[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

:getsonsoapbox:

You know, Belladonna takes a lot of crap as a vocalist, but I think it is pretty undeniable that Anthrax was a much more influential band when he was present. Now, I realize that has something to do with the passing of the torch of metal to grunge and ultimately to entirely different genres like hip-hop, but under his watch Anthrax differentiated themselves from the rest of the metal scene by playing comic relief, helping pioneer rap-rock, and yet still pounded out some of the nastiest, heavy riffs imagianable.

Oh, I agree that Anthrax were a bigger "name" back with Belladonna in the band - I certainly think the bolded part had a large part to do with that, however. I think it's more than fair to point out that a HUGE part of Anthrax differentiation from other metal bands in that area was 100% due to the "Hey, that dude can really sing!" that Belladonna brought to the table - which isn't unheard of in metal, what with Priest, Maiden, and more than a few glam/metal type bands, but in thrash at the time, they were lumped in with Tom "Rrrargh!" Araya, James "Arrrrr!" Hetfield, Tom "Urgh!" Warrior, etc.

And Anthrax still are some funny-ass dudes, it's just a bit less played up these days.

While Bush's voice is much better, his presence pretty much mainstreamed the band.

:getsoffsoapbox:

Having said that, Sound of White Noise is a great album. Unfortunately, Bush's freshman effort was his best.

Again, there's less of an immediate "Hey, that's Anthrax!" sound with John Bush.

But IMO Anthrax were a much STRONGER band, on almost all fronts, but namely the songwriting is stronger and John Bush was just a much better frontman than Joey. I've seen Anthrax twice with each, and while John Bush comes across as a pretty cool guy, Joey always comes across as a dork trying to be cool.

And I just ripped all my 'thrax to my hard drive - I think Sound of White Noise is one hell of an album, but I ripped more songs off both Stomp 442 (which actually even surprised me) and Volume 8. V8 in particular is a fantastic f*cking metal album.

Oh, I agree that Anthrax were a bigger "name" back with Belladonna in the band. ...I think it's more than fair to point out that a HUGE part of Anthrax differentiation from other metal bands in that area was 100% due to the "Hey, that dude can really sing!" that Belladonna brought to the table

Actually, I said they were more influential. I think their music was at the forefront of metal back then. Now it is just a voice in the crowd of metal. The biggest critisism I've heard of Belladonna is that he can't sing. Range is too high, tinny voice, not a metal growl, etc. We seem to agree that he has a good voice for this music and this band.

I've seen Anthrax twice with each, and while John Bush comes across as a pretty cool guy, Joey always comes across as a dork trying to be cool.

And I just ripped all my 'thrax to my hard drive - I think Sound of White Noise is one hell of an album, but I ripped more songs off both Stomp 442 (which actually even surprised me) and Volume 8. V8 in particular is a fantastic f*cking metal album.

I've seen Belladonna once, on the reunion tour :wacko: , and I thought he was cool and the band was having a good time. Seen Bush twice and they were superb each time. You're right, V8 is a good album. I'll have to listen to Stomp again as I thought that outside of 2-3 songs it was a poor effort and haven't listened to it for a long time.

Edited by General Itals

Oh, I agree that Anthrax were a bigger "name" back with Belladonna in the band - I certainly think the bolded part had a large part to do with that, however. I think it's more than fair to point out that a HUGE part of Anthrax differentiation from other metal bands in that area was 100% due to the "Hey, that dude can really sing!" that Belladonna brought to the table - which isn't unheard of in metal, what with Priest, Maiden, and more than a few glam/metal type bands, but in thrash at the time, they were lumped in with Tom "Rrrargh!" Araya, James "Arrrrr!" Hetfield, Tom "Urgh!" Warrior, etc.

But IMO Anthrax were a much STRONGER band, on almost all fronts, but namely the songwriting is stronger and John Bush was just a much better frontman than Joey. I've seen Anthrax twice with each, and while John Bush comes across as a pretty cool guy, Joey always comes across as a dork trying to be cool.

Man, Anthrax turned into a MUCH better band with Bush singing. I loved Belladonna years, but the albums they released with Bush are a MUCH thicker sound, more aggressive. It's one of th efew times a band got better after their original lead singer split (Iron Maiden the other).

