[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

Then came the first Korn album. Wow. Talk about losing your fire quick. That debut was revolutionary, then came Life is Peachy, Suffering succotash! happened? Around that time I started listening to stuff like Tool, Helmet, Quicksand (another flash in the pan band that had a great debut)and The Afghan Whigs.

Saw Helmet play with Rollins and Sausage (a Les Claypool band) in the mid 90's in NYC. Helmet was very underrated, they were great. "Unsung" is such a buzzsaw-ripping track, it still kicks ass today.

I saw Crue at the Garden about ... geez, is it 2 years ago already? They were excellent. What I mainly listen to in the car every day is Sirius: Stern, NFL Radio and Hair Nation.

FWIW, I saw Crue last fall at the Myth here in the Twin Cities. Vince Neil's voice is gone. I mean completely gone. He wasn't even singing words, just noises that could be thought of as words if you used your imagination. They played a month or two later on at the Excel when they opened for Aerosmith and it was the same thing at that show as well.

Sucks that I never made it to a Crue concert back in the day. :D

Saw Helmet play with Rollins and Sausage (a Les Claypool band) in the mid 90's in NYC. Helmet was very underrated, they were great. "Unsung" is such a buzzsaw-ripping track, it still kicks ass today.

Yeah, Helmet was always good live - my buddy and I saw them several times, and as he said "these guys give a frog's ass something to strive for!" because they were so ridiculously tight live.

Here is my Larry King comment before I split: has any band ever put out a tri-fecta of albums close to the quality Iron Maiden did with Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son of a 7th Son? And the 2 albums leading up top that were real good too...

Kill em All

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

:D

Live After Death

One of the very best live albums ever made. Too many outstanding pieces to mention, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is great.

BTW, Mastodon are well worth a listen although they go in for those totally unintelligible growled vocals.

One of the very best live albums ever made. Too many outstanding pieces to mention, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is great.

BTW, Mastodon are well worth a listen although they go in for those totally unintelligible growled vocals.

Scream for me Long Beach!! :D

What I mainly listen to in the car every day is Sirius: Stern, NFL Radio and Hair Nation...it's great to listen to the Metal again. I'm talkin about non-stop rockin.

That's actually what made me dig the stuff out again. Last summer, I went back to where I used to work on a construction site as an electrician. The dude I worked with was a huge headbanger and would bring his Sirius box out to the worksite and we would listen to Howard in the morning and then switch over to Hair Nation in the afternoon. I used to have a lot of it on cassette, but it's long since gone, so I borrowed many a CD (including Motley Crue, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Dio, Wasp, etc.) from the guy and burned them and I've been playing a lot of it ever since. I have to say, a good majority of it gets old quickly, but, at least to me, not the Crue.

Vince Neil's voice is gone. I mean completely gone. He wasn't even singing words, just noises that could be thought of as words if you used your imagination.

Sucks to hear it, on Too Fast For Love and Too Young to Fall in Love his voice rocks. Both those tracks have a very punkish sound to them, and they both kick ass IMHO.

Kill em All

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

True that, good stuff right there. I remember listening to WSOU back in the day and taping Breadfan off it and jamming to it all the time...never could understand why it wasn't on a US album. Strange to remember how you had to go to the "import" section of certain record stores to find the good stuff, including anything punk for those of us who liked that sort of thing. :D

Kill em All

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

Kill em all wasn't that strong....

but if your grouped Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets & ...And Justice For All, you would have a better Tri-Fecta. I still don't know if it would match that Maiden run, but one of the best 3-album run's of all time no doubt.

In fact, Megadeth:

Peace Sells

So Far So Good

Rust In Peace (one of top 10 metal albums EVA!)

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

Kill em all wasn't that strong....

but if your grouped Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets & ...And Justice For All, you would have a better Tri-Fecta. I still don't know if it would match that Maiden run, but one of the best 3-album run's of all time no doubt.

In fact, Megadeth:

Peace Sells

So Far So Good

Rust In Peace (one of top 10 metal albums EVA!)

+1 I always liked Megadeth better than Metallica. "In My Darkest Hour" is phukn great.

+1 I always liked Megadeth better than Metallica. "In My Darkest Hour" is phukn great.

yea yea, that song is great and I also really liked Megadeth, more than Metallica at points. A lot of tracks on Kill Em and Lightening were written by Mustaine (common knowledge, but go listen to "4 Horseman" and then "Mechanix"... same song).

