[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Willie Parker in 2005 is Equal

Jumpin Johnies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy's resume is more impressive than Griffin's. Let's not forget the 100+ he dropped on the #2 ranked defense in the NFL last year, week #17: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20050102_PIT@BUF

He has since then performed every chance he's gotten; every pre-season game, and now another regular season game. Yes, he was undrafted, but so was Priest, and Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder. Scouts and GM's make mistakes.

He's running behind what is the top 2-3 OL's in the league, is young, fast, powerful and shifty. Today Duce said he should keep the job if he can continue putting up numbers because he has 5-6 gears and the Bus has one and he himself only has 2 1/2. Point is the job is his to keep, I think, as long as he's healthy. He offers something the Steelers have never had, speed. Think back; Bus, Staley, Foster, Morris, etc. The list goes on....

If you've avoided Willie because you think he's a one week wonder, you'll regret it in ten weeks when he's a top 5 or so back.

edited for spelling :D

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

This guy's resume is more impressive than Griffin's.  Let's not forget the 100+ he dropped on the #2 ranked defense in the NFL last year, week #17: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20050102_PIT@BUF

He has since then performed every chance he's gotten; every pre-season game, and now another regular season game. Yes, he was undrafted, but so was Priest, and Terrell David was a 6th rounder. Scouts and GM's make mistakes. 

He's running behind what is the top 2-3 OL's in the league, is young, fast, powerful and shifty. Today Duce said he should keep the job if he can continue putting up numbers because he has 5-6 gears and the Bus has one and he himself only has 2 1/2.  Point is the job is his to keep, I think, as long as he's healthy. He offers something the Steelers have never had, speed. Think back; Bus, Staley, Foster, Morris, etc. The list goes on....

If you've avoided Willie because you think he's a one week wonder, you'll regret it in ten weeks when he's a top 5 or so back.

992769[/snapback]

Listen I like this kid, I want to see him do well. But there's a lot of uncertainty with this kid and I'm not ready to annoint him a top five back.

I think its way too early to get all that jacked up about Willie Parker. He might pull a Quentin Griffin, and fade after the first couple games.

Still, I have him on my team and I am happy to do so. Anytime that you can get a potential 100 yard-a-game rusher in the what was essentially the 14th round of a fantasy draft, that's getting some pretty good value.

I still had the opportunity to pick up Willie Parker late Sunday afternoon after his huge game. I decided to pass on him because I would have had to drop Ricky Williams in order to create roster space for him. After watching Ronnie Brown struggle, I decided Williams was a better player to have than Parker. This PIT RB situation is gonna be a mess. Even if Duce is the odd man out and Parker starts, they're still gonna give the goalline carries to Bettis. Bettis is a god in PIT and they are not gonna take him out of the rotation. They proved that last year when Staley was leading the league in rushing yds (before his injury). Bettis stole all the TDs from him. I expect that to be the situation at best for Parker this year. That's if they don't work Staley into the ball game too which they very well might do. There's too many questions here, and I don't want any part of this situation.

Geez....I don't know.

Old School Football 101

You play on Sunday because of the work you put in during the week. As long as Staley and the Bus aren't practicing, Parker is going to get all the work. As long as Parker continues to produce on Sunday, Cowher will make the two slowly work their way into the lineup. This may take up to 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.

Parker is as good of an option at RB as many of the Tier 2 guys at this point, and will be that way for the month of September at a minimum.

Evaluate again in October if he's still on your roster.

For now, if you can get something really solid for him, I'd dish.

I still had the opportunity to pick up Willie Parker late Sunday afternoon after his huge game. I decided to pass on him because I would have had to drop Ricky Williams in order to create roster space for him. After watching Ronnie Brown struggle, I decided Williams was a better player to have than Parker. This PIT RB situation is gonna be a mess. Even if Duce is the odd man out and Parker starts, they're still gonna give the goalline carries to Bettis. Bettis is a god in PIT and they are not gonna take him out of the rotation. They proved that last year when Staley was leading the league in rushing yds (before his injury). Bettis stole all the TDs from him. I expect that to be the situation at best for Parker this year. That's if they don't work Staley into the ball game too which they very well might do. There's too many questions here, and I don't want any part of this situation.

