[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Edge Debate

NavinRJohnson

Even in your scoring system he was the # 8 RB. And you need to explain to me how the # 8 RB is a mid-tier RB because that I don't get. I think this is all funny stuff because he is a top 5ish RB in just about every league and yet we have these posts on him. That in itself is pretty funny. In my league he was 6. In the above guys league he was 5. I have seen others say he was 4, so I just don't get it, but okay he's mid-tier. And I certainly don't see how in a 12 team league you are hurtin with the # 8 RB. That I don't get. So at least 4 teams have a worse # 1 RB than you and any top 10 RB is a # 1 in any 10 or 12 team league IMO. You want my honest opinion? I think you don't like Edge and are going WAY overboard here and I think you'd even admit that Navin.

996082[/snapback]

You HAVE to stick up for him, G-Fan! You're in a keeper league! :D

Seriously though, if you look at his stats for the season as a whole, then yes, he may very well have been the 8th best FFL back in 2004. Here's the problem, though:

How many WEEKS did he even finish in the Top Twelve? You know as well as I do that it wasn't very many. You don't draft a guy in the first round because he averaged 15 points a game. You draft a guy in the first round because he put up several 20 to 30 point games and put his owner's team over the top that week.

THAT'S the big difference I see between Edge and most of the other backs that were taken in the first and second rounds.

He gets the stats because of the system he's in.  You could put Kevan Barlow in that system and he would get the same stats.

996330[/snapback]

Wow, now you are just going completely overboard. He did have 9 rushing TDs last season. He scored a TD in 7 out of 15 games (discounting the Week 17 game that he had 1 carry). So besides finishing 4th in rushing, 2nd in total yardage, he also tied for 11th in RB TDs last season...it's not like he was Duce Staley. :D

All I'm saying is that just like any NFL calibre back can put up great stats in the Denver and Kansas City offenses any NFL calibre back can put up great stats in the Indianapolis offense.

You saw what Barlow was able to do in 2003 when he actually had some help. He just can't make something out of nothing the way the elite backs in the league can do. However, put him in the Colts offense, and I guarantee you that he gets 1500 combined yards and 10 TDs easily.

Question 1:  If you had Edge last year, how'd you finish in your league?

Question 2:  If you had Edge last year, do you have him again this year?

994643[/snapback]

You should narrow your question to ask people in TD-centric leagues like yours, it definitely changes the answer.

I did not have him in my TD-focus league, but I would have no issue having him in my auction league that doesn't award points until 75 yards either rushing or receiving (I know, it sucks, but it's the rule for now). Here's why:

1. He's fully recovered from his injury, and looks like that special player he once was

2. He's in a one year contract, so has everything to play for.

3. The improved defense might just convince Dungy to use the run a little more to control the pace and the clock, a style he loves. Manning isn't the kind of guy to complain about not throwing enough, especially if they are winning.

4. He's utilized heavily in the passing game, so even if they are in pass-mode, he'll get touches.

He has every opportunity to regain his 12-15 TD form, and that's enough to get into top 5 territory, and his yards will be nice bonuses in your league (less so than in other leagues, but nice nonetheless).

Using Edge and Barlow in the same sentence is criminal btw.

In what I believe to be a pretty good move in my keeper league I traded for Edge, after previously trading LT for Manning. I love it. I don't care at all that Peyton gets all the TD's. I'm not going to get greedy and trade for a RB that has the potential to do more for the team he's on. I know that the Colts are going to get 400+ yards and 28+ points on a pretty consistent basis. I plan on getting a touch of 95% of those points thank you very much. WIth a plethora of draft picks I traded for, I was able to draft Vanderjagt earlier than other teams could afford to take a kicker. I'm just gonna sit back and count my cash from these guys.

Had him last year and was the highest scoring team and won Superbowl with him. 12 team league

This year no I was 3rd pick in a ten teamer took manning figured enough decent backs would fall and its a start 2 qb league.

How many WEEKS did he even finish in the Top Twelve?

996361[/snapback]

Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to answer my own question. According to ESPN's traditional scoring, here's how Edge ranked among FFL RBs each week:

Week 1: 14th

Week 2: 2nd

Week 3: 12th

Week 4: 11th

Week 5: 5th

Week 6: Bye

Week 7: 15th

Week 8: 13th

Week 9: 10th

Week 10: 26th

Week 11: 2nd

Week 12: 17th

Week 13: 7th

Week 14: 16th

Week 15: 13th

Week 16: 15th

Week 17: DNP

Entire Season (Weeks 1 through 17): 6th

If you're just looking at the full season's stats, then he looks like a stud. However, if you break it down week by week, he's not so studly is he?

Don't get me wrong. I'd be happy to take Edge in the bottom half of the second round, but in the first round or the top half of the second when there are much better backs (not to mention stud QBs and WRs) available? No way, Jose!

