[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams

satelliteoflovegm

We have rule for non-injury reserve but to use it the player must be on your team when the "issue" occurs. Ex. drug suspension, retirement, etc...

I know he serves his suspension the first weeks of the season but when did he BECOME suspended. Is it week one or when he signed with the Dolphins again or when he filed his unretirement papers?

Opinions are welcome but what I really hope for is a link to factual statement. I of course will check myself but was hoping for some help.

Thanks

I believe when he signd the re-entry to the NFL papers. Last year he could have served and then started out fresh this year, but didn't, so when he decided to un-retire he was subject to the suspension. That is how I saw it.

How does your league see these things?

When the team drafted him I said it might be an option, the non-injury reserve. But I would have to find some language somewhere.

The rule says it is commish discretion and case by case basis.

If I can't find language stating something specific then I think I will say he is "suspended" when he actually is suspended. Sunday the 11th is his first missed game.

Thanks so far, any other help I would be greatful.

i've actually tried to do a bit of research and all I have come up with so far is this....

Ricky Williams was officially supsended bye the NFL for four games when he filed his unretirement paperwork. The reason the language is confusing is because the suspension doesn't hurt him in any way until week 1.

THis does appear to be up to commissioner descretion, but I would have to say that if I was the commissioner, I would declare him suspended when the league handed out the suspension. Right now I consider him suspended.

Sorry about that I meant that's when it ended. You can also go to Yahoo sports and go under  the Dolphins team news and it states suspension began Friday

966990[/snapback]

I found what you are refering to and I don't want to bore people with this. But the difference I am trying to determine is between when he was suspended a (?) and when he began serving the suspension. Or the possibility it is the same time. As you pointed out helpfully, friday at midnight.

What peaked my interest is Seahawks21 statement that Williams was suspended when he signed his un-retirement papers. Where did you get that from, that is the key to my decision.

The key is he was drafted 8-27-05 by team A, if he was suspended friday at midnight he is eligible for non-injury reserve. If it was when he filed his unretirement papers then he is not eligible.

I am again greatful for the help and anxious for a response from Seahawks21.

I found what you are refering to and I don't want to bore people with this. But the difference I am trying to determine is between when he was suspended a (?) and when he began serving the suspension. Or the possibility it is the same time. As you pointed out helpfully, friday at midnight.

What peaked my interest is Seahawks21 statement that Williams was suspended when he signed his un-retirement papers. Where did you get that from, that is the key to my decision.

The key is he was drafted 8-27-05 by team A, if he was suspended friday at midnight he is eligible for non-injury reserve. If it was when he filed his unretirement papers then he is not eligible.

I am again greatful for the help and anxious for a response from Seahawks21.

967406[/snapback]

I understand rules are in place for a reason, but let's be serious: This really shouldn't matter. He was not suspended because he was eligible to play in preseason games.

Antonio Gates was "suspended" and did not play in the last 2 preseason games. By your rules, sounds like he should be ineligible for non-injury reserve.

Yeah I see your point, but the rule does differ between NFL suspensions and individual team suspensions. Which your example is an illustration of. I just want to make the right decision based on our rules and be done with it.

So many others are better than I at finding buried news stories and links. So I was hoping for help.

What I have found can go either way. Any lawyers out there?

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

Ricky Williams, The Nfl, The Miami Dolphins and anyone else that watches the NFL at all knew that Ricky Williams was going to have to serve a 4 Game suspension when he came back.

He was suspended when he signed his contracts. He was also told at that time the dates of the suspension would be such as to encompass the 1st 4 weeks of the regular season.

So he had been suspended when he signed his contract and now he is serving that suspension.

So unless you drafted before he signed with the Dolphins he was already suspended when he was drafted. Which by your rule means he is not eligible for the non-injury reserve because he was not on the guys team when the suspension was handed down.

I drafted him late in one of my leagues with the knowledge that he would be on the shelf until week 6 because of his suspension and Miami's early bye week.

Edited by Jrick35

Thanks for the input. For those who took the time to reply here is what I decided. I believe he was suspended the second he signed his reinstatement papers. He waited the year and a day to avoid the year suspension and only get the 4 games.

So he was suspended in july and he began serving it last friday. Therefore he is not eligible for non-injured reserve.

Thanks for the help.