993415[/snapback]

Or, you could have done what I did and draft BOTH Ricky and Willie :D...sorry, not gloating, but am just happy with some late round value. Qas hoping one would pan out and now, maybe, knock on wood, both will be starting at somke point. We'll see...??

I respectfully disagree with your decision to keep Ricky Williams, and not pick up Parker.

Even when Bettis comes back sometime this (or next) month, Parker is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. And he will do so at a greater clip that Deuce did last year (which was very infrequent). If he gets 20-25 touches a game, he will, conservatively, produce top 15 numbers.

I feel Ricky came back for a pay check, more specifically, to erase debt. While admire him for coming back to a difficult situation, I can not see him taking the starting job away from R Brown, unless the later gets hurt. I think that so much of Ricky's game was the power, I did not see him exhibit that in the pre-season. I also don't think that Seaban spent a top 5 pick on a known RB to sit on the bench. At the very worst, I see Brown getting half the carries. I also feel that MIA had no choice but to let Ricky back so that he can erase his debt, and that they will "showcase" him so that they can trade him either this season, or before next.

I think there are just as many "questions" in the backfield of MIA, as there are in PIT. And you had a chance to pick up a starting RB for Week 2, who just happened to collect more than 200 total yards and a TD, and who is behind one of the best OL in the NFL.

I strongly disagree with your decision.

I respectfully disagree with your decision to keep Ricky Williams, and not pick up Parker.

Even when Bettis comes back sometime this (or next) month, Parker is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.  And he will do so at a greater clip that Deuce did last year (which was very infrequent).  If he gets 20-25 touches a game, he will, conservatively, produce top 15 numbers.

I feel Ricky came back for a pay check, more specifically, to erase debt.  While admire him for coming back to a difficult situation, I can not see him taking the starting job away from R Brown, unless the later gets hurt.  I think that so much of Ricky's game was the power, I did not see him exhibit that in the pre-season.  I also don't think that Seaban spent a top 5 pick on a known RB to sit on the bench.   At the very worst, I see Brown getting half the carries.  I also feel that MIA had no choice but to let Ricky back so that he can erase his debt, and that they will "showcase" him so that they can trade him either this season, or before next.

I think there are just as many "questions" in the backfield of MIA, as there are in PIT.  And you had a chance to pick up a starting RB for Week 2, who just happened to collect more than 200 total yards and a TD, and who is behind one of the best OL in the NFL.

I strongly disagree with your decision.

993463[/snapback]

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER :D

Are you kidding me? Keeping Ricky Williams? Parker has just provide clarity to the Pitt backfield, hell Duce has even endorsed him, what more do you want? Anyone in their right mind will not pull Parker as long as he continues to perform. Now the Miami backfield is a mess.

Edited by Bombs Away

One big difference is that mcgahee/j jones have much more impressive resumes.  I believe willie parker was undrafted. not saying an undrafted player can't become successful (priest holmes i don't believe was drafted) but it's less likely.  The original post had a good point - people are very quick to annoint this guy as some awesome future stud after one game against a bad defense.  Let's watch him for at least 5 or 6 games first

992588[/snapback]

Everyone wants to talk about Griffin and M. Moore...

How about Rudi Johnson? He more or less came out of nowhere when he took over for Dillon. How about D. Rhodes of the Colts when Edge was hurt? He was an undrafted rookie who rushed for 1000+ yards. D. Davis was somewhere inbetween but another guy people thought was biding time until someone else took over.

As for where I stand with W. Parker. Depends on if I have him or not :D If I have him, I'm telling those in my league he's great and trying to sell him for a proven like a Priest or something else (even D. Davis). If I don't have him, I remind the owner that does about Griffin and Moore and just try to get him for next to nothing :D

This is the old "it doesn't matter who runs behind that line" that Denver & KC have used in the past few years. Those holes last week were big enough for the Bus, but Willie is much quicker and faster, so he made them look that much bigger. The Steelers run, run, run, and it does not matter if it is Bus, Duce, or Fast Willie back there. I hope they run that guy until he proves them wrong, I would love to see what he can do week in and week out.

• 1 month later...