I had Edge last year and finished dead last in a 10-team league. I must admit, my futility was due to a lack of preparation (got married last fall) and unexpected injuries, not purely Edge's lack of TD's. This is a tenured league and I was the champ the year before, so as I said, I take most of the blame for my lack of prep.

I was very tempted to take him at #5 this year, but I passed on him for Priest. He went #6. At least I do not have suffer as that ball-hogging bastage Manning rob him of TD's again this year. Instead, I have to worry about Larry Johnson. Pick your poison, I guess.

I have owned Edge in a keeper league since the year after his ACL injury. I traded away a rookie Deuce McAllister for Edge and bunch of players thinking he was going to have a great year... :D

Anyway, Edge has been a very good and consistent RB for me thanks to the extra points our league has for receptions. (1 pt. / per catch). Last year he was the #3 RB after Tiki and LT so it was nice to have him on my squad. I won our division (1 of 4) with 2 WCs. Won the first playoff game only to lose to the eventual winner of the SB in the semis.

Take the receptions away in a different league and I can see what an owner maybe dissappointed due to the lack of TD production.

You HAVE to stick up for him, G-Fan!  You're in a keeper league!  :D

Seriously though, if you look at his stats for the season as a whole, then yes, he may very well have been the 8th best FFL back in 2004.  Here's the problem, though:

How many WEEKS did he even finish in the Top Twelve?   You know as well as I do that it wasn't very many.  You don't draft a guy in the first round because he averaged 15 points a game.  You draft a guy in the first round because he put up several 20 to 30 point games and put his owner's team over the top that week.

THAT'S the big difference I see between Edge and most of the other backs that were taken in the first and second rounds.

996361[/snapback]

See now that's the arguement I can see making sense. Edge finishes as a top 4-6 RB in 99% of performance scoring leagues because week in and week out he plays and produces good to very good #'s, but true top level RB's need to have more then 1 or 2 very big games a year. That makes sense to me and I can totally understand that POV. Now to me I'll take the consistent every week good performances but some want their # 1 RB to have huge weeks every now and then. Just keep in mind that they also have poor weeks every now and then, but I can understand that POV 100%. Still when the year is over Edge is a top 5ish RB and that to me is the main point, but I can see it.

FYI I am not really in a keeper league. Like for next year I can NOT keep Edge.

Edit to add I also don't buy that Edge is simply a product of the system. In the HISTORY of the NFL he averages the most yards from scrimmage per game of anyone ever. That to me isn't simply a product of the system. I do agree that Rhodes is a good player also and would do well as a starter, he has shown that already, but he would NOT be Edge. If Indy was smart they'd let Harrison go after the year and sign Edge long term, but that's another story.

Edited by giantsfan

Had Edge last year in an 8-man in which we get to keep 1; kept him.

Finished 6-8 but tied for 2nd in the league in scoring. I had NO problems with Edge and am figuring him to get in the low/mid-teens (12-14) in tds this year as Manning's td pass totals drop off.

Question 1:  If you had Edge last year, how'd you finish in your league?

994643[/snapback]

Made our play-offs, earning a 1st rd bye for division record. :D

Bounced the first play-off game I was in though. :D

Question 2:  If you had Edge last year, do you have him again this year?

994643[/snapback]

No

I think question 2 might be better asked "do you have him again, or would you like to have him again?"

Just because someone doesn't have Edge doesn't mean they wouldn't want him on their roster.

Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to answer my own question.  According to ESPN's traditional scoring, here's how Edge ranked among FFL RBs each week:

Week 1:  14th

Week 2:    2nd

Week 3:  12th

Week 4:  11th

Week 5:    5th

Week 6:    Bye

Week 7:    15th

Week 8:    13th

Week 9:    10th

Week 10:  26th

Week 11:  2nd

Week 12:  17th

Week 13:    7th

Week 14:  16th

Week 15:  13th

Week 16:  15th

Week 17:  DNP

Entire Season (Weeks 1 through 17):  6th

If you're just looking at the full season's stats, then he looks like a stud.  However, if you break it down week by week, he's not so studly is he?

Don't get me wrong.  I'd be happy to take Edge in the bottom half of the second round, but in the first round or the top half of the second when there are much better backs (not to mention stud QBs and WRs) available?  No way, Jose!

997083[/snapback]

Ballgame. What a great analysis, tom. :D

• 3 months later...
Final analysis - Edge had 1800 total yds and 14 tds, and the two teams I was fortunate enough to have him on did VERY well.

1244220[/snapback]

Hey, I'll give credit where credit is due. He had a great year and racked up some impressive stats. The fact he did it in 14 1/2 games makes it even more impressive. He was solid and consistent throughout the entire season.

It would have been nice if the bastich had posted totals like this the two seasons I owned him (2003, 2004) but congratulations to the 2005 Edge owners nonetheless.

I still say that he benefits tremendously from the system he's in and the quality of players that he's surrounded by, but we won't know for sure unless he signs with another team during the offseason and I don't see the Colts allowing that to happen.