[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T Calico

MrTed46

I don't think it was double ACL surgery. He tore some cartilage in one knee, and sprained ligaments in the other. When he made his comeback for one week, he had some discomfort. The Titans decided to shut him down for the year, and he opted for surgery for a "frayed" ACL injury from high school. I don't think either of his ACL's were actually torn.

Here's a little article on him from Fanball.com:

Player Spotlight: Tyrone Calico

Calico scored on his first two NFL catches.

By John Tuvey, Senior Editor

September 5, 2005 10:00 AM ET

Remember everything we said about Tyrone Calico being a sleeper receiver heading into last season? Well, we're saying it again, and this time we mean it.

The 2004 campaign had breakout written all over it for Calico, a sleeper second-round pick out of Middle Tennessee State back in 2003. At that time, the Titans had Derrick Mason as their go-to guy and were seeking a home-run threat on the opposite side. They ran through a bevy of small-school, mid-round picks and found Justin McCareins.

And then, prior to last season, they traded him away because they were so enamored with Calico's mouth-watering size-speed combo.

Calico certainly burst onto the scene with a flourish, catching a touchdown pass in each of his first two NFL games and amassing 184 receiving yards in his next two. However, his rookie season was primarily one of adjustment, and he hit the rookie wall hard—just two catches and zero touchdowns after mid-November.

But with McCareins out of the picture, Calico was poised to step into the Titans' starting lineup and fulfill all our sleeper prophecies.

Unfortunately, Cowboys d-back Roy Williams would have something to say about that.

Williams horse-collared Calico in an exhibition game and yanked him backwards, damaging both of Ty's knees. The initial report wasn't bad, and after missing a month Calico returned to the lineup.

Again, his knees let him down. Calico made a catch against the Chargers, turned upfield to run for yardage, and collapsed to the ground.

That was 11 months ago. Since then, Calico has had surgery to repair cartilage, ACL, and medial meniscus damage in his left knee—some of it dating back to his college days—and done the full rehab thang. He missed the first two preseason games getting back to full speed, but had four catches in the final two exhibition tilts and is looking like his old self.

Which brings us back to why, once again, Calico is a favorite sleeper receiver.

Unless his surgeon made a terrible mistake, Calico is still 6-foot-4—or about half a foot taller than most defensive backs. Hard work in rehab and the miracles of modern medicine have restored most, if not all, of his 4.34 speed. And the Titans, who allowed 30 or more points seven times last season and lost both their starting cornerbacks in the offseason, will offer ample opportunity for the Titans to go up top.

Tennessee also sports two quality quarterbacks, which ensures that whomever is chucking the ball Calico's way will do so with aplomb. And with Mason now in Baltimore, there's an opening opposite Drew Bennett in the starting lineup.

In fact, Bennett did what we thought Calico would do last year, going off for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns opposite Mason. This year, it will be Bennett asked to draw the double coverages and be the Titans' No. 1, and Calico sparkling just out of the spotlight.

That's what we thought would happen last year—and it did, only to Bennett.

This year, we're banking on Calico. Again.

I don't think either of his ACL's were actually torn.

968561[/snapback]

Actually you're partly right Hook. He didn't tear both ACL's, just the one. The damage to the right knee was strained ligaments.

"three key players who went down last season with torn ACLs — safety Tank Williams, receiver Tyrone Calico and offensive lineman Jacob Bell"

www.usatoday.com

"Calico injured both knees in the preseason last year, then was sidelined for good after damaging the left knee in a game at San Diego on Oct. 3. He underwent surgery on Oct. 14 to repair the medial meniscus and the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee."

www.profantasysports.com

Even more importantly, Calico himself is not trusting of the knee;

"As with most injuries, it is the mental aspect that has been hardest to overcome. Well after Calico's knee was physically ready, he was still second-guessing its stability.

"You're making your cuts, your knee can handle it, but then your mind is like, 'I don't want to push off this hard,' " Calico said. "You think about it a lot because you don't want to injure it again and go through that same process."

www.tennessean.com

Actually you're partly right Hook. He didn't tear both ACL's, just the one. The damage to the right knee was strained ligaments.

"three key players who went down last season with torn ACLs — safety Tank Williams, receiver Tyrone Calico and offensive lineman Jacob Bell"

www.usatoday.com

"Calico injured both knees in the preseason last year, then was sidelined for good after damaging the left knee in a game at San Diego on Oct. 3. He underwent surgery on Oct. 14 to repair the medial meniscus and the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee."

www.profantasysports.com

Even more importantly, Calico himself is not trusting of the knee;

"As with most injuries, it is the mental aspect that has been hardest to overcome. Well after Calico's knee was physically ready, he was still second-guessing its stability.

"You're making your cuts, your knee can handle it, but then your mind is like, 'I don't want to push off this hard,' " Calico said. "You think about it a lot because you don't want to injure it again and go through that same process."

www.tennessean.com

968662[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was not completely torn. It was damaged from a previous high school or college injury, and they decided to clean it all up at once. Not debating that the ACL was not operated on, as your above articles state, only the extent of the damage. I guess I'm assuming that a "frayed" ACL is better than a torn one, though. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was not completely torn.  It was damaged from a previous high school or college injury, and they decided to clean it all up at once.  Not debating that the ACL was not operated on, as your above articles state, only the extent of the damage.  I guess I'm assuming that a "frayed" ACL is better than a torn one, though.  :D

968684[/snapback]

Torn or frayed.....I still wouldn't touch him with Spain's favorite goat's pecker....this year anyway