[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Betting League

crispirons

it was a tough week on the crew as a whole. only 2 of us would have taken money from the man. 2 others broke even and 5 would have been making a trip to the atm. hey, at least we didn't have any ohfers. official week one results and standings.

godtomsatan 3-1

crispirons 3-1

dkf 2-2

los gigantes 2-2

sacrebleu 1-2-1

robn 1-3

swiss cheesehead 1-3

chavez 1-3

spain 1-3

the spreads we used this week taken from tuesday afternoon at the greek. home teams are on the bottom:

Baltimore Ravens -3     36.5

Tennessee Titans        

Pittsburgh Steelers -6     38.5

Houston Texans                      

Jacksonville Jaguars

Indianapolis Colts -9     46

Detroit Lions -1     33.5

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

Cincinnati Bengals -3     47

San Francisco 49ers

Philadelphia Eagles -13     43

Buffalo Bills

Tampa Bay Buccaneers -2     35.5       

New England Patriots -3     43.5

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Seattle Seahawks pick ?em      41.5

St Louis Rams

Arizona Cardinals -1     44.5

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets  -6     36.5

Cleveland Browns

Green Bay Packers -6     41

San Diego Chargers

Denver Broncos           -3     45

Kansas City Chiefs -1     53

Oakland Raiders

Washington Redskins

Dallas Cowboys -6       36

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants -3     43.5

i will post this weeks picks as soon as i get all the emails.

Dammit...I leave home at 6:30 and I'm now back at midnight and STILL can't look at everybody's picks?? Slackers! I was looking forward to seeing what everybody did, especially since there were so many juicy bets this week. I had a hard time choosing my four (maybe I can take Josh's? :D)

Guess we'll wait till tomorrow.

...especially since there were so many juicy bets this week. I had a hard time choosing my four......

993998[/snapback]

I only found 3 that looked like locks, so I doubled up on one.

I was going to caveat that with that's coming from a guy thats 2-2. Then I remembered Trotter. :D

picks for the week

chavez

baltimore +3

pitt -6

bears +1

browns +6

dkf

detroit -1

sandiego +3

stlouis +1

stlouis over 44.5

swiss

saints +3

titans over 36.5

rams +1

eagles under 43

godtomsatan

buffalo +2

buffalo over 35.5

washington +6

arizona -1

spain

steelers under 38.5

cowboys under 36

bears under 33.5

bucs under 35.5

sac

detroit -1

green bay -6

k.c. -1

det/chicago over 33.5

robn

bucs-2

jets over 36.5

chargers +3

chiefs under 53

josh

jags +9

pats -3

seattle pick

rams/cards over 44.5

crispirons

colts/jags over 46

atlanta/seattle over 41.5

denver -3

saints +3

we do need to visit what we will do if people are late with their picks again. chavez suggested that they automatically lose one game for that week and only get to pick 3. sounds fair to me.

edit: swiss picked over in the titans game, not under.

edit2: godtomsatan picked the over in the bucs/bills game, not under.

Edited by crispirons

we do need to visit what we will do if people are late with their picks again. chavez suggested that they automatically lose one game for that week and only get to pick 3. sounds fair to me.

That'll work.

colts/ jags over 46. on the turf at indy, i expect this to be a higher scoring game than the number they put out. 27-21 gets me the over by 2. i have a feeling one of the teams scores 30 by themselves. jags defense good, indy's improving. i still see fireworks going on in this game.

atlanta/seattle over 41.5. i actually like seattle a little in this one too at a pick. regardless, points will be scored in this game. seattles defense is uninspiring and atlanta should be able to pound the ball opening up their passing game. seattle, finds home more to their liking and must match points. i'm hoping to be counting my money by halftime.

denver -3 against the chargers. standard 3 pt home spread. sandiego looks a little better on paper. tough loss at home last week and now hit the road to an embarrassed division foe. the air up there won't be to their liking either. bounce back special with the broncs.

saints +3 against the giants. we'll find out if america's new adopted team can be road warriors again. i was impressed with their play against the panthers. they step down in class this week. we'll find out a little more about their mental fortitude this week. the shock of everything wearing off, though still very much filling their minds. maybe a team of destiny??? or maybe the old saints?? i'll take the 3 pts against an inferior foe.

penalty is ok with me.