If you grouped all Metallica's and Megadeth's albums together in a battle royal, you would get a final death match between Puppets and Rust, which I would have to give Rust the winning hand. That album blisters at points, Friedman is insanely talented playing on the other side of Mustaine. Listen to that and tell me that when you listen to Hangar 18, that song just makes you uncomfortably charged as it speeds up on it's way out. Awesome. They set the bar so hi with this, nobody ever came close after including them. Even though they followed Metallica into the soter sound, their albums Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are way better than Metallica's Black album.

yea yea, that song is great and I also really liked Megadeth, more than Metallica at points. A lot of tracks on Kill Em and Lightening were written by Mustaine (common knowledge, but go listen to "4 Horseman" and then "Mechanix"... same song).

If you grouped all Metallica's and Megadeth's albums together in a battle royal, you would get a final death match between Puppets and Rust, which I would have to give Rust the winning hand. That album blisters at points, Friedman is insanely talented playing on the other side of Mustaine. Listen to that and tell me that when you listen to Hangar 18, that song just makes you uncomfortably charged as it speeds up on it's way out. Awesome. They set the bar so hi with this, nobody ever came close after including them. Even though they followed Metallica into the soter sound, their albums Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are way better than Metallica's Black album.

Yep, I dont think Mustaine and Hetfield's heads could fit on the same stage. I saw some old footage of an early "Metal up Yer A$$" show whith Mustaine and it didnt sound like Metallica at all. I would have to say you are way off with Rust being the best album. Peace sells is epic. Devils Island and Peace Sells (I mean, MTV still uses the Peace sells rif to open thier news with) pop to mind as stand outs. Havent heard either album in years. As for Metallica, I'd go with Justice. I just love the layered sounds on that album and the production quality.

One band that gets overlooked is Overkill. I think thier early stuff is right up there with Metallica and Megadeth. Years of Decay and UNder the Influence were all time fav's of mine back in the day.

I would have to say you are way off with Rust being the best album. Peace sells is epic. Devils Island and Peace Sells (I mean, MTV still uses the Peace sells rif to open thier news with) pop to mind as stand outs. Havent heard either album in years. As for Metallica, I'd go with Justice. I just love the layered sounds on that album and the production quality.

Odd how we can disagree so much on a subject we agree on.

Peace Sells is awesome and the tital track has an aboslutely killer baseline, Bad Omen is a fantastic track. But it is, IMO, just blown away by Rust as a whole. Friedman is such a better guitarist than Poland ever was, his prescence alone (nevermind stronger tracks) lifts the cd above Peace. Holy Wars is sick (listen to it with headphones as the guitars switch back and forth from one side to the other in that final minute), and Hangar 18 is a killer dual guitar track with outgoing solos' clocking in at like 2 minutes, and Menza's increasing tempo drum beat just make you feel so charged to the point where you can't take it... this song is one of the best metal tracks ever. Tornado of Souls is so great, and the build up through that solo into the final verse makes a 5 minute song seem too short. Poison was the Cure is SO fast, Rust In peace...Polaris, Lucretia... this album is so awesome on every level. 5 Magics is the only track that is kinda out of place, but even that song is good. I can go on and on on this album, you would get a similar man-crush review if I were talking about Mindcrime or Powerslave.

And Metallica, I think Puppets is so much better than Justice. Damage Inc, Battery, Puupets and Diposable Heroes is just too tight a combo on an album to be beaten. I love Justice, it's loaded with great tracks like Dyers Eve, Blackened, Justice and Harvester... but it's a much thinner and tinnier sound than Puppets.

Odd how we can disagree so much on a subject we agree on.

Peace Sells is awesome and the tital track has an aboslutely killer baseline, Bad Omen is a fantastic track. But it is, IMO, just blown away by Rust as a whole. Friedman is such a better guitarist than Poland ever was, hsi prescence alone (nevermind stronger tracks) lifts the cd above Peace. Holy Wars is sick (listen to it with headphones as the guitars switch back and forth from one side to the other in that final minute), and Hangar 18 is a killer dual guitar track with outgoing solos' clocking in at like 2 minutes, and Menza's increasing temp drum beat jsut make you feel so charged to the point where you can't take it... this song is one of the best metal tracks ever. Tornado of Souls is so great, and the build up through that solo into the final verse makes a 5 minute song seem too short. Poison was the Cure is SO fast, Rust In peace...Polaris, Lucretia... thi salbum is so awesome on every level. 5 magics is the only track that is kinda out of place, but even that song is good. I can go on an don on this album, you woudl get a similar man-crush review if I were talking abotu Mindcrime or Powerslave.

And Metallica, I think Puppets is so much better than Justice. Damage Inc, Battery, Puupets and Diposable