[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why I Might Start Parker Over Edge

DexterDew

holy shyt, i think you have the same problem i was having, and the same backfield, i too have edge, sjax, and parker, but he's my edge (i hope) i'm starting collins tonight, and if i don't think he'll outscore or compare to favre vs detroit then parker gets the gamblers nod on sundaY!!! i do like your comparison, i also checked last year's stats, and i play lots of madden and from madden experience i know it's hard to run against 4-6. It's very easy to pass on 4-6 (madden only).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now YOU have lost it.  You are going to bench Deuce against the team he ran for like 160 yards and a TD on at the end of last season? Deuce is definitely UNBENCHABLE. 

True always start your stud doesn't always apply.  But, in this case it does.  Edge will get 20 + touches.  While he may not get 100 yards on the ground, I'll wager he'll get oer 100 total and around 80 rushing + a TD.  Who knows what Parker will bring.  He's unproven and no one know how he will be used.  I can guarantee that Haynes will almost get a 50-50 split.  If you think Parker will beat out Edge with half the carries, then by all means start him.  But don't get missing on Monday when we all come back to say we told you guys  :D so.

974634[/snapback]

You mean the game where most of Carolina's D was on IR? The Carolina D at the end of last year barely resembles what they are putting on the field this year. Carolina has held McAllister in check in the past and could very well do it again.

I would take the risk and start Parker. I've done this kind of thing before with 50/50 results. In this case, I would give Parker the start and I really don't think there will be a 50/50 split in carries. Give him a shot. Unless you league rewards points for receptions, go with Parker.

Edited by NAUgrad

Your right "always start your studs" is a brainless response and most defiantly does not always apply.

I will also be benching my 1st round pick Dominick Davis for Willie Parker this week.

I say, go for it! Even if you are wrong, based on the matchups, you’re not going to be wrong by much. I would not be the least bit shocked if Parker ends up with 120-130 yards and 2 TD's. I fully expect Pitt to take an easy,early lead and run the **** out of the ball in the 2nd half.

974180[/snapback]

I too am unsure what to do with my week one line-up. I have D Davis and Westy slated to start as recomended by my own WDIS post. But I would be lying if I told you I was'nt thinking of starting Greene and Parker due to thier match-ups. IMO it is important to come out of the gate strong in FF, as week 1 is always a divisional match-up in my league. I am sticking with the rule as much as I think it is not sound enough reason due to it's sole lack of actual explaination. All your home work done is some fine research! However when I think about Buffalo and Baltimore's defensive units....both picked to be very high.....neither team has a proven Quaterback. If neither offense can sustain a drive and score...the D is going to get tired and the opposing Running Backs will have their way. How's that for food for thought? :D

Always start your studs is not a weekly proposition, it is a season long rule. By doing so you guarantee being right 10 or 11 weeks of a 14 week fantasy season.

Now suppose one of those 3 or 4 misses is this week and you DO get it right by starting Parker. Then what? You are more encouraged to try it again in the future and you won't always get it right. Kind of like the guy at the craps table who wins one bet on the field and thinks he's mking out like a bandit when in fact he loses more money over time. Therein lies the path to the Dark Side.

So Darth Parker - rise! You will fall.

nerd.gif

Very well thought out, and well reasoned. Now, I'm only going to say this once:

ALWAYS. START. YOUR. STUDS.

Especially when you start seriously considering starting Wille Parker over Edgerrin James. That way lies madness,man. Do you really want to be the guy who lost his week one game because He started a last-minute unproven waiver wire fad pickup over his (probably) number one pick?

971736[/snapback]

Only got through the first response... but that's all I need to read. Bonehead speaks the truth. The first commandment of Fantasy Football.

Ill make an arugment to start Edge

Who is the QB for Baltimore. thats right Kyle Boller, who will be harassed all day by Freeney outside and couldnt hit a wide open target without any pressure. This game is not going to be as close as many expect. I could easily see Indy win this game 24-10, with a heavy dose of Edge salting the clock in the 4th qtr.

Im prediciting 90 yds rushing, 1 TD and 3 receptions for 30 yds. in my scoring that is 21 points.

Willie Parker may very well score that many, but he may be benched after the first series too, and Edge isnt going to the bench regardless of how unproductive he is.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I'm glad that some people are raising the level of discourse and have begun to ask "why?"

I agree that 10-11 times this year that starting the stud Edge will pay off, I am just trying to fugure out when will be 3 or four times it doesn't work out (at BALT, at NE, vs Pitt). And since I have the depth at the position, I am not forced to start him.

I appreciate the post talking about BALTs switch to the 46 Defense. I hadn't even considered that facet. If I recall what the schematics are, they are four down linemen, six LBs and DBs, and one FS deep. That does not sound like the ideal situation for a RB.

