[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 hit wonders and bandwagons ...

tosberg34

Case in point: Willie Parker.

As I am perusing thru many forums, I actually see many owners asking if they should bench their stud running back (e.g. Shaun Alexander, Ahman Green, etc...) for the latest flavor of the week. Year in and year out we get posts like this. Let me ask this? How many of you have been burned over the years by <insert unknown nfl player name here> because you decided to start said unknown over a proven stud or starter?

After being burned myself too many times, I decided that I would never again start an unknown commodity over a proven stud/starter. 1 big game doesn't make a stud! What makes a stud is reliablity in scoring points against many teams, regardless of who it is. So te even question whether you should bench, say Alexander, for Parker is idiotic. Shouldn't you as an owner at the VERY least wait 2 or 3 big games from the flavor of the week before making that kind of decision?

Ok, I'm done ranting. Just want to get everyones take if they want to list it here.

While I agree it is stupid to bench a stud in favor of Parker, you have to admit the PIT offense is set up nicely for RBs to succeed. It's hard to argue the fact that last week Parker tore up a terrible D and now faces another bad D in Tenn. The offense is geared to run early and often. If it was a weak team with a bad offense, I think it would be a different story. I think the question of starting Parker or not is justified in some cases. But no way do you start him over some of your early round picks in week 2.

While I agree it is stupid to bench a stud in favor of Parker, you have to admit the PIT offense is set up nicely for RBs to succeed.  It's hard to argue the fact that last week Parker tore up a terrible D and now faces another bad D in Tenn.  The offense is geared to run early and often.  If it was a weak team with a bad offense, I think it would be a different story.  I think the question of starting Parker or not is justified in some cases.  But no way do you start him over some of your early round picks in week 2.

998984[/snapback]

I agree. If Parker is the only choice or the choice over a weaker set of RB's then I'd say gamble. But benching your stud because of 1 game does not make sense.

Playing it safe doesn't win many championships.

I wonder how many DDavis or SAlexander owners lost last week with Parker on their bench.

998978[/snapback]

Sure, many people who gamble win big. You can count them on your hand probably. But does anyone ever count the people that lose? There is a time and place for gambling your studs and many veteran owners know that it is not after week 1. Unless you are a) desperate for a RB or :D have non-studs on your roster you shouldn't be gambling like that so early in the season.

I'm benching DDavis this week for Willie Parker.  DDavis was my first round pick.  He sucked last week against a tough Buffalo defense.  It's likely he will suck again this week against a tough PIT defense.

I almost benched DD last week too.  I'm pulling the trigger this week.

999011[/snapback]

Good luck with that. I'll be watching that closely to see if I should eat any crow come Monday. :D

I'm benching DDavis this week for Willie Parker.  DDavis was my first round pick.  He sucked last week against a tough Buffalo defense.  It's likely he will suck again this week against a tough PIT defense.

999011[/snapback]

Grits, I have Shaun Alexander (vs. ATL) and Tiki Barber (vs. NO) in my starting lineup right now. In your opinion, would Parker (vs. HOU) deserve a start over either of them this week?

Alexander seems to have the toughest matchup, but he is Shaun Alexander after all. Tiki looks to be losing carries down in the red zone. Sure, PArker tore up Tennessee, but the Texans D is a bit better... I know McGahee got 117 yards, but they kept him out of the end zone.

999011[/snapback]

I'm doing the same this week. Ride the pine DD til a better matchup.

#1 - I think we will see Parker be more than a "flavor of the mont". He is in a position to be the Pitt starting RB until he gets hurt, I think.

#2 - I am sitting Kevin Jones today and putting Willie in. This kid is good and it playing behind a very good O line on a run oriented team that will be winning most games. That is a good situation.

We seem to forget that in today's NFL guys (and teams) come out of nowhere every year and turn into studs. Priest (undrafted in the NFL) rushed for 1k in Balt and when signed by KC was ignored by most fantasy gurus...Boldin was a 2nd round pick but his teams 2nd WR drafted that year and went undrafted in most FF leagues his rookie year. Kurt Warner, Gates, etc. There are so many examples of this kind of thing happening.