[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans Trade LB Rocky Calmus to Indy

spain

Calmus traded to Colts

Titans cut Payton, Redman, leaving no third-team QB

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

When linebacker Rocky Calmus began hearing trade buzz with his name attached, he could hardly believe it.

He didn't doubt that his address might change on NFL cut-down day, "but when I heard the Colts were a possibility … I kept thinking in the back of my mind, 'They would never let me go to the Colts, a division rival,' '' Calmus said.

He believes it now. On the day the Titans trimmed their roster to 54 players — releasing running back Jarrett Payton, quarterback Chris Redman and eight others — their biggest move turned out to be a trade.

The Titans sent Calmus, their third-round pick in 2002, to Indianapolis for an undisclosed pick in next year's draft. It's expected to be a sixth- or seventh-rounder.

"It was a very difficult situation from the standpoint of letting go a great person and a fine player of starter caliber like Rocky, but with Brad (Kassell's) emergence and the emergence of the younger players behind him we took advantage of need,'' Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said.

" … Because of the salary cap situation we have been put in the position to keep some younger players with potential as opposed to the luxury of keeping veteran back-ups. However, we do feel that the players we have kept give us, with their potential, the best chance of winning.''

The Titans also had discussions with two other teams regarding Calmus, but the Colts were the most interested party, Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said.

Calmus started eight games in 2003 before a leg injury sidelined him the rest of the season. He also entered the 2004 season as the starter, but back and hamstring injuries limited him to just four games.

In his absence, Kassell played well and was the team's second-leading tackler last season.

Calmus said he's disappointed he didn't get a chance to compete with Kassell in training camp this year. Fisher said Kassell earned the starting job based on his performance last season.

Calmus and linebacker Peter Sirmon were the team's leading tacklers in the preseason with 13 each.

"I felt like I did my part, I did all I could do. I just don't feel like I was ever given a chance to compete for the spot and that is the only thing that kind of left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole deal,'' Calmus said.

"I didn't get a chance to work with the (first team), get a chance to split reps. Other guys have gotten hurt and had a chance to come back in their old spot, but maybe their back-ups didn't come in and play as well as mine did. … But other than that I enjoyed my time here.''

Fisher said he didn't consider sending Calmus to a division rival a risk, but "of course we are going to have to change our signals.'' Calmus will have a chance to earn a starting job with the Colts, who remain unsettled at middle linebacker.

"I still believe I have a lot of football left in me. I am going to practice and work hard and do all the things I've always done, but not necessarily because I have a chip on my shoulder or anything like that,'' Calmus said. "But I hope to make the Titans second-guess themselves. Of course I'd like to make them regret it.''

In addition to Payton and Redman, the Titans also released safeties Norman LeJeune, Arturo Freeman and Marcus Randall, running back Larry Croom, defensive tackle Marcus White and fullback Robert Douglas. Safety Sam Massey and running back Joe Smith were released from the NFL Europe injured list.

The release of Redman, who was signed late last month, leaves the Titans with just two quarterbacks. Fisher said there's a chance the Titans will head to Pittsburgh for the season opener next Sunday with just Steve McNair and Billy Volek, but will sort through the list of quarterbacks released by other teams and could sign one soon.

The Titans clearly wanted to go younger and cheaper at safety based on the decision to release Freeman, a six-year veteran who was also signed last month.

The Titans ended up sticking with fifth-round pick Damien Nash over Payton as the third running back, at least for now. Nash saw little action in the preseason due to injury.

"Jarrett has given us everything he has and certainly played well enough to make this team,'' Fisher said. "But Damien has an upside. He has some run skills without question and he has just not had an opportunity to display them.''

For now the Titans have an extra roster spot since tackle Brad Hopkins is currently on the suspended list for Week One, but will have to trim from 54 to 53 after the Pittsburgh game.

Fisher and Reese warned that many players who survived yesterday's cuts shouldn't rest easy.

"This roster very well may change before kickoff against the Steelers. This roster is not necessarily set,'' Fisher said. "We are going to look at the wire and see if we can improve upon what we have here. However I feel good about this roster right now.'' •

Wow...can't imagine he'll beat out Brackett in the middle, but you have to believe Rob Morris is totally, completely worthless now.

966630[/snapback]

And what experience would you have to base that statement. What do you know about Brackett, Calmus, or the Indy LB situation. please tell us. :D

I can't imagine they brought in Calmus for the #3 role.

Rob Morris sucks so bad it is unbelievable. The Colts have had him on special teams this year.

What this trade says to me is that they aren't sold on either Brackett or Morris and are adding depth.

Plus, the Colts need that depth at LB after Pope got suspended.

Edited by CaptainHook

link

CALMUS TO BACK UP THORNTON: Rocky Calmus, obtained in a trade Saturday from the Tennessee Titans, will backup David Thornton at strongside linebacker, Dungy said Monday afternoon.

Calmus, a four-year NFL veteran, played middle linebacker with the Titans and mostly weakside linebacker while playing at the University of Oklahoma.

He said he initially thought he was being obtained by the Colts to play in the middle, but learned upon arrival he would be outside.

“I’m right behind David,” Calmus said. “He said he’s willing to help out a lot, so I’m looking forward to it.”

The Colts also acquired linebacker Keith O’Neil off waivers from Dallas on Monday.

Second-year outside linebacker Gilbert Gardner sustained an ankle injury in the preseason finale and outside linebacker Kendyll Pope has been suspended for the season by the NFL.

“Rocky Calmus and Keith O’Neil are guys who have played in the league and done well,” Dungy said. “We’ve got some injuries, and also Kendyll Pope’s situation at linebacker. That necessitated making a few moves, but we think those guys are going to add some things to it.”

:D what a puss.  Calmus pulled a hammy in practice on Thursday.  The Colts put him on IR on Saturday. :doah:

980710[/snapback]

Titans basically dumped him because that didnt want to carry his salary on their cap. Indy only had to give up a 7th rounder, but had to take his salary. He is there for less than a week and gets put on IR.