[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boller is the starter

whomper

Ravens Coach Says 'Boller Is Our Starting Quarterback'

Billick Says Injured QB Will Retain Spot Once He Returns

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (Sept. 15) - The toe injury that forced Kyle Boller out of Sunday's game against Tennessee will not cost him his job as Baltimore Ravens quarterback.

Eager to clarify his remark Wednesday that Anthony Wright "will be our starting quarterback until circumstances change," coach Brian Billick emphasized Thursday that his confidence in Boller has not waned.

"Kyle Boller is our starting quarterback," he said. "If Kyle is able to return in the two- to three-week prognosis that we currently have, he will be our starting quarterback."

Boller could be available to face the New York Jets on Oct. 2, which follows the Ravens' bye week.

"Anthony Wright is the starter for an undetermined period right now due to injury," Billick said. "Kyle Boller is our starting quarterback. If I left it open to interpretation, if I left that in a way that led to speculation that we did not have the faith in Kyle, that our faith is wavering, that was not my intent."

Boller hyperextended his right big toe and injured his ankle in last Sunday's 24-7 loss to Indianapolis. He is currently wearing a protective boot.

"I feel pretty good right now," Boller said. "It kind of throbs a little bit, but it's settling down. I just don't want to put a lot of pressure on my toe. It kind of hurts my leg a little bit, carrying (the boot) around.

"Right now, it's my job and my responsibility to support (Wright) and help him out. It's about this team and about winning. Anything I can do to help him, I'm going to do. He did when I was out there."

This will be Wright's second stint as Baltimore's starter. After Boller was injured in a 2003 midseason game at St. Louis, Wright took over and won five of seven starts down the stretch to lead the Ravens to the AFC North title.

09/15/05 14:42 EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Whatever.  Just like Rex Grossman is the Bears' starter.  :D

Both are wastes of cap room and will be cut next season.

993328[/snapback]

Yesterday I thought about possiblity of Volek going to Lions and tearing it up as thier starter. However, the Ravens would appear to be another killer venue for his talents. Bears, not so much. But it'd still be a massive upgrade over what Chicaco has right now.

Yesterday I thought about possiblity of Volek going to Lions and tearing it up as thier starter.  However, the Ravens would appear to be another killer venue for his talents.  Bears, not so much.  But it'd still be a massive upgrade over what Chicaco has right now.

993335[/snapback]

I agree, although the Titans seem very reluctant to release Volek because of McNair's injury issues.

The Ravens will be hurt by the fact that they have a week 3 bye. Even if Wright plays well, it is only 1 game. Boller will probably be healthy by week 4 and Billick will be forced by his ego to go back to Boller. If the Ravens had a later bye week and Wright put together 2-3 good weeks, the ground-swell to keep Boller on the bench would be that much greater within the organization.

The Ravens will be hurt by the fact that they have a week 3 bye.  Even if Wright plays well, it is only 1 game.  Boller will probably be healthy by week 4 and Billick will be forced by his ego to go back to Boller.  If the Ravens had a later bye week and Wright put together 2-3 good weeks, the ground-swell to keep Boller on the bench would be that much greater within the organization.

993369[/snapback]

I doubt that Billick will let his ego get in the way of winning. The Ravens are a competent QB away from becoming what is arguably the best team in the AFC. This isn't the time to worry about developing a young QB.

i dont get it--

billick is the self proclaimed offensive genious... knows how to coach qb's blah blah blah...

so how could he have gone so horribly wrong in his coaching of boller?? boller obviously is having an effect on the team--- i dont think the ravens players are really sure about boller.... wright brings speed and excitement... and he has been there and done that before in baltimore... i like him... it will be interesting to see how he has matured....

ravens are crazy to generate controversy over this... by saying they will bring boller back after he is healed.... especially having not seen how wright plays.... what if wright throws 4 tds every week until boller is healed? do you just bring back the boller? thats why these comments are stupid....

why cant coached and managers just shut up with their politically correct ways- and say it how it really is--

maybe something like this: "boller could not get the offense going... he provides no spark... thank god he got injured case it makes my job of benching his a$$ a whole lot easier... if wright pulls the same crap-- we are starting kordell next week...."

why cant coached and managers just shut up with their politically correct ways- and say it how it really is--

maybe something like this:  "boller could not get the offense going... he provides no spark...  thank god he got injured case it makes my job of benching his a$$ a whole lot easier...  if wright pulls the same crap-- we are starting kordell next week...."

993530[/snapback]

i think the answer would be that no defense would be scared by that statement.

That was the worst thing that Billick ever did.  Yes, even worse than drafting Boller.

993525[/snapback]

Becuase Dilfer got them to SB 35? :D The only thing that Dilfer brought to the table was that he was better than Tony Banks.

The Ravens failed in '01 because (1) their defense didn't play lights-out down the stretch and (2) they couldn't establish a running game without Jamal Lewis. It had nothing to do with releasing Dilfer in favor of Grbac.