[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Caddy news from Gruden

mhayhurst

Rotoworld

Coach Jon Gruden said yesterday that the Bucs plan to play both Carnell Williams and Michael Pittman at the same time against the Vikings Sunday.

''When there's two backs in the backfield, you're thinking one of them is going to be a fullback and if that fullback motions out, heck, a linebacker should be able to cover a fullback,'' linebackers coach Joe Barry said. ''But when that fullback is a Michael Pittman or a Cadillac Williams, when you do that, it forces you as a defensive coach to be smart what you call because you don't want someone who can't cover that guy on him in space.''

Thought I'd post this. I think I'm starting Parker over Williams as my 3rd back (flex) although I still think Caddy will have a great day.

Its not saying that Williams will be sharing the load, just that he and Pittman might be used as receivers as well.

977841[/snapback]

Didn't say it was.

Just that Pittman will be used in the same back field in some formations. Just passing on interesting information that effects my team and others.

I agree SB, it seems, and rightfully so, that every rook is going to have their RB counter part play a role this week. The separation will occur, in my opion in weeks 2 and 3.

With all this said, I still think Caddy is a good play this week and was starting for my team until I grabbed Willie P off of WW.

It would be crazy to think they wouldn't use Pittman, He was their man last year. He is awesome at catching the ball. You can't let that kind of talent sit on the bench.

Against the Vikings, the Bucs will need to pass all day long in order to keep up. It would not surprise me to see Pittman with 100+ yrds and a TD.

to quote george sr.........."wouldn't be prudent" to give caddy 30 carries and the full load right away. too many bad things can happen. they will ease him in but i still think he gets 20-25 looks including passes. i don't own him in any leagues. :D give him some time.....he won't disappoint you guys. he might just not be "the bomb" right away. he gets an easy defense this week. that should help some.

Gruden has specific packages called the "rocket backfield" that uses both Pitt and Caddy in the backfield. Most of the time it calls for Pitt to motion out to the slot, forcing a Linebacker to cover him. This creates a mismatch and also opens up the box a little. The Bucs would be stupid to just leave Pitt on the bench because he probably would have ran for 1200 yards last season if it were not for his suspension. He is still a good runner and a very good pass catcher.

This is from K-Fan;

As talented as Williams is, he certainly isn’t a cure-all for the running game. The Bucs have two first-year starters on the offense line, including fourth-round pick Dan Buenning out of Wisconsin who will open the game at left guard. The left side has another first-year starter in Anthony Davis at tackle, and rookie Alex Smith out of Stanford will start at tight end as well.

That's every rookie RB now sharing carries in week 1.

977845[/snapback]

Don't sweat it.

Have you ever heard a coach talking about a rookie RB and say something like: "I'm going to put the rookie out there alone. I'm going to run him into the ground. No other RB on the team will get a carry. We're not going to give the defense any unsual looks - we're just gonna line up and run Cadillac right down their F&*ing throats time after time after time!!!!"

I would not alter my line-up based on Gruden's comments.

Buccaneers | Pittman/Williams Featured in "Rocket" Backfield

Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:13:09 -0700

Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers RBs Michael Pittman and rookie Carnell Williams will be featured in what is being dubbed the "Rocket" backfield by head coach Jon Gruden this year. The formation, which the club has yet to unveil in preseason, will be utilized with Pittman primarily lined up at fullback and Williams at halfback. "Both us are going to be on the field at the same time, with me playing fullback, and tailback and receiver and tight end," Pittman said. "I'll be able to line up everywhere. I can't give away too much. But I'm on the field, and catching the ball is just as good as running the ball to me."

This shouldn't be news. We knew that CWilliams will be the featured back. We also knew that MPittman will be lined up in different formations, to cause matchup problems for the defense. Pittman has soft hands, and can run after the catch. Give the defense another thing to game plan for. Nothing new.

Rotoworld

Coach Jon Gruden said yesterday that the Bucs plan to play both Carnell Williams and Michael Pittman at the same time against the Vikings Sunday.

''When there's two backs in the backfield, you're thinking one of them is going to be a fullback and if that fullback motions out, heck, a linebacker should be able to cover a fullback,'' linebackers coach Joe Barry said. ''But when that fullback is a Michael Pittman or a Cadillac Williams, when you do that, it forces you as a defensive coach to be smart what you call because you don't want someone who can't cover that guy on him in space.''

Thought I'd post this. I think I'm starting Parker over Williams as my 3rd back (flex) although I still think Caddy will have a great day.

977741[/snapback]

Maybe he's pulling a Mike Tice and saying the opposite of what he'll actually do?