[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok, so what's the skinny on Witten?

Glabra

There were pre-season reports on how he's been somewhat overlooked in the 'Boys offense, and that the availbility of Glenn and Price would likely cut into his touches.

I of-course ignored all that to draft him relatively high, given Parcells' man-love for him and his affinity for pass-catching TEs in general. :D

His 1-catch, 12 yd performance is a big concern for me however. I'm not sure how many looks he got or how many passes were thrown his way, but obviously the production is way below his 2004 pace.

That he won't repeat the level of his 2004 numbers is quite painfully obvious now. My question for people in the know about the Cowboys is, given the recent developments in the 'Boys offense and knowing Bledsoe's tendency to look for his TE(or lack thereof), is Witten destined towards a mediocre, 4/5 TD season, or can he still be serviceable enough at the level of a Wiggins, Pollard or a McMichael?

What do you think? What are other Witten owners' thoughts?

I seem to recall some statment by the Cowboys about how Whitten and Crayton were going to be sharing in the the looks that Whitten alone got last year.  Not good for Whitten owners, if true.

990575[/snapback]

You're talking about a WR and a TE. Different positions, different routes, different everything. That seems like a very odd statement. :D

If the Cowboys can consistantly find their WR's it is going to be a long year for Witten. the only reason he got so many passes last year was because they could not do anything downfield . If the offense is truley better this year it will mean a drop in Wittens stats.

That being said 50 catches is not bad for a TE and he should be able to do that if the offense continues to look good. I expect that last week was a fluke offensive game for the Cowboys though and that Witten will soon end up their only option once again and have another fine year when they are forced to throw to him over and over again late in games.

I may be a cheat, a liar, and dirty rotten SOB. But my FF memory is a steel trap.

Cowboys: Parcells provides Crayton-Witten take

09/13/05 10:32 AM

THE NEWS

Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton led the team with six catches for 89 yards and scored a touchdown in Sunday's opener, but tight end Jason Witten managed only one grab for 12 yards. Why was one so successful while the other was so quiet? "The way I look at it in this game is that Crayton got (Witten's) catches," head coach Bill Parcells told the team's official web site. "That's the way I look at it. Crayton was able to take advantage of some things. I don't care who catches them myself."

Our View

The problem with this situation is that fantasy owners rely heavily on Witten and not at all on Crayton. If, as insinuated, the two receiving options are basically grabbing from the same, limited pool, we're liable to see inconsistent stats from both Jason and Patrick.

If the Cowboys can consistantly find their WR's it is going to be a long year for Witten. the only reason he got so many passes last year was because they could not do anything downfield . If the offense is truley better this year it will mean a drop in Wittens stats.

990588[/snapback]

That's not necessarily true. If Dallas does that better teams will adjust opening opportunities for the TE. Only 1 game has passed, hang on, it's a long season. When Bledsoe starts fearing for his life he'll look for Witten more.

I was thinking Witten was a bit overvalued going into the season and my opinion certainly did not change with the week 1 performance.

That being said, I'd advise Witten owners to take a shot on a waiver wire TE if you don't have a solid back-up. But I wouldn't panic. Tight Ends, even the best ones have weeks that are real steaming piles of fantasy disaster.

You could look on it as Witten just has one of those steaming pile weeks "out of the way", and will get back to form this week and throughout the season.

One more week of steaming pile though, and you will find less takers in trade talks. Byt he time you figure out for sure that he is tanking he has no value at all. Tough call.

I'd ride it out if I were you.

That's not necessarily true. If Dallas does that better teams will adjust opening opportunities for the TE. Only 1 game has passed, hang on, it's a long season. When Bledsoe starts fearing for his life he'll look for Witten more.

990637[/snapback]

And those looks will be some of his 50 catches , not some of his 80 catches.

That being said I expect Bledsoe to not have time to find his WR's downfield and have to throw to Witten as the season moves along.I expect similar numbers to last year for him.

Cant remember where, but I read that SD made it a point all game long to blanket Witten so he was a non-factor.

Appears they succeeded and considering they have Gates and know what type of a weapon an effective TE can be, and considering how Witten was used last year, this gameplan by SD is more than believeable.

I'll wait a few weeks to see how he pans out before I start to worry.

You're talking about a WR and a TE. Different positions, different routes, different everything. That seems like a very odd statement. :D

990581[/snapback]

Right you are Mr. Obvious, but there's still only 1 available football to be received on any given play. Any receiver who is a viable target is by simple math going to cut into the numbers of the others around him regardless of the routes being run and the position being played. C'mon Hugh.

One week does not a season make. Even Gonzo had a bad week, so add in Cpep, DD, and a host of other highly touted draft picks, and it would be easy to panic. Not enough data yet. They way I see it (since I have Witten in two leagues and will side with optimism), the stronger the offense, the more opportunity for the middle of the field to be open. Wait until week 4 before a trend is concluded. Seems like this is the year of the TE though. I'm waiting for a monster 7 footer to emerge someday and just stand in the endzone and catch TD's.

