throw something at him that will seriously mess with his head . . .

Edit:  and if I don't like your response, I will insult you terribly and blame you for my failure.

963264[/snapback]

Interesting. You said yourself that Collins was your hit or miss guy, so I think your initial intention was to wait and see. I'd have to agree with your initial instinct, especially against one of the best defenses in the league. There are a lot of question marks and new faces on the Raiders offense, let's see how they play before we start playing Collins. Go with Palmer.

Do I start Kerry Collins (against my beloved Pats) or Carson Palmer (against CLE) in week 1?  I like Collins' potential, but I think Beli might throw something at him that will seriously mess with his head . . .

963264[/snapback]

Hijacking Hugh's thread cause I can, but, IMO, I go with Palmer against Cleveland, but this is a very tough call. I just think Palmer and CJ can exploit the Cleveland defense early on while the Pats are more likely to be able to shut down Oakland.

Glad your still doing this. Thanks for the advice. Okay, I've got to chose between Carr and McNair to start week 1. I'm thinking of getting rid of Carr as he's looked terrible in preseason so I'm a little afraid to even play him. On the other hand, McNair plays at Pitt. What do you think? Thanks

Hijacking Hugh's thread cause I can, but, IMO, I go with Palmer against Cleveland, but this is a very tough call. I just think Palmer and CJ can exploit the Cleveland defense early on while the Pats are more likely to be able to shut down Oakland.

963285[/snapback]

As long as you continue to agree with me, feel free to post any time. :D

Hugh....love to see you doing this again this year. You really are great for this site. I have 2 questions for 2 different leagues I am in...here goes:

C. Johnson @ CLE

Steve Smith vs. NO

M. Clayton @ MIN

E. Kennison vs. NYJ

M. Jones vs. SEA

T. Taylor vs. TB

R. Williams vs. GB

C. Johnson is for sure so I need to decided between the rest. I am leaning towards S. Smith and M. Clayton. We also get .5 points per reception. Scoring is in my sig line. Thoughts?

Also I need to pick 2 of these WR's:

R. Wayne @ BALT

L. Coles @ KC

L. Evans vs. HOU

T. Houshmandzedah vs. CLE

I am leaning towards Wayne and COles...Thoughts? Thanks Hugh, you are the man.

Glad your still doing this.  Thanks for the advice.  Okay, I've got to chose between Carr and McNair to start week 1.  I'm thinking of getting rid of Carr as he's looked terrible in preseason so I'm a little afraid to even play him.  On the other hand, McNair plays at Pitt.  What do you think?  Thanks

963287[/snapback]

I think that pretty much sucks. Who's available on the WW? McNair at Pittsburgh is not a good option.

As long as you continue to agree with me, feel free to post any time. :D

963291[/snapback]

Well, I agree with you on the Lewis/Dillon thread. IMO, Lewis has the potential for a HUGH season, as he did two years ago, but he is also riskier than Dillon. Dillon is a pretty safe bet for an above average RB season bordering on top ten season, but you are not likely to get that record type year.

Stick with Lewis... if he is in his 2000 yard a season form he can carry a team, Dillon is better as a complementary back.

Interesting. You said yourself that Collins was your hit or miss guy, so I think your initial intention was to wait and see. I'd have to agree with your initial instinct, especially against one of the best defenses in the league. There are a lot of question marks and new faces on the Raiders offense, let's see how they play before we start playing Collins. Go with Palmer.

963279[/snapback]

I think there are question marks everywhere in this inquiry - will OAK's offense click right off the bat? Will the Pats' D be the same with all of their losses? Will Crennell be able to install a viable D in CLE this quickly? The last game that Palmer had against CLE, he threw for 250 YDS and 4 TDs - I like those odds and I can't imagine that Romeo will be able to turn it all around so quickly.

6 points for each touchdown.

2 points for each 2-point conversion.

1 bonus points for scores from 21 to 50 yards.

2 bonus points for scores from 51 to 75 yards.

4 bonus points for scores from 76 to 100 yards.

1 bonus points for 50 to 74 total yards.

2 bonus points for 75 to 99 total yards.

3 bonus points for 100 to 149 total yards.

5 bonus points for 150 to 199 total yards.

8 bonus points for 200 to 300 total yards.

Right now I have Ashley Lelie vs. Miami & Anquan Boldin vs. New Orleans penciled in to start, with an big asterisk on Charles Rogers vs. Green Bay. Should I swap out either receiver for Rogers?

