[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CULPEPPER

Bombs Away

I heard he actually passed two touchdowns in the game to Wiggins..... :D

BUT.... they were called back due to penalties!!! :D

(Optimistic view is that had some dufus not committed the penalty, this would have been a 200+ 2TD game)

I know, I am reaching, but hell he was my second pick... :D

BUT....  they were called back due to penalties!!! :D

(Optimistic view is that had some dufus not committed the penalty, this would have been a 200+ 2TD game) 

987318[/snapback]

Well not really. Yes he passed for 2 touchdowns but if it were not for his fat offensive linemen holding Simeon Rice, he would have been flat on his ass like the rest of the game. Give the Bucs some credit.

987318[/snapback]

Well when you push he defender to the ground and then catch the ball that's what happens.

The dufus was Wiggins in the one case. I don't remember the other.

I agree totally with the last two posts. Gruden found Brian Williams every time he hit the field and exposed him again. Gruden/Kiffin vs. Tice/Loney/Cottrell will be a mismatch any time they take the field.

The first Wiggins penalty was a farce. No way that should have been called. That TD would have completely changed the complexion of the game.

As for Culpepper, I am dialing back my hopes for him a little bit. With McKinnie possibly injured for this week now on the OL, he may have even less protection on the blind side. I am confident they are still a playoff team, but they will have to change things up a little. I'd look for some designed rollouts, and Daunte to run the ball a bit more for the next couple of weeks, until they sort things out (hopefully).

The Vikings were in the game right up until that last dream-killing run by Cadillac. But let's face it, Culpepper was so amazingly horrible that he looked like a frightened rookie.

I realize his O-line played for crap. Still, he was completely baffled by the Tampa defensive schemes. He would audible right into their hands, which was half the problem. He got rattled and lost his nerve. His WR we're often open, but Duante couldn't find them with the Tampa defense loving him up all day.

And yet, I thoroughly believe that Culpepper is an elite QB in the NFL. He will definitely make a strong come back and have yet another great season, regardless of week 1. If you don't think he is embarrassed by his performance and eager to shake it off, you're nuts. Culpepper will certainly regain his composure and easily justify his high pre-season ranking.

everyone seems to believe culpepper will bounce back, but i'm curious just how he does that with no running game, average receivers, and a failing offensive line. as good as he is, how do you work this miracle? throw in tice for your coach and i just don't see it. the more you run cpep, the bigger a beating he takes. that cannot be your game plan. i'm afraid week 1, while it may get a little better, is showing us real concerns. dropping cpep a few notches as a result, and maybe even benching him until some positive signs surface, is not a bad idea IMHO.

tony

everyone seems to believe culpepper will bounce back, but i'm curious just how he does that with no running game, average receivers, and a failing offensive line.  as good as he is, how do you work this miracle?  throw in tice for your coach and i just don't see it.  the more you run cpep, the bigger a beating he takes.  that cannot be your game plan.  i'm afraid week 1, while it may get a little better, is showing us real concerns.  dropping cpep a few notches as a result, and maybe even benching him until some positive signs surface, is not a bad idea IMHO.

tony

987598[/snapback]

Tony you took the woords right out of my mouth.....

The OLine problems are worrisome. They need some semblance of a running game and pass protection in order to get the passing game going. It's only 1 game so we're all in 'wait and see' mode, but it's definitely a concern right now. I'd be more worried about the RB mess than Cpep's numbers from a fantasy standpoint though. If you were counting on Bennet producing, that could be a problem...

The game against the Bucs was not indicative of a future slide in Culpepper's expected output. He was under tremendous pressure against the Buc's pass rush. Before this game, the O-line has done quite while on pass blocking, even though they have struggled run blocking. The pass blocking did get better when they replaced a rookie they had at right guard.

Even given how bad the fantasy points were and how bad the blocking was and how bad the turnovers were , C-Pep still completed 2/3 of his passes and he really did have one legitimate TD pass called back.

Part of the problem started during the early game when C-Pep turned the ball over twice on a fumble and an interception. These first turnovers were not from Bucs pressure. The interception was a miscommunication with Burleson and the fumble ball slipped out of C-Pep's hands. Not so much due to pressure. These plays set the tone.

After the first couple of series the Vikings were moving the ball, but were way behind in time of possession. It was after the first turnovers when the Bucs D started putting on more pressure and forced some of the later turnovers.

C-Pep has had problems with turnovers and made excellent strides last year. He will rebound even without a running game.

987318[/snapback]

He was my 2nd pick also. Lets hope he performs accordingly very soon :D

The Vikings were in the game right up until that last dream-killing run by Cadillac.  But let's face it, Culpepper was so amazingly horrible that he looked like a frightened rookie.

I realize his O-line played for crap.  Still, he was completely baffled by the Tampa defensive schemes.  He would audible right into their hands, which was half the problem.  He got rattled and lost his nerve.  His WR we're often open, but Duante couldn't find them with the Tampa defense loving him up all day.

And yet, I thoroughly believe that Culpepper is an elite QB in the NFL.  He will definitely make a strong come back and have yet another great season, regardless of week 1.  If you don't think he is embarrassed by his performance and eager to shake it off, you're nuts.  Culpepper will certainly regain his composure and easily justify his high pre-season ranking.

987559[/snapback]

I like your thinking, I hope he shakes it off :D