One week does not a season make. Even Gonzo had a bad week, so add in Cpep, DD, and a host of other highly touted draft picks, and it would be easy to panic. Not enough data yet. They way I see it (since I have Witten in two leagues and will side with optimism), the stronger the offense, the more opportunity for the middle of the field to be open. Wait until week 4 before a trend is concluded. Seems like this is the year of the TE though. I'm waiting for a monster 7 footer to emerge someday and just stand in the endzone and catch TD's.

990889[/snapback]

His week 1 performance is just one factor. The return of Glenn, possible emrgence of Key, Peerless and Crayton are also contributing factors. Sound-bytes of an increased emphasis on Julius and the running game is one more.

I agree it's ridiculously early to dump him or even start thinking about it. But then again, one of the keys to FF success is to try and spot trends early and building contingencies. :D

At the very least, it's interesting conversation to be looked at later in the year with either bemusement or admiration. :D

I agree it's ridiculously early to dump him or even start thinking about it. But then again, one of the keys to FF success is to try and spot trends early and building contingencies. :D 

990912[/snapback]

Exactly... this would be the week to trade for him, but not deal him away. Heap was the #2 this week, but you can't believe that will continue... well, until he gets hurt again. At least Witten is healthy, and good blockers get open in the middle when the WR's are good. I see the strong WR's and RB on the boys being a good thing more than a negative.

Cant remember where, but I read that SD made it a point all game long to blanket Witten so he was a non-factor.

Appears they succeeded and considering they have Gates and know what type of a weapon an effective TE can be, and considering how Witten was used last year, this gameplan by SD is more than believeable.

990860[/snapback]

I read that on the Cowboys site earlier this week. Fanball mentioned it also.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/newsbreakers.cfm....101/numRows.20

In the SD game, the receivers were getting open and a lot of that can be attributed to the coverage on Witten. I don't expect him to have another 87 catch season, but I expect him to do very well. I have him in one of my leagues and was close to trading for him in another.

San Diego was playing Witten close. IMO because he was the only reveiving threat last year. That opened up a few good looks for Crayton. And he took advantage of them.

Once the opposing team realizes that they can't shutdown the passing game by bottling up Witten, his numbers will rise again....

Right you are Mr. Obvious, but there's still only 1 available football to be received on any given play. Any receiver who is a viable target is by simple math going to cut into the numbers of the others around him regardless of the routes being run and the position being played. C'mon Hugh.

990878[/snapback]

My point, Mr. Sarcastic, is that different plays are called for WR's than TE's. And Parcell's statement doesn't really say that they threw to Crayton instead of Whitten, it just says that Crayton made catches and Whitten didn't. Wouldn't you think that it has something to do with play-calling?

There was an article in the paper here yesterday in which Whitten said he misses being unknown, that he had never seen attention/coverage like he saw against the Chargers.

The league has figured out that he's a weapon. As long as Keyshawn, Crayton, et al keep making defenses pay for doubling Whitten, he'll be fine.

BTW, the TE and WR are different positions argument can only be made by someone who never played football.

The Cowboys run a lot of 1 back with both a TE and a slot receiver (Crayton). Even in the nickel, the defense will tend to shade coverage a particular way and will look to take a particular element of the offense away. SD took Whitten away, so Crayton burned them. There are only so many passes thrown in a game--Crayton got catches Whitten would have gotten if SD hadn't been so focused on Whitten.

BTW, the TE and WR are different positions argument can only be made by someone who never played football.

The Cowboys run a lot of 1 back with both a TE and a slot receiver (Crayton).  Even in the nickel, the defense will tend to shade coverage a particular way and will look to take a particular element of the offense away.  SD took Whitten away, so Crayton burned them.  There are only so many passes thrown in a game--Crayton got catches Whitten would have gotten if SD hadn't been so focused on Whitten.

991728[/snapback]

Never played, and I appreciate the response. That being said, don't you design different plays to focus on WR's and other plays to focus on TE's, especially if you have big play TE's like Whitten or Gonzo or Gates?

Never played, and I appreciate the response. That being said, don't you design different plays to focus on WR's and other plays to focus on TE's, especially if you have big play TE's like Whitten or Gonzo or Gates?

991742[/snapback]

Maybe that's the whole progression thing ... and Witten was the first look but was covered so he moved on in the progression :D

991742[/snapback]

No, the plays aren't designed for a particular position or player (unless you're talking about a fade or similar). There are a progression of reads and the QB goes where the coverage takes him. Usually, TEs end up with favorable matchups. Plus, teams that run cover 2 usually leave space in the middle for the TE to run free. SD obviously slanted coverage schemes to take Whitten out, but left Crayton running free.

Dallas and Whitten (if he's truly great) will adjust. This is a typical barrier for a good young player--has to learn to deal with the attention.

If I were a Whitten owner, I'd be more concerend that the Cowboys seem to have 4 healthy and decent receivers other that Whitten and Bledsoe doesn't seem to be so locked on Whitten as Testaverde was. I'd stay away from Dallas receivers--ball might get spread around too much in an offense that already wants to limit the attempts and has several options depending on what the defense gives them.

Edited by langra