Det -1 over Chi. Detroit looked good, and I don't think Orton is quite ready yet. If it was more than 1 pt, I may not have bitten.

SD +3 over Den. After Denver's performance last week, I would have even taken the spread the other way around. SD is looking good still, and I don't think Den has had time to fix their defense yet.

STL +1 over Phx and the 'Over'. Shoot out in the desert. Martz got embarrassed last week. He may suck, but his team doesn't. I don't they'll blow it two weeks in a row. StL has too many weapons.

Ravens/Titans OVER 36.5

First of all, the Ravens might get 37 points all by themselves. If Willie Parker and Verron Haynes can shred the Titans D, imagine what Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor will do. On one hand, that looks like a low-scoring, easy win for the Ravens. On the other hand, look what Pittsburgh scored last week – throwing 11 passes. Throw in a more inspired pass offense with Anthony Wright at the helm and the Ravens will score a TON of points. Also, I don’t think Baltimore’s defense is quite as good as Pittsburgh’s (yet), so the Titans should be find the endzone at least a couple of times. I figured the over on this game should have been 42 or so.

Saints +3 (vs. Giants)

I think the Saints will be a good money play through at least the first 4-5 games of the season. They will continue to play emotional, amped-up football, which is exactly the kind of football they’ve NEEDED to play for the last few years. If they can beat a quality team like Carolina on the road, why are they getting 3 points against the Giants? The same Giants who scored 14 of their points on special teams. The same Giants who scored 6 TDs despite Eli’s 62.2 QB rating. The same Giants, whose starting RT, starting TE, #2 and #3 CBs, and top backup LB are all questionable for the game. The Saints, in contrast, are a remarkably healthy team right now. They’ll win this one outright and it might not be close.

Rams +1 (vs. Cardinals)

These are two teams that looked a lot worse than expected in Week 1, but I still can’t figure out why this isn’t at least a pick ‘em game (maybe it is by now :D ). I can’t see the Rams losing two divisional games in a row against marginal teams with marginal defenses. They started badly against San Fran, but they finished very strong, outscoring the 9ers 16-0 in the final 26 minutes of the game. The Cards, though, played like ass after halftime, losing the 2nd half 35-7. I almost took the over on this game as well (like DKF), but the fact that the Cardinals’s offense scored only 12 points against the mediocre Giants defense gave me pause. I could easily see the Rams jumping to a big, early lead and then playing keep-away.

Eagles/49ers UNDER 43

If I had waited for Thursday’s practice report, I might not have taken this play (only because there are other good bets out there). I still wasn’t sure if McNabb would play and now it looks like he will. Still, I think it’s a solid under bet. Philly’s offense has the potential to light up Frisco’s secondary, but I think Reid’s game plan will emphasize ball-control a lot more this week, in an effort to keep McNabb upright and healthy. If I’m right, it will be a low-scoring affair for both teams. If I’m wrong, I could see Reid trying to score early and often, so he can take McNabb out and put in the 2nd-stringers. Either way, the Eagles defense will be primed to compensate for their banged-up QB and will shut down the 9ers pitiful offense. A shutout is entirely possible, so I don’t see any reason why the Eagles will have to score many points.

godtomsatan

buffalo +2

buffalo under 35.5

washington +6

arizona -1

994353[/snapback]

If I put under I'll stick with it, but I think I picked OVER......

penalty is fine, and I am open to making the time limit more flexible if we need to.

