[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ohio State / Texas

ROCKNE

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see Ohio State losing in the shoe to Texas, unless all of the sudden the Ohio State linebackers (who are FAR superior to the linebackers that Young torced in the Rose Bowl last year) forget that little thing called tackling. Young might get a good chunk of yards rushing, but it won't be the ridiculous long plays where any lb with any talent could have stopped him from making a touchdown like you saw in the Rose Bowl. I'll say Ohio State forces 3 turnovers and the Buckeyes win 20-10. If this game was played in Austin, I would definately give the nod to Texas, but, Ohio State doesn't play on the road so it isn't in Ausitn.

I just don't see Ohio State losing in the shoe to Texas, unless all of the sudden the Ohio State linebackers (who are FAR superior to the linebackers that Young torced in the Rose Bowl last year) forget that little thing called tackling. Young might get a good chunk of yards rushing, but it won't be the ridiculous long plays where any lb with any talent could have stopped him from making a touchdown like you saw in the Rose Bowl. I'll say Ohio State forces 3 turnovers and the Buckeyes win 20-10. If this game was played in Austin, I would definately give the nod to Texas, but, Ohio State doesn't play on the road so it isn't in Ausitn.

972530[/snapback]

I'm not a big Mack brown guy. I think OSU wins this one 27-17 in the shoe.

If this game was played in Austin, I would definately give the nod to Texas, but, Ohio State doesn't play on the road so it isn't in Ausitn.

972530[/snapback]

This is a home and home match-up. Ohio State travels to Austin on 9/9/2006.

Also, in 2007 the Buckeyes play at Washington (9/15/07) and in 2008 OSU has USC on the schedule in LA (9/13/08).

Schedule Link

Find me another team that plays 3 tougher teams, out of conference, on the road, in 3 consecutive years.

This is a home and home match-up.  Ohio State travels to Austin on 9/9/2006.

Also, in 2007 the Buckeyes play at Washington (9/15/07) and in 2008 OSU has USC on the schedule in LA (9/13/08).

Schedule Link

Find me another team that plays 3 tougher teams, out of conference, on the road, in 3 consecutive years.

975178[/snapback]

In 2004 OSU played at NC State.

Schedule Link

975178[/snapback]

What he said

At NC State and at Washington?  You gotta be able to give something better than that!  Texas and USC are good road games, but Washington and NC State?  C'mon!

975470[/snapback]

I thought NC State was ranked that year but upon checking, it was the prior year (2003) when Rivers was a senior and they finished 8-5. They were ranked in the top 15 early in the season before being upset by Wake right before the OSU game (multi-overtime thriller).

Washington - apparently I remember the Huskies of the 90's (5 Pac 10 titles from 1990 - 2000). They were awful last year (1-10). 2007 is a ways away but they will likely still not be a difficult opponent for the Buckeyes. I was wrong to include them on the list.

Well OSU has won 36 straight non-conference games at home. :D I'm a Longhorn fan, but this is gonna be a toughie. OSU is balanced, and good on both sides of the ball.

Texas is gonna need an EXTRA HUGH game from Young to compete. And their D cannot give up big plays and/or commit silly penalties.

Gonna be a doozy...

Schedule Link

975178[/snapback]

Notre Dame - who else?

2006 - @USC (along with GaTech&MichSt)

2007 - @Michigan (along with UCLA & Penn State)

2008 - @USC (along with Mich St, NC & BC)

Texas will find it difficult to have much luck on offense. OSU LBs will slow Young down considerably and Texas' young fresman back won't find any running room.  First team to 17 will win. Bucks should have at least 2 picks in this game.

972790[/snapback]

Actually the starting tailback for Texas is a Junior, Selvin Young. He did not play much in the first game, because he tweaked his ankle. He could have played more, but there was no reason to. As for the Freshman tailback, there are actually two. Jamaal Charles, who had 135 yards on Saturday, with a 9.6 yard per carry average and Henry Melton, who had 65 yards on 6 carries (10.8 yards per carry). Melton is 6-3 and 270 lbs. And yes he is a tailback, not a fullback, because he has tailback speed. So that gives Texas 4 players that are capable of a 100+ yard rushing game. Actually 5 if you count Ramonce Taylor a sophomore who is capable of starting at tailback for many teams, but Texas is starting him a wide receiver, just so they can get him into the game. I think that the question is not how good OSU linebackers are, but what kind of depth does OSU have at linebacker, because it is possible that they could be facing runners with “fresh” legs, the whole game.

I think at home OSU should win, but Texas is a VERY good team this year and I think OSU is a little over rated so I'll go with Texas. And I think for the first time in 75 years they can beat OU this year as well. If Brown, who is a bad big game coach period, they have SO much talent every year, can't beat OU this year considering they clearly are the better team he might as well quit tomorrow.

And something else OSU NEVER plays tough road games. Please guys look at their last 3 or 4 years. Maybe in the future they will, but come on it's a joke. They are always home seemingly.

Edited by giantsfan

And something else OSU NEVER plays tough road games. Please guys look at their last 3 or 4 years. Maybe in the future they will, but come on it's a joke. They are always home seemingly.

978277[/snapback]

I agree - didn't they have a year recently with 7-8 home games vs. only 4-5 away. Is this typical? If so, I guess there is no NCAA rule about keeping it 50-50, but BCS voters should keep it mind when contemplating their win-loss record...

I agree - didn't they have a year recently with 7-8 home games vs. only 4-5 away.  Is this typical?  If so, I guess there is no NCAA rule about keeping it 50-50, but BCS voters should keep it mind when contemplating their win-loss record...

978387[/snapback]

More a function of the quirks of scheduling. We just happened to have our return trips for future years. The last few years have admittedly had many more home games for the Bucks, but similar claims can be made for Michigan, USC etc., to slightly less degrees.

The bottom line is, none of the schools from major conferences is going to agree to anything other than a home and home. So, we will see our share of road games in the future. As for the smaller schools, like Ohio schools that we're almost mandated to play every year, it just doesn't make sense financially to play in their stadiums.