I agree that 10-11 times this year that starting the stud Edge will pay off, I am just trying to fugure out when will be 3 or four times it doesn't work out (at BALT, at NE, vs Pitt). And since I have the depth at the position, I am not forced to start him.

The problem is that you'll never likely pick the 3 or 4 times.

The only way that you'll be sure to benefit from all those points that James is going to score this year is to start him.

I'm glad that some people are raising the level of discourse and have begun to ask "why?"

I agree that 10-11 times this year that starting the stud Edge will pay off, I am just trying to fugure out when will be 3 or four times it doesn't work out (at BALT, at NE, vs Pitt).  And since I have the depth at the position, I am not forced to start him.

I appreciate the post talking about BALTs switch to the 46 Defense.  I hadn't even considered that facet.  If I recall what the schematics are, they are four down linemen, six LBs and DBs, and one FS deep.  That does not sound like the ideal situation for a RB.

975757[/snapback]

you don't figure out when he isn't going to score top numbers...you drafted him high and he's your highest commodity...you took him to get the stud-like numbers that he's been known to produce...

so why bench him and miss out on an opportunity?...

for the record, I started Parker over Edge.

I won this week 166 to 141.3, and have an outside chance at high man, most likely #2.

Parker scored 49.8 points in my league, and Edge scored 22.8, for a difference of +27.0 points. If I didn't start Parker, and started my stud Edge, I would have lost week one (my bench did out score my starters 170.6 to 166, but that is another thread).

I know that it is a common fallacy to use a specific incident to prove a generalization (the gov't and media are great at that), but I will say that this one instance of starting Parker over Edge because of the match ups will cause me to look more closely every week.

The debate between my ears (if Parker will be the named starter again), is whether or not to start Parker over S Jackson in week 2. I think Edge will have a better game in Week 2 and will definately start him. By week 3, Cadillac will be part of that debate.

After watching most of the Lions game, Roy Williams looks like a poor choice as WR1 in week two, and I will probably bench him for Kennison and TJ, because of the match ups and the inability of DET to throw the ball. I don't think anybody is ready to proclaim Roy Williams a stud in the Edge mold, but you never know...

hey, more power to you dex. :D

bottom line is that every week you need to do your research and consider all angles when making your picks. i thought your argument was reasonable and going back and reading it, you were down right prophetic when estimating edge's numbers.

if all the choices in fantasy football were left to golden rules, what the heck would there be to talk about?

btw, i also have roy and have no idea what to do with him. i benched mason who looked darn good last night.

tony

This type of decision (W. Parker over a proven Edge) will burn you at times, but this week it definitely panned. Nice work. I think the reason why some people follow the "Always start studs" policy is because its easier to look at the random on your bench who outscores your starter than looking at your 'stud' on your bench and kicking yourself for benching him (not to mention your league will rip you to shreds for benching Deuce, Edgerrin, etc).

I thought Jackson matched up well versus the SF DEF, and more specifically, I thought STL would control the game. After watching the entire game yesterday, I have to echo Big Mama's sentiments: the SF DEF was doing a great job attacking at the line of scrimmage all game long. It almost seemed like they knew everytime STL was going to run. Plus the fact that STL was playing catch-up from the second quarter on (the STL special teams and coaches must take the short bus to the game because even after their playoff disaster in ATL, they still haven't learned to not step out at the one, not to fall for an on-side, and not to give up a punt return for a score), meant that STL had to abandond the run.

After that performance by Jackson and STL, I might wait until they get home, where they are a much better offensive football team.

I still think Jackson is a great RB2, especially with his schedule, but the concerns over Martz's play calling, the STL DEF and ST, and Faulk hanging out in the back ground, is why he is not an RB1 like other second year RBs: J. Jones, K. Jones and for all practicle purposes, MaGahee.

Thank God I had Bulger to diversify my Ram portfolio, which is why I reached at 2.09 to grab him (the fourth QB taken in a QB-heavy scoring league).

"for the record, I started Parker over Edge.

I won this week 166 to 141.3, and have an outside chance at high man, most likely #2 "

I also ended up winning my game this week 133 to 121. Thank you Willy Parker! Had I started Domick Davis, I would have recieved a big fat L.

It looks like Mr. Parker will be making our decisions much more difficult for at least the next couple weeks and maybe more. I personally have a very poor opinion of D. Staley and I think there’s an excellent chance Parker may permently earn his job.

“Always start your studs” my ass! no thank you, I prefer to take the time, do my homework and always consider but never over analyze my player’s matchups.

Edited by Tally

I think you are over-analyzing.  Don't bench your studs.

971789[/snapback]

I think starting Parker over Edge helped out. :D This ASYS thing doesn't work unless it's LT. :D

Benching Culpepper for another QB with their line hurt against Tampa would have been better than "ASYS!". It's all just 20/20 with the would-of/should of's, but you feel alot better when you take a chance and it's huge.

Sort of like benching Edge for Droughns last year. :D Or starting old man Stephen Davis last week.