[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver Wire question

Grogansghost

Which method do people prefer for ranking the waiver wire:

1. reverse order of draft picks. Or,

2. reverse standings after week one, which resets by standing at the start of each week.

I drafted second to last this year, but then put up the most points the first week. Okay, if you just lost it's tough to feel much sympathy, but I'm upset about missing my chance for Willie P.

Also, the 2nd ww structure seems pretty simple to manipulate. Once an owner clinches a playoff spot, he/she could submit an illegal line-up each week, get zero points, and guarantee top pick of the ww in case there's a significant injury. NOTE: I'm not advocating that at all, but it annoys me to have a system that rewards poor performance.

Neither. We always go by point totals or w/l records. I don't think the draft has anything to do w/ it, except maybe wk#1 before the first game, then reverse draft order, that is, Last gets ties.

Edit for:

Our ww is based on bid $$. The above only applies to ties. Everyone has an equal shot at any player w/ a blind bid. Bids are due by a specified time, w/ add/drop specs and a $ amount. Preference is only used in the case of the same player being bid on by 2 different teams, for the same $ amount. I've never been in a system where a lesser team/draft # gets the WW. $$ have always been involved.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Which method do people prefer for ranking the waiver wire:

1. reverse order of draft picks. Or,

2. reverse standings after week one, which resets by standing at the start of each week.

I drafted second to last this year, but then put up the most points the first week. Okay, if you just lost it's tough to feel much sympathy, but I'm upset about missing my chance for Willie P.

Also, the 2nd ww structure seems pretty simple to manipulate. Once an owner clinches a playoff spot, he/she could submit an illegal line-up each week, get zero points, and guarantee top pick of the ww in case there's a significant injury. NOTE: I'm not advocating that at all, but it annoys me to have a system that rewards poor performance.

987755[/snapback]

Bear in mind that the NFL itself has a system that rewards poor performance. It 's called parity and is underwritten by both the draft and the waiver system. I'm in a league this year which is using option 2 above and since I top scored this week, I'm #14 in line for the WW. No problem, I'd rather play in a league that has some competition for all than have owners abandoning teams halfway through.

We use reverse standings week to week for Tuesday, those are processed, and then Wednesday it is first come first serve.

Reverse draft standings is kind of strange, I don't like that.

Push for a rule change of first come first serve.

We used to have that but changed because of the people, me included, with work computer access scooping people up left and right. So the fairest thing is everyone puts in the waivers, and they are processed based on record.

Wow...guess it was my league last year that was "different". There it was set as the reverse order after the draft and then once you picked you went to the back of the line.

It was just surprising to realize I was last when I thought I'd get to pick second, but I will not fear change, and have faith that the Huddle helped me pick a team that won't fall apart after week one.

We have always used a worst to first waiver ranking. The problem is the same teams get all of the top free agents week after week.

So we changed ours to a more random event. We use our weekly scores to determine the order. Not lowest score to highest, but according to the closest scores landing on "0.0" for the last digit of their score. Say Team A scores 112.8, Team B scores 114.3, Team A is 2.8 from 0, Team B is 4.3, so Team A gets the first spot, team B would get 2nd.

This makes the waiver ranking random each week, with no way to cheat the system.

I couldn't talk the tight wads in our league into the blind bid waivers or an auction style.

More work for me the commish, but every team has a chance each week for the top pick. That was our goal.