[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else use Huddel Perfect Scoring?

Lost

Well, I tried to spice up the season this year and incorporated the "Huddle Perfect Scoring System." I used Dorey's logic to convince everyone to use it on draft day, but after week 1 was a different story. Everyone understood the reason why it should be used, but when they actually realized that without their defense getting positive points, it can turn the results negative for them. :D For people who are not familiar with it, you can read about it here:

Huddle Perfect Scoring System

Many complained and asked for me to post a vote to change the defensive scoring to the traditional way, were you either get or lose points based on how many points the other team put up. The huddle scoring gives or takes points based on how many yards your opponent racks up. To that end, the vote unamiously passed.

I think a lot of people were upset because many of them drafted a defense very early in the draft because they were scared of the new defensive point system. And now that they had 1 week to try it out, they came to the realization that their defense will not put up much positive points and many will continually put up negative points. Funny thing is that I had a feeling that this would happen initially. And to make things even funnier, I didn't even include the -3 points for a touchdown allowed, which nobody knows. If they freaked how it is now without the -3 TDs against, I couldn't imagine how they would have reacted if I had included it. :D

Has anyone else used this system and had similar team debacles? :D And does anyone use any defensive scoring other than the traditional where you score based on how many points your opponent puts up? :D

Similar thing happened to me last year. At least a couple of owners did not really read the rules and the minus points from D threw them for a loop. The constant minus points freaked them out big time.

These guys aren't too smart though...For this year, we used the same scoring system but instead of starting at 0 points for 0TD allowed, we start at +6 for 0TD, +3 for 1, 0 for 2, etc. This is basically just adding 6 points to everybody's score. Now nobody has a problem with it.

You can't change the scoring rules after the season starts, can you? Actually, I don't know why you would. This should've already been agreed to by everybody so why change now?

Similar thing happened to me last year.  At least a couple of owners did not really read the rules and the minus points from D threw them for a loop.  The constant minus points freaked them out big time.

These guys aren't too smart though...For this year, we used the same scoring system but instead of starting at 0 points for 0TD allowed, we start at +6 for 0TD, +3 for 1, 0 for 2, etc.  This is basically just adding 6 points to everybody's score.  Now nobody has a problem with it.

You can't change the scoring rules after the season starts, can you?  Actually, I don't know why you would.  This should've already been agreed to by everybody so why change now?

992355[/snapback]

I can see your logic, but that is to say that the opponent is shut out, to get 6 points, right? And how often does that happen? Your are right, you are playing with morons too!

As far as changing the scoring in the season, I didn't want a lot of unhappy owners in my league, so I made them a deal. I told them that if everyone votes for the change, I would do it, as I could care less how it is scored. I just thought a change might be fun and more challenging. Hence, I have a bunch of woosies in my league. :doah: The only catch was that I refused to change any scoring that has already occured. All changes will be made for future weeks, starting Week 2. :D

Edited by Lost

We used this last year in Any Given Sunday.  I'm not in the league this year, but I think they modified it because TE's were scoring ridiculous points.  They're weren't any complaints about DEF though.

992372[/snapback]

Agreed! TE's outscoring LT and Manning is BS!! I think last year Gonzo outscored the top WR by 200 pts :D

I can see your logic, but that is to say that the opponent is shut out, to get 6 points, right? And how often does that happen? Your are right, you are playing with morons too!

992392[/snapback]

morons indeed! :D

Not necessarily shutout for 6 points, just allowing no TD's. The scoring system only counts TD allowed by the defense, so if a team scores FG, or Def/ST TD those don't count against the D. But you already knew that.

We have used the PHSS for 3 years and I only have one owner who continues to complain about negative points for defenses. I did modify it to give defenses a chance to score more positive numbers. We use points allowed by defenses and give 9 points for a shutout, 6 points for 1 to 3 points and 3 points for 4-6 points then -3 points for every 7 points given up.

Also, if a defense allows 150 yards or less they get 10 points, 151 to 250, 5 points and 251 to 350, 0 point and -5 for every 100 yards above 350. We also give 3 points for any blocked kick.

We also modified our TE's to only give 1 point per catch versus 2. It seemed to tame the TE's down a bit.

This year we gave 1 point per RB reception to boost their points.

In the AGS BOTH league this year we cut back on the TE scoring, and that works out well. The idea is to make the top players in all positions viable first round picks, to try to avoid that whole 17 RB's in a row kind of draft, and it works fairly well to that end. The logic behind the defensive scoring is simple.... in the NFL, the D gives up points, so why should it be a point generator in FF? I took the Steelers D in the 5th round, if I recall correctly. That was a worthwhile pick there. The D can still score points, with ST and D TD's, but there are penalties for TD's and yardage against. Being in several leagues, I like the different strategy it requires.

I would never even attempt to sell this scoring system to the guys in my local though..... it would never fly with those yokels!

Yards per game given up by a defense is a meaningless stat on a week to week basis.

If a team is up big and goes into prevent mode and gives up a ton of yardage but no points, who cares? Why should your fantasy team be punished for that?

Yards against probably equals out over the course of a season and the best teams probably rise to the top, but on a week to week basis it is meaningless.

Yards per game given up by a defense is a meaningless stat on a week to week basis.

If a team is up big and goes into prevent mode and gives up a ton of yardage but no points, who cares?  Why should your fantasy team be punished for that?

Yards against probably equals out over the course of a season and the best teams probably rise to the top, but on a week to week basis it is meaningless.

993237[/snapback]

Just to play devil's advocate - yards gained by an offense does not really matter either in the NFL - only the points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

If the FF league rules dictate that yards allowed by your D is important, then you need to draft and plan accordingly.

Keep in mind that the same time the D is giving up meaningless Prevent-D yards and maybe points, the other teams offense is also gaining those same yards and points. I hate it when garbage time (prevent D) happens and a scrub TD or meaningless yards are gained that causes me to lose a FF game, but I love it when it causes me to win a FF game. What can you do - them's the breaks.

my league is in it's third season of using the Huddle perfect scoring system and everyone has been very happy with it. Over the years we have modified it a bit by taking out the -15 for yardage allowed and adjusting the yards so the most you lose is -10, and this year we have 6 points for a shut out and 3 points if the defense holds their opponent to 6 points and under. We have always done all receptions are 1 point regardless of position and .1 per yard. We also took out the -3 for allowing touchdowns and changed the sacks to 1/sack. At first a few people were not so sure about it but I think it really makes the game better, because you can score quite a few more points and there is alot less chance of a tie.

We are using a very similar system and most like it now that they have adjusted their strategy.

It was a good read as an article. Pretty good analysis, but I think a better analysis can be done for a league based on roster size (starters). You could use a normalization of the statistical population for each group of starters by position to have curves that all match. I created something like this a couple of years ago and tried to explain it to the league. After a lot of confused looks I was told to take a hike... :doah:

Just to play devil's advocate - yards gained by an offense does not really matter either in the NFL - only the points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

If the FF league rules dictate that yards allowed by your D is important, then you need to draft and plan accordingly.

Keep in mind that the same time the D is giving up meaningless Prevent-D yards and maybe points, the other teams offense is also gaining those same yards and points.  I hate it when garbage time (prevent D) happens and a scrub TD or meaningless yards are gained that causes me to lose a FF game, but I love it when it causes me to win a FF game.  What can you do - them's the breaks.

993254[/snapback]

I concur!!!! :D:D