[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shut up M Irvin

Randall

First of all, Walker had two good season...His breakout one with 17.5 avg per rec and 9 Tds and then his pro bowl season last year. Second, He was entering the 4th year of a 5 year deal and wanted to renegotiate...that is not unreasonable. To even put him in the same category as TO who has made big money for several years now and wants to rip up a deal he signed and that paid him millions up front after one year is pretty narrow-minded. Javon has never made big NFL money and developed over three years into a emerging star and simply wanted to revisit that original deal and ink and new one with some big upfront money. I will never understand how we are all claim to be non-money hungry in this country and get on our collective soapbox when a player would like to be paid more money for doing his job. If you were really good at what you did and had some kind of leverage (only a dozen or so people in your field could perform like you) and were being paid a tenth of what those other 11 people were after three years and could lose your career at any moment you may want to make some more money. Asking for that is not greedy, that is human.

To the post about "understand[ing] the kind of responsibility that goes along with their success - Favre does"

Does that mean have a drinking problem out of school and when he was drafted by Atlanta and being addicted to Pain killers a few years back?

If we are all so concerned about people making and demanding too much money stop going to see Tom Cruise (or any Hollywood) movies, stop buying Paul McCartney concert tix, stop buying products of companies whose CEOs take mutli-million dollar bonuses while laying of employees and freezing pay increases...otherwise put a sock in it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...they do not understand the kind of responsibility that goes along with their success - Favre does.

994511[/snapback]

:D

Pass the Vicodin, please...you're killing me! :D

If you have kids, I certainly hope you've sat down and explained to them that it's OK to admire these guys for their athletic ability on the field and it's OK to root for them to do well - but that's where it ends. Favre is a womanizing, drunk, prescription junkie who happens to be able to throw a football with some degree of accuracy and velocity. Nothing more, nothing less.

irvin is dead on. all players are used and hocked by the owners to stuff their bank accounts. players should hold out and push them to the max to be sure that before they are used and abused for profit, they get their share. this isn't hanging around the playground for a pick-up game, this is grabbing the opportunity to set themselves up for life, along with their families. for favre to weigh in and say "he's going about it the wrong way" is out of line and not showing any leadership at all. as irvin said, call out the owner/gm - don't call out your teammates.

and drop all this garbage about what we are teaching our kids. if my kids can do something that only a handful of people in the country can do, you bet your ass that i'm going to encourage them to be compensated for that in a way that sets them up for life, along with their families. this doesn't make them bad people - it makes them smart people. especially if what they are doing is making others filthy rich while they are not seeing any of it.

tony

Edited by tonorator

Do you let the people you work with negotiate your wages in a public forum?

The owners do what they think is best for them.  The players do whatever their agent tells them is best for them.

I think if the NFL ownership would show a little more good faith after spectacular performances, the situation would work out best for all.  But that is in a perfect world.

I agree with -gulp- Irvin on this one.  But there is no need to harp on it.  What's done is done and I'm sure Favre absolutely feels worse about it than anybody.

994338[/snapback]

I agree with you that Favre feels worse than anyone. I know what you are saying but I don't think what Favre said was wrong. He was telling the truth and giving his opinion just like everyone wants athletes to come out and say.

If Walker reported because of "Favre pressure" then he is a bigger idiot than I thought. He should make his own decisions, not Favre. And yes, Favre should stay out of it but you cannot blame the guy for wanting his best WR there.

C.  Favre should have stayed out of it.

994380[/snapback]

While I agree with this the media probably asked Favre about this everyday and wouldn't you get tired of the same question day after day. So he finally gave everyone what they wanted an honest answer and now he is being ripped for it.

Pass the Vicodin, please...you're killing me!  :D

If you have kids, I certainly hope you've sat down and explained to them that it's OK to admire these guys for their athletic ability on the field and it's OK to root for them to do well - but that's where it ends.  Favre is a womanizing, drunk, prescription junkie who happens to be able to throw a football with some degree of accuracy and velocity.  Nothing more, nothing less.

994725[/snapback]

It's nice to know there are still some intelligent minds out there that don't bow at the feet of Favre like he is football almighty and can't do anything wrong ala John Madden. I think every contract situation should be judged on its own merit and Walker DID deserve better than what he got and there is zero chance he will get the contract next year that he could have gotten had he held out. Irvin is dead on. Now Walker and his agent Drew (the football Anti-Christ) should have been able to think and act for himself but let's face it. Favre is the face of the franchise and carries an enormous amount of clout in the organization. We have no idea the promises that were made to him if he showed up and played this year and put up similar numbers.

And since salary should be based by on-field performance make Brett give back his game check for that stinker last week. Pop a Vicadin, retire and try to make Something About Mary 2.

If you all think that it was ok for Javon to hold out because he was only protecting his best interests, then you shouldn't criticize Favre for trying to protect his best interests either----which was getting his Pro Bowl reciever into camp and making sure he could contribute to the TEAM.

994164[/snapback]

Agreed. Good point.

If Walker felt THAT strongly about renegotiating his contract, he could've told Favre to step off and stay out of his business. It's not like Favre held a gun to his head and made him march back out onto the practice field.

$hit happens. And when it happens to a pro athlete who has made more money in four years than I'll make in 15, you'll have to excuse me if I don't break out my credit card and make a donation to the Javon Walker Foundation.

Irvin's "Brett's a hater 'cause he's hurtin' on Javon's cash flow" diatribe is typical of the Entitlement Society attitude: If something bad happens to you, it's always somebody else's fault and they owe you something. It's a stupid paradigm that produces adults with no sense of responsibility and weak moral character. Michael Irvin is a prime example.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Agreed.  Good point.

If Walker felt THAT strongly about renegotiating his contract, he could've told Favre to step off and stay out of his business.  It's not like Favre held a gun to his head and made him march back out onto the practice field. 

$hit happens.  And when it happens to a pro athlete who has made more money in four years than I'll make in 15, you'll have to excuse me if I don't break out my credit card and make a donation to the Javon Walker Foundation.

Irvin's "Brett's a hater 'cause he's hurtin' on Javon's cash flow" diatribe is typical of the Entitlement Society attitude: If something bad happens to you, it's always somebody else's fault and they owe you something.  It's a stupid paradigm that produces adults with no sense of responsibility and weak moral character.  Michael Irvin is a prime example.

995186[/snapback]

So if Walker had held out and the Packers sucked w/ Favre at the helm, it would then become Walker's fault for being selfish and not Favre's fault for a bad year? You mean something like that or is it different?

So if Walker had held out and the Packers sucked w/ Favre at the helm, it would then become Walker's fault for being selfish and not Favre's fault for a bad year?

995201[/snapback]

Probably not according to Irvin. Who's he going to put the blame on: a fellow black WR or a white QB? :D

he wanted top 5 money... Bottom line is that he isnt a top five receiver. If he wanted more money after a season, he should have paid back everything he made the first two seasons.

Irvin can blame Favre all day long, but inversley, what is Drew Rosenhous wouldnt have poisoned Walkers mind, and Walker reported to training camp and all the practices prior to pre season... This might not have happened... Favre ows his allegance to the packers organization, not some jackoff hack that played one good year.

Agreed.  Good point.

If Walker felt THAT strongly about renegotiating his contract, he could've told Favre to step off and stay out of his business.  It's not like Favre held a gun to his head and made him march back out onto the practice field. 

$hit happens.  And when it happens to a pro athlete who has made more money in four years than I'll make in 15, you'll have to excuse me if I don't break out my credit card and make a donation to the Javon Walker Foundation.

Irvin's "Brett's a hater 'cause he's hurtin' on Javon's cash flow" diatribe is typical of the Entitlement Society attitude: If something bad happens to you, it's always somebody else's fault and they owe you something.  It's a stupid paradigm that produces adults with no sense of responsibility and weak moral character.  Michael Irvin is a prime example.

995186[/snapback]

Post of the day :D

Favre, without any concern for anyone's well-being but his own decides to call out Walker publically. Favre knew that when he opened his lilly white a$$ to the public additional pressure would be put on Walker to get back to work. Favre could have just as easily called out Packer management publically. He took the easy route. It wasn't a gun to the head but it certainly was a leverage move by a guy making $9 1/2 million a year more than Walker.

Favre doesn't give a $hit about Walker or his life:

----------

"I feel terrible about what happened because it doesn't help our team any," said Favre, who makes upward of $10 million a year. "But he's young. It's hard for him to believe it right now, but I promise you, he'll come back better. His contract situation will take care of itself. I still think he'll make a lot of money."

----------

I'm gald Favre thinks everyhting will be fine for Walker. Wonder what Favre plans to do for Walker if he's wrong. You know since he makes more in 1 year than Walker does in 5.

So why did Favre choose to call out Walker rather than Packer management if Walker coming back was so important to the team's success? Anyone who thinks Walker making 1/2 a million a season 4 years and 1 pro bowl appearance into a 5 year contract is full of $hit. Favre knows it too, he just never cared.

Because of this whole mess, I think the Packers will negotiate in good faith with Walker.  If he shows good progress with the knee by spring, I think they will redo his contract and he will make more money.  If they don't, I can see every single player on the Packers squad holding out next year.

994194[/snapback]

You're on crack. It's a business and they won't give him money 'in good faith.'

As much as I dislike Irvin, he's right on: Favre crossed a line and took up sides with management, thereby disrespecting Walker's right to conduct his own business as he both sees fit and what should have been a private matter.

Keep in mind, no matter how dogged McNabb got he NEVER said one word that took either management or Owens' side re: the pay.

Walker's gonna get screwed, and if he can come back and the Pack lose his right in the interim he's played his last game for The Pack.

Favre is a womanizing, drunk, prescription junkie who happens to be able to throw a football with some degree of accuracy and velocity.  Nothing more, nothing less.

994725[/snapback]

That was a long time ago and he changed not long afterward. He told Javon he was renegotiating in what he thought was he wrong way. He didn't see him getting hurt like this. For Irvin to request an apology now is wrong.

Irvin is good at defending WR's no matter what they do.

Refresh my memory guys. When Ward held out in PIT, did Bettis scream for him to get back to cam? What about Brees? Did he say anything to the media about Gates? Brett, the undisputed leader of the team and an icon in GB told Javon to get back to camp. I am not one to agree with renegiotating on a contract after 1 good year, but Walker has proven himself. $$ that we make (most of us) can not be put into this equation because its a different world in pro sports. What Brett did IMO was wrong and that is what Irvin is saying. Not that it was Bretts fault that Javon got hurt, as many posts have alluded to. Irvin, if i read correctly, said that Javon got hurt and the injury could cost him him money in the future and that was what he was trying to protect himself fromwhen Brett called him out.

BTW, if u think GB is going to give a "good faith" contract, you're crazy. SD did it for gates and Pit, notorious oenny pinchers, did it for Ward the week that each reported. Walker has been there for weeks with no movement from GB front office.

Favre, without any concern for anyone's well-being but his own decides to call out Walker publically.  Favre knew that when he opened his lilly white a$$ to the public additional pressure would be put on Walker to get back to work.  Favre could have just as easily called out Packer management publically.  He took the easy route.  It wasn't a gun to the head but it certainly was a leverage move by a guy making $9 1/2 million a year more than Walker. 

995280[/snapback]

Of course, Walker had a contract with the Packers to honor. Why did this suddenly get lost in the discussion?

Favre has every right to tell a player to get back in camp. They're trying to win football games. And Walker had every right to tell him to put a sock in it. But he chose not to.

BTW, even if Walker's career ended on Sunday (which it most likely didn't), he'd still be better off financially that almost all of us. Even if he can play for, say, three or four more years at the league minimum, he'll still be a millionaire. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?

Careers can end very abruptly in the NFL. That's why players get astronomical salaries, huge signing bonuses up front, and incredible health benefits.

Given that thousands of poor families on welfare are homeless now because of Hurricane Katrina, Irvin couldn't have picked a worse time to bring this up. Feel sorry for the REAL poor people, not Javon Walker.

Favre, without any concern for anyone's well-being but his own decides to call out Walker publically.  Favre knew that when he opened his lilly white a$$ to the public additional pressure would be put on Walker to get back to work.  Favre could have just as easily called out Packer management publically.  He took the easy route.  It wasn't a gun to the head but it certainly was a leverage move by a guy making $9 1/2 million a year more than Walker. 

Favre doesn't give a $hit about Walker or his life:

----------

"I feel terrible about what happened because it doesn't help our team any," said Favre, who makes upward of $10 million a year. "But he's young. It's hard for him to believe it right now, but I promise you, he'll come back better. His contract situation will take care of itself. I still think he'll make a lot of money."

----------

I'm gald Favre thinks everyhting will be fine for Walker.  Wonder what Favre plans to do for Walker if he's wrong.  You know since he makes more in 1 year than Walker does in 5.

So why did Favre choose to call out Walker rather than Packer management if Walker coming back was so important to the team's success?  Anyone who thinks Walker making 1/2 a million a season 4 years and 1 pro bowl appearance into a 5 year contract is full of $hit.  Favre knows it too, he just never cared.

995280[/snapback]

Do a experiment..Hold out on your job for more money and see what happens. see who calls you and what they say.

I do a lot of things around my office, my manager drives a decked out Lexus, I barley have the money to make payments for rent and my car... I don't complain. They've been here longer, and have done more.

The bottom line is that when Favre retires, the future will be bleak for a while. The window they have is extremley small, and Walker's holding out didnt help things. Favre was telling him to report so they could challange... Favre was in the right. Yes Favre makes more in a year than Walker does in five... Walker makes more in a year than I will for the forseeable future. I don't pity a guy that has made a few millions by playing a childs game. Favre is a company man. The company cares about winning, not over paying for receivers. Brooks, Freeman, Schraoder, and now Walker. If he would have handled himself in a classier way ala Donald Driver, he would have had a new contract. I don't feel bad for the guy for getting hurt. I do feel bad now because he realizes that he screwed up. Why would Walker try and have Rosenhaous re negotiate a contract? The packers dealt with that jackoff during the McKinzie debacle...

Edited by piratesownninjas

Probably not according to Irvin.  Who's he going to put the blame on: a fellow black WR or a white QB?  :D

995209[/snapback]

Hmm, interesting you should note that. My thought is that the same logic that applies when Favre plays with an injury and is deemed a warrior and T.O. comes back from a broken leg to play in the SUPER BOWL and he's a "showboat"; I guess all that rehab, 9 rec, 122yds are just sophomoric antics. :D

I beginning to see exactly what that is. :D