Sexcuse me, butta whata good... is alllll ze violence, in za world? Unless it is toppled with LIMITLESS sex?

And when you are in France. . . .you pull down your pants!!!

Man, Anthrax turned into a MUCH better band with Bush singing. I loved Belladonna years, but the albums they released with Bush are a MUCH thicker sound, more aggressive. It's one of th efew times a band got better after their original lead singer split (Iron Maiden the other).

Sorry, they just blended into the white noise of early 90's metal with Bush. I do love the song Hi Pro Glow though. IMO, Anthrax's best album was Persistance of Time.

I've seen Anthrax twice with each, and while John Bush comes across as a pretty cool guy, Joey always comes across as a dork trying to be cool.

Doesnt the whole band though? Isnt that kinda thier thing? I dont you could ever accuse them of taking themselves too seriously.

IMO, Anthrax's best album was Persistance of Time.

I don't agree with that at all, being as the best song on that album was a cover. I would have to say either Spreading the Disease and Among the Living were the band's high water marks, which puts me firmly in the Belladonna camp.

But then again, I still consider Bush the Armored Saint singer anyway.

Couldn't agree with you more...

And I know I'm the only one that will think this, but my all time favorite was we've come for you all.

I've heard rumblings that Bush and Armored Saint might be doing something, but I'm not too sure how that would work out.

Couldn't agree with you more...

And I know I'm the only one that will think this, but my all time favorite was we've come for you all.

I've heard rumblings that Bush and Armored Saint might be doing something, but I'm not too sure how that would work out.

That was the oddest thing of it all, too. I never got into Armored Saint... at all. And I loved Anthrax with Belladonna. So when I heard Bush was comign in as a replacement, skeptical is a kind word for how I felt. But wow... listening to "Sound of White Noise", the shock I felt was akin to when I played "Rust In Peace" the first time. Not that the albums are similar sounds in any way, nor even on the sam equality level (I hold Rust in VERY high regard still). But each were VERY unexpected aggressive jumps in quality from a band I already digged. I consider Bush so good, it's hard for me to listen to those old albums the same way anymore... they sound amatuerish in comparison to White Noise, Stomp, etc and I think it sucks that he's not with them anymore.

Doesnt the whole band though? Isnt that kinda thier thing? I dont you could ever accuse them of taking themselves too seriously.

Let me put it this way - Bush has stage presence; Joey has none. Yeah, Scott and Charlie are quite proudly dorks, but they're funny and smart and talented (Charlie Benante is underrated as a musician and he also writes a HUGE chunk of 'thrax's music). Joey can sing; that's about it.

That was the oddest thing of it all, too. I never got into Armored Saint... at all.

You're missing out man - their first album got kinda de-balled by their label, and Delirious Nomad (which I personally like) still isn't quite there - it's tougher than the first album but still a tad muted and there's some unevenness due to Phil Sandoval leaving right before they went into the studio - but Raising Fear sounds great. Saint weren't speed metal per se, but the were a solid, solid NWOBHM-type band with some real balls.

One of my great videotaped treasures is the "Hell on Wheels" tour that MTV aired on the Headbanger's Ball one Halloween - must've been 89-90 or so - featuring Helloween, Armored Saint, and Grim Reaper. While Helloween and Grim Reaper were both pretty good, AS just f*cking OWNED.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the debut of the new Metallica song, "Cyanide"

Video from Ozzfest - soundboard quality audio

On a totally unrelated note, I figured this was the thread that could appreciate a good Glen Danzig spoof. Maybe it's just me, but I found this funny as hell.

Shakira featuring Glen Danzig - My Hips Don't Lie

Edited by Miner

• 3 months later...

I just watched this movie called Get Thrashed, which is an overview of the 80s-era US thrash metal scene, with interviews with a surprising number of the principals (Zet and Gary Holt from Exodus, Lars, Mustaine and Ellefson (who has the great quote that Venom "were more thrash than band"), Scott, Frank, and Charlie from Anthrax, Kerry and Tom from Slayer, guys from Kreator, Destruction, Sodom...you get the idea).

A must-see for any metalhead. I rate it 3 devil horn. \m/ \m/ \m/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...