[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

betting league

crispirons

a few of us got together to test our handicapping skills against one another. we posted here on the main board for all to see. it was pretty fun. in a close battle until the end....i was able to hold off a late rush by the good dr. sacrebleu. this yr we have expanded to include a few more eggspurts. please feel free to ridicule, lambast, harass, and anything else you see fit about our picks. we encourage it. here are the numbers this week that we will be working with. our picks will be posted by thursday nights.

oakland

new england - 7.5 o/u 50

denver - 4.5 o/u 38

miami

cincinatti

cleveland +3.5 o/u 44

buffalo -5.5 o/u 38.5

houston

pittsburgh

tennessee + 7 o/u 40

washington - 5.5 o/u 33

chicago

carolina - 7 o/u 45

new orleans

minnesota -6 o/u 43

tampa bay

jacksonville -3 o/iu 39.5

seattle

new york jets

kansas city -3 o/u 47.5

new york giants - 2.5 o/u 37.5

arizona

st. louis

san francisco +5.5 o/u 46

detroit -3 o/u 46

green bay

sandiego -4.5 o/u 40

dallas

indianapolis -3 o/u 46.5

baltimore

philadelphia pick

atlanta pick o/u 41.5

As KUB said, I don't think the Philly and Denver points are right.

-Philly wins in Atlanta, and I think they aren't getting more points because of the beleif that TO will bring the team down. TO is a jerk, but a consumate proffesional jerk.

- denver. In general I beleive that at the start of the season, no one is as good as thought, and no one is as bad as thought. Which leads to inflated point spreads. Was surprised to see that there just wasn't that much point spread inflation for week 1. I guess there is always a chance that Miami keeps it close and low scoring.....but I don't think so.

-New Orleans. Now there is that famous no one being that good or that bad at the beginning of the season. The Panthers are everyone's secret pick for the superbowl. The spread shows the bias, and frankly if you think that the hurricane will have demoralized the Saints, just remember that athletes for the vast majority don't care about the world about them, and if they do they'll win one for the city

-New England/ Oakland under. Everyone si expecting the new improved Oaklanbd defense to put up a zillion points. They are going up against the best defense in the league. Final score Pats 27 Oakland 21

And I will crush you all this season

Home teams in bold (for my own convenience)

oakland

new england - 7.5 o/u 50

denver - 4.5 o/u 38

miami

cincinatti

cleveland +3.5 o/u 44

buffalo -5.5 o/u 38.5

houston

pittsburgh

tennessee + 7 o/u 40

washington - 5.5 o/u 33

chicago

carolina - 7 o/u 45

new orleans

minnesota -6 o/u 43

tampa bay

jacksonville -3 o/iu 39.5

seattle

new york jets

kansas city -3 o/u 47.5

new york giants - 2.5 o/u 37.5

arizona

st. louis

san francisco +5.5 o/u 46

detroit -3 o/u 46

green bay

san diego -4.5 o/u 40

dallas

indianapolis -3 o/u 46.5

baltimore

philadelphia pick

atlanta pick o/u 41.5

Green Bay +3 -- Yep, I'm starting out the year with a homer pick. Prevalent opinions are that the Packers are in for a rough year. They may be, but they're not as bad as people think. C'mon -- underdogs against the Kitties? That's absurd.

Arizona +2.5 -- Eli's first game with a semi-sore elbow will be against Clancy Pendergrast's confusing defense full of young, healthier playmakers. Arizona's weakness right now is the interior offensive line. Guess where the Giants' weakness is? That's right -- interior defensive line. They won't be able to exploit the Cardinals, so I think AZ will win this one easily.

Tampa Bay +6 -- MAYBE the Vikings will be as good as advertised...but not in Week 1. The defense looked like it should in the preseason -- a group of young newcomers struggling to play as a team. The Bucs are good enough on offense to score on the learning Minnesota defense and they're good enough on defense to not allow the Vikes to beat them soundly. This game will be close and the Bucs could win.

Denver -4.5 -- I tried to come up with a reason not to pick this game, but I couldn't. Miami will be a very bad team for at least the first 4-5 weeks as they try to adjust to radically different offensive and defensive schemes. In contrast, Denver's young players have had lots of continuity and the team is still quite talented top to bottom. I envision a double-digit victory for the Broncos.