Edited by godtomsatan

My eval of my picks.

bucs-2

'cause DMD said so.

jets over 36.5

Baker's gonna be better than last week.

chargers +3

I like Brees

chiefs under 53

KC's 'D' will show up.......AGAIN.

I hope you enjoyed my in-depth, deeply researched, and no-holds-barred report.

Hey DMD.....Can I have a job? :D

Justifications:

Buffalo +2 @ Tampa Bay & BUF/TB OVER 35.5: I like the Bills this year, I don't like the Bucs. Not sure I can justify it any more than that. Plus, both these teams can move the football. I see a 23-20 kind of game.

Washington +6 @ Dallas: I don't think the Skins have any real chance to win this game. Under Parcells, when the Cowboys win, they are 14-1-1 ATS. Including a 15 game non-losing streak. That's heavy. However, this might be Mark Brunell's last attempt to avenge the 1992 Apple Cup thrashing administered by the Drew Bledsoe led WSU Cougars to my alma mater, the UW Huskies. Brunell has never beat Bledsoe in their 3 NFL head-to-head meetings, and Husky football has never been the same since that ugly, ugly, ugly November night some 13 years ago.

Arizona -1 vs. St. Louis: Next time your favorite pothead tokes up before an activity with the justification that everything is better on grass, bring up the St. Louis Rams.

Am I the only one who has trouble with this statement? :D  Was your TV not working last week? :D

995362[/snapback]

well...............i'm not sure i agree or disagree at this moment. consider the fact that the steelers played the titans who have an average offense probably at best right now. the ravens played the juggernaut indy offense. for that reason i would be undecided right now. i didn't get to see the steeler game however so i don't know how good or bad they looked. mcnair marched down the field on opening drive and then they didn't score a pt the rest of the way out. the steelers did something right. it wasn't the ravens defense that lost there game and i thought they looked pretty darn good.

if you guys want to move the due time for picks back thats fine with me. i'd also love more time to assess the games. if we change it, i still want to adhere to a strict enforcement of the time. you guys submit your fantasy teams on time don't you??? i know dkf is a stickler for rules from fusion. as he should be as a commissioner. like the guy whining in the mvp challenge thread because he didn't go to the site to put his team in until game day. i think he deserved it, don't you?

the numbers come out at the greek late sunday night. heck, they have the games for the next few weeks if you look. they are early line odds though and subject to change. of course, if you were actually putting money on it over there you get the number posted at the time of the play. i find that they don't move a whole lot.

once in a while we get an added thursday night game. thats why i originally made it 6 eastern on thursday for your guys picks and midnight wednesday for mine. i'm open for a consensus call on this.

nice start last week godtomsatan. i think you have some nice picks this week as well. poor spain and chavez, cellar dwelling already. couldn't even beat out the noobs on opening weekend. i think we need to make a booby prize for the worst handicapper. who won, or should i say lost, last yr??

sac

detroit -1

green bay -6

k.c. -1

det/chicago over 33.5

Having organized this last year, I know what pain it is to hunt everyone down for their picks. So you can imagine my surprise at being 8 hours late in giving my picks. When I get back on monday I humbly offer my sigline to Crisp^for 2 weeks as pennance. And all slackers should be mercilesly mocked, and penalize. It will not happen again.

Looking at my picks, it is obvious that I have been hittin the Beujolais over here. But I ll try to justify these ones:

-Green Bay: I found Chavezs Homer glasses lying around, asked him if I could borrow them, he said sure and that he vowed never to wear them again. They fit me quite well. Green Bay was embarrased last week, and they will be piling up the points once they have the victory

- Detroit is for real. Chicago is terrible. The only thing that makes the spread so close id the low scoring close history between the two teams. I dont beleive in history in football

-hence the over. 28-12 final score

- The Raiders might still suck. Its hard to tell. But if its a shoot out they lose. K Collins is just not a points machine

Detroit Lions -1 @ Chicago Bears - I'll take the Bears tough D outside vs the Motor City Kitties woeful team; anyone who thinks they looked good last week apparently wasn't watching the game

Pittsburgh Steelers -6 @ Houston - Houston, you have the same old problem - can't protect the QB; think Pitt might be able to take advantage of that?