Hugh....love to see you doing this again this year.  You really are great for this site.  I have 2 questions for 2 different leagues I am in...here goes:

C. Johnson @ CLE

Steve Smith vs. NO

M. Clayton @ MIN

E. Kennison vs. NYJ

M. Jones vs. SEA

T. Taylor vs. TB

R. Williams vs. GB

C. Johnson is for sure so I need to decided between the rest. I am leaning towards S. Smith and M. Clayton. We also get .5 points per reception. Scoring is in my sig line. Thoughts?

Also I need to pick 2 of these WR's:

R. Wayne @ BALT

L. Coles @ KC

L. Evans vs. HOU

T. Houshmandzedah vs. CLE

I am leaning towards Wayne and COles...Thoughts?  Thanks Hugh, you are the man.

963293[/snapback]

I think those are pretty easy. I'd start CJ, Smith and Clayton, and then I'd start Wayne and Coles.

Hey Hugh, as always, glad to see you back again buddy. I bet the kid is getting hugh!!! Hope all is well. :D

I have a question, not necessarily for Week 1 play, but for a Week 1 transaction. Standard performance league (Passing TD 6 points and Passing yards 1 per 20).

I currently have Bulger as my starting QB with Carr as my back-up. I am looking out to Bulger's Week 9 bye week. I am comparing Carr to Harrington to see who would be a better back-up. Here are the options:

Carr vs. Jax :D

Harrington vs. Minn :D

There are slim pickins left on the waiver wire for QB and those are the best options (others available are Volek, Rattay, etc.) :D

********The only other option I would consider would be Eli Manning as the Giants play SF. Very tempting against a prous D, but haven't seen Manning in action yet. :D

Please help a brother out.

As always, thanks and looking forward to another Huddle season with some Hugh advice! :D

Ok I need a little help.

Standard scoring, start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, K, D

Need to pick 2 RB, * indicates who I have starting right now

*Portis, Wash v. Chic.

*A.Green, GB @ DET

Martin, Jets @ KC

rest of bench

Davenport, Benson, Suggs

So I'm kinda torn between Green and Martin, both have good matchups

Rest of starters

P.Manning, Driver, S.Smith, McMichael, Akers, NE D

going againts

Delhomme, J.Jones, M.Anderson (Dillon), Wayne, S.Moss, Pollard, Kaeding, Buff D (Balt D)

His RB scare me a little but I'm hoping Manning makes the difference

Thanks Hugh!

Of the 3, which one would you start?

Standard scoring, no points for receptions.

Jordan vs NE

Arrington vs NYG

Brown vs Den

I'm leaning towards Jordan, even against NE. I think Oak has the best chance to open up running lanes with their passing attack. Arrington is a close second against a weaker D, but I wanna see a few performances first before starting him.

Brown - x factor. Bad offense. Not much of a consideration for now.....

Thanks Hugh!

I posted this in another thread...I'm interested in your opinion.

12 team league, standard performance scoring, start 2WRs, 2RBs and 1 Flex.

My Roster:

RBs: Priest, JJones, Jordan, MAnderson, WParker, MMoore & RMoats

WRs: AJohnson, MiClayton, LEvans, BEdwards

Other Guy's Roster:

RBs: Arrington, Fargas, Toefield

WRs: Harrison, DDriver, Stokley, Lloyd, MRobinson, Patten & Stallworth

(rookie who thought there would be plenty of RBs left later in the draft and never caught on when everyone else was drafting primarily RBs :D )

I'm thinking of offering Jordan & Anderson for Arrington & Harrison. It obviously makes my WRs stronger, but is Arrington enough of a wash with Jordan to make the upgrade at WR worth it? I'm worried that I'm just upgrading my WRs while downgrading my RBs and coming out even except with less RB depth. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Right now I have Ashley Lelie vs. Miami & Anquan Boldin vs. New Orleans penciled in to start, with an big asterisk on Charles Rogers vs. Green Bay.  Should I swap out either receiver for Rogers?

963333[/snapback]

I stick with Lelie and Boldin until we see what sort of distribution of the ball happens in Detroit.

I am comparing Carr to Harrington to see who would be a better back-up. Here are the options:

Carr vs. Jax :D

Harrington vs. Minn :D

963337[/snapback]

IMO, I like Harringotn, simply because of the weapons he has. As you are going to go Bulger all season barring injury, I think harrington is more likely to give you that explosive game when you are without your main QB, while Carr is more of a consistent 225-250 yards with 1-2 scores.

If your primary QB was a little less secure, I would advise towards Carr as I would want a safer option in case I needed him more than one week, but, as that is not the case, I say go for the home run with Harrington