Den -4.5 OVER Mia - ponies always perform just swell in the regular season, it's the postseason they stink in; and, oh yeah, always bet against the high-profile college coach

Cin -3.5 over Cle - generally, ANY rebuilding takes at least half a season to take hold; Bengals are loaded for bear, Browns are rebuilding

St L -5.5 OVER SF - same as Cinci/Cle

Phi EVEN over Atl - Falcs just aren't in the Eagles class yet

Denver - 4.5 over Miami

Miami wouldn't be able to beat Boondock High in week 1.

Kansas City -3 over NY Jets

KC is a pinball scoring machine. Jets just cannot keep up with Pennington at the helm.

Indianapolis -3 over Baltimore

That amounts to 1 point for each 20 hours of film Peyton has watched on Balt in the last 3 months.

Philadelphia pick over Atlanta

Vick sucks, that's all you need to know.

Edited to bold my picks

Edited by DKF

philadelphia pick

As DKF said.....

chicago + 5.5

Homer pick

carolina - 7

I think Carolina goes all the way this year.

sandiego -4.5

Brees repeats last season and if he goes down I think Rivers can go with it.

Tenn/Steeters Over 40: I am no lover of Ben Ruthlessturdburglar, but he should light up this Titans secondary. With the loss of their 2 starting cornerbacks and 2 starting Defensive Ends in the off season, the titans will be ripe for the picking on. The titans have a healthy Steve McNair and Chris Brown to score points as well. I see a fairly high scoring affair along the lines of 27-21.

Philadelphia (pick): Like most avid ff players, I am not a Ron Mexico fan. His team gets over-valued because the most football fans love his potential and athleticism. But the Eagles are simply better than the Falcons at this point in time and should handle the Dirty Birds fairly easily: eagles 31 Falcants 17

St Louis-5.5: The 49ers are the worst team in football and will not challenge the Rams. Bulger should have a field day. Rattay is a better option than Smith, but no way can they keep up with St Louis. Rams 30 49rs 20

Denver -4.5 Miami hit rock bottom last year. Nick Saban needs time, and players, to turn this ship around. Denver takes advantage of a depleted Dolphins team. Miami's day will come, but it aint today. Broncos 23 Fins 10

How did only 2 people pick St. Louis over the 49ers?  That is going to be a blow out. 

972996[/snapback]

Its simple, there is a higher percentage chance of the other games beating the spread that this one beating the spread. I thought about picking StL, but the other 4 were more of a lock.

How did only 2 people pick St. Louis over the 49ers?  That is going to be a blow out.

972996[/snapback]

I can't say the Niners are up for a game with them, but I would never consider St. Louis a gimme on the road.

BTW, I wanna play....

Edited by godtomsatan

Apparently, I've been welcomed aboard. I will do my darndest, but mind you, I suck when I prognosticate, so enjoy my $$$.

These were the most glaring numbers this week to me:

TEN/PIT OVER 40

spain pretty much stole my thunder on this one.

DEN/MIA OVER 38

Both of these teams will finish last place in their respective divisions. I'm picking Miami in the office pool this week, but too shy to lay the 5 1/2 in this one.

ARI/NYG OVER 37.5

This game will be close. 23-20 Giants is my call. 2 big afternoons from the respective backfields.

GB +3 @ DET

I'll start buying the hype on the up-and-coming teams when they convincingly win a game or two. In 2004, the MC Kitties were -3 at the Betty Ford Clinic vs. the Pack and got drilled 38-10.

Apparently, I've been welcomed aboard. I will do my darndest, but mind you, I suck when I prognosticate, so enjoy my $$$.

974685[/snapback]

crispy's hook-up will probably put it to good use. :D

Edited by Chavez

welcome godtomsatan. we had an opening with sarge bowing out so good luck to you. a couple of rules i didn't send you. you must always harass the frenchie. call josh by his fusion nickname....jewish princess. try not to spit your coffee out on the computer when you see some of the gems spain and chavez pick.

i'm a little worried about robn and the member of our armed forces swisscheesehead. i think they will provide the most competition this yr.

We need the home teams differentiated somehow. Who's running this operation?

:D

971180[/snapback]

You ask FAR too much from crisp - ever notice he can't even find the darned shift key?

You ask FAR too much from crisp - ever notice he can't even find the darned shift key?

979469[/snapback]

And I'm still waiting for the correct email for the third time.

:D:D