Cleveland Browns Green Bay Packers -6 - this is a double shot o' mojo going the way of my beloved Pack. Based on the way GB looked last week, Cle +6 is a good amount of points and a pick I'd be MORE than happy to take an "L" on.

baltimore -3 @ Tennessee - Tennessee, welcome to salcap hell. Wright is better than Boller and the Ravens' D looks up to par, I'll give the 3 and relax.

First of all, I say lets make Thursday at midnight the time for getting picks in since many of us actually have jobs and cant get home by 6:00 to submit our picks. Secondly, I need time to get liquored up before I make my picks! :D Speaking of getting liquored up, here are my picks:

Steelers/Texans under 38.5: I like this to be a close, low scoring game dominated by the defenses. The Steelers defense held the Titans to 7 points last week and created alot of turnovers. Houston showed last week against the Bills that they cant move the ball against a good defense. The Texans defense also looks decent. With Roethlisberger hurting his knee, I can see Cowher running the ball and grinding it out the clock. Steelers 20 Texans 14

Cowboys/Redskins under 36: 2 good defenses go at it in this hugh rivalry game. Greg Williams Redskins defense is dominating. The Cowboys D is good, but not as good as the Skins D. But the Skins offense is brutal. Brunnell gets the start this week and I fear for his life. Look for lots of Clinton Portis and Julius Jones with 2 conservative coaches playing it close to the vest waiting for the other team to make mistakes. Dallas 17 Redskins 10

Bears/Lions under 33.5: This game will be ugly. Welcome to Bears football ladies and gentlemen. The Bears defense is very good, one of the best in the league, imo. Their offense was crippled again when Grossman went down in the preseason. Kyle Orton is a rookie QB going against an above average Lions defense, which spells disaster. Harrington is a below average qb going against at top defense. Lions will need to get Roy Williams to have a chance. The only question is:What happens if neither team scores? Bears 10 Lions 9

Bucs/Bills under 35.5: I definitely want to see this game! The Bucs completely punked Daunte Culpepper last week. Tampa looks better than I thought they would be. The Bills defense shut down the Texans. 2 very good defenses with average offenses. Both teams have great young rb's, and neither will be able to run the ball. This will be another game played close to the vest, with the team making the most misques losing in a nail biter. Bills 20 Bucs 13

Edited by spain

First of all, I say lets make Thursday at midnight the time for getting picks in since many of us actually have jobs and cant get home by 6:00 to submit our picks. Secondly, I need time to get liquored up before I make my picks! :D Speaking of getting liquored up, here are my picks:

i didn't know you couldn't hump goats during office hours. i don't mind going this route(midnight thursday) but then you sort of eliminate being able to pick thursday night contests. this was the time we used last yr however. if this is to everyones liking, we can go back to this time. i will then make my picks due by thursday at 6 eastern as opposed to midnight wednesday. if you like the thursday game, email the pick to me before kickoff. mark the email BETTING LEAGUE PICK THURSDAY NIGHT GAME. or something to that effect which will let me know to open it before thursday at midnight.

apologies to sac as well. he caught me at a bad time this week. my mom went in to have a small cancer spot removed from her breast on thursday. i was a little out of it emotionally. she is fine, everything went well. i also had/have this toothache that has been bothering me all week. so i was probably a little ornery that day. no sigline and thanks for the ealier comments.

nobody answered who finished in last place last yr? did you guys tie for last??

nobody answered who finished in last place last yr?  did you guys tie for last??

997555[/snapback]

I was the lone guy under .500 and in last place.

With my 1-3 start, I'm looking to continue that proud tradition.... :D

Edited by Chavez