[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shut up M Irvin

Randall

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting you should note that.  My thought is that the same logic that applies when Favre plays with an injury and is deemed a warrior and T.O. comes back from a broken leg to play in the SUPER BOWL and he's a "showboat"; I guess all that rehab, 9 rec, 122yds are just sophomoric antics. :D

I beginning to see exactly what that is. :D

995336[/snapback]

No one ever said TO's performance in the super bowl was a showboat thing.

Lets leave the race card out of it.

oh, its I'm

Edited by piratesownninjas

and you're saying only 500,000, like its chump change...

where do you work, and are they hiring?

He was a first round pick, and got a nice little bonus as well...

995341[/snapback]

$500K a year is not alot of money. Maybe it is in Indianapolis (or Green Bay), but in New York and Connecticut everyone makes that much.

Edited by Vet

Hmm, interesting you should note that.  My thought is that the same logic that applies when Favre plays with an injury and is deemed a warrior and T.O. comes back from a broken leg to play in the SUPER BOWL and he's a "showboat"; I guess all that rehab, 9 rec, 122yds are just sophomoric antics. :D

995336[/snapback]

I never said that T.O. was a "showboat" by coming back from an injury to play in the SB. He played lights-out that game and deserves credit.

But, of course, Favre doesn't sign footballs with Sharpies, do idiotic dances, or insult the Dallas Cowboys after throwing TD passes. Hmmm... maybe that's where T.O. got the "showboat" label. :D

Oh, and I don't believe that Favre ever threatened to hold out in the second year of a contract, either. So, he doesn't get the "jacka$$" label, either.

Of course, Walker had a contract with the Packers to honor.  Why did this suddenly get lost in the discussion?

Favre has every right to tell a player to get back in camp.  They're trying to win football games.  And Walker had every right to tell him to put a sock in it.  But he chose not to.

BTW, even if Walker's career ended on Sunday (which it most likely didn't), he'd still be better off financially that almost all of us.  Even if he can play for, say, three or four more years at the league minimum, he'll still be a millionaire.  Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?

Careers can end very abruptly in the NFL.  That's why players get astronomical salaries, huge signing bonuses up front, and incredible health benefits.

Given that thousands of poor families on welfare are homeless now because of Hurricane Katrina, Irvin couldn't have picked a worse time to bring this up.  Feel sorry for the REAL poor people, not Javon Walker.

995304[/snapback]

You know yer losing a debate when you start bring up Katrina victims. W.T.F does that have to do with anything? I don't feel sorry for anyone in this situation. It is about whether or not Favre should have kept his big mouth shut.

Again, why did Favre take management's side if Walker was the one they needed to win games? It was the easy way out for Favre to take cheap shots at the fro, in the press. It put additional pressure on Walker to be the good guy and show up for camp.

Favre could have just as easily pressured Packer management to pay Walker what everyone knows he's worht. $hit I paid more for him in auction league money than the Packers were paying him. Favre could have also said you know what, he's so important to the team take 2 million from my 10 million this year and give it to Javon. He passed on thos two options.

It is hypocritical for Favre to call out Walker as such an important part of the team's success while telling him to play for $515,000.00. If he was as important to the team's success as Favre made him out to be (and actually was) he was underpaid.

Do a experiment..Hold out on your job for more money and see what happens. see who calls you and what they say.

995306[/snapback]

I'll tell you what I did. I didn't like what McDonald's was paying so I wlked across the street and started working at Bonanza for more money. Could Walker have done that?

I'll tell you what I did.  I didn't like what McDonald's was paying so I wlked across the street and started working at Bonanza for more money.  Could Walker have done that?

995366[/snapback]

Thats an asinine comment.

When dealing with employers that have contracts and what not, things tend to be ran a little bit different than a high school job.

I do a lot of things around my office, my manager drives a decked out Lexus, I barley have the money to make payments for rent and my car... I don't complain.  They've been here longer, and have done more.

995329[/snapback]

And if they chimed in with off the cuff, inappropriate comments at raise or promotion time for you based on opinion and not fact that could adversely affect your career, you'd be pissed b/c that is your livelihood and security for your family at stake. :D

Keep it real people, keep it real :D

can we not bring "entitlement society" and hurricane katrina into this?

this is a simple situtation where favre was clearly out of line. when he makes a statement like, "he's going about it the wrong way," and then expresses his opinion that walker should be back in camp, he knows that the media is going to run with it and call out walker's situation even more. walker then gets painted as if he is not a team player and gets lumped in with the gang the media paints as spoiled brats.

this is no one-year wonder. as said earlier, this is a guy in the 4th year of a 5 year deal who has become an elite receiver in the nfl. if there is "good faith" in the owner's box, then they would see this and reward the player with what he deserves compared to his peers. he should not have to hold out to renegotiate.

but there is no "good faith" so he has to use the only leverage he has. favre cracking on him hurts his leverage which is hardly the way to treat a teammate.

tony

Edited by tonorator

995341[/snapback]

its definitely not chump change where I work, but where he works it is. If work at Kmart, I expect Kmart money. If I work at IBM or Dell, I expect that kind of money. The money in the NFL or any professional sport is outrageous. We know that. I don't see how that is the focus of the topic. You have a second-string lineman making 500K.

As a Cowboy fan, I've had to deal with Irvin's antics for many years. But on this one I agree that this was not Brett's place to speakly to the media about javons contract. Speaking privately between the two of them is different. That's when he could did the whole "good of the team" piece.

It is hypocritical for Favre to call out Walker as such an important part of the team's success while telling him to play for $515,000.00.  If he was as important to the team's success as Favre made him out to be (and actually was) he was underpaid.

995358[/snapback]

If my boss did the same thing and paid me $515k/year, I'd be pretty freaking happy. You're losing perspective here.

Again, Javon Walker is a grown man. He could've decided to hold out, despite what Brett wanted. But he CHOSE not to. And he suffered a knee injury. And now it's all Favre's fault? That's idiotic Entitlement Society logic.

BTW, I wonder how much more money mediocre WRs like Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder have made because they put up great stats by playing with Favre, as opposed to just a mediocre QB. :D

Oh really?  Everyone there makes 500000 dollars?  You sir, are either an idiot, or have no grasp on reality.

995368[/snapback]

I've been to Connecticut several times (my in-laws live there). Apparently Vet has never noticed the abundance of poor Hispanics in Waterbury or poor blacks in New Haven (yes, right next to Yale!). The gated communities of Greenwich and Litchfield are the exception, not the norm.

where do you work, and are they hiring?

He was a first round pick, and got a nice little bonus as well...

995341[/snapback]

Only problem is you reach retirement age roughly 30 years before you do in your professional life. You won't catch Favre busting his a** after he retires.

I do a lot of things around my office, my manager drives a decked out Lexus, I barley have the money to make payments for rent and my car... I don't complain. They've been here longer, and have done more.

No one ever said TO's performance in the super bowl was a showboat thing. 

Lets leave the race card out of it.

oh, its I'm

995351[/snapback]

Cool, then let's. And thanks.

Oh BTW, it's barely... :D

Only problem is you reach retirement age roughly 30 years before you do in your professional life.

995401[/snapback]

Oh, my God! Walker might have to get a REGULAR job at age 30, just like the rest of us! He might only have a half million in the bank by then! HOW will he survive??? :D

BTW, I wonder how much more money mediocre WRs like Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder have made because they put up great stats by playing with Favre, as opposed to just a mediocre QB.  :D

995386[/snapback]

When Driver and Freeman succeeded the Packers rewarded them with good contracts, which is what Farvre was saying, I think, in Walker's case too. Maybe Irvin didn't recall those.

If my boss did the same thing and paid me $515k/year, I'd be pretty freaking happy.  You're losing perspective here.

Again, Javon Walker is a grown man.  He could've decided to hold out, despite what Brett wanted.  But he CHOSE not to.  And he suffered a knee injury.  And now it's all Favre's fault?  That's idiotic Entitlement Society logic.

BTW, I wonder how much more money mediocre WRs like Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder have made because they put up great stats by playing with Favre, as opposed to just a mediocre QB.  :D

995386[/snapback]

Dude you've lost perspective here not me. Yes $500,000.00 a year is a lot of money to nobody's like you and me. It ain't $hit in the NFL.

I never said it is Favre's fault that Walker got injured nobody has. You keep pulling that inaccurate statement out yer a$$ when nobody's made that argument. What we are saying was that it was wrong for Favre to call Walker out in the press. That's what Irvin said and I agree.

Explain to me why, if Walker was such and important part of the team, Farve called him out instead of calling management out to pay this important player money we all know him to be worth in terms of NFL money.

I never said that T.O. was a "showboat" by coming back from an injury to play in the SB.  He played lights-out that game and deserves credit.

But, of course, Favre doesn't sign footballs with Sharpies, do idiotic dances, or insult the Dallas Cowboys after throwing TD passes.  Hmmm... maybe that's where T.O. got the "showboat" label.  :D 

Oh, and I don't believe that Favre ever threatened to hold out in the second year of a contract, either.  So, he doesn't get the "jacka$$" label, either.

995354[/snapback]

Deny the numbers and productivity and you've got a point. It ain't bragging if it's true; it's simply reporting the facts :D

Back to the issue from a different perspective. Would this discussion be the same if Driver made a comment of similar ilk toward Favre? Say, for the sake of argument, Favre continues through three weeks as he did in week one and in the interest of wanting to win Favre was "called out" in similar fashion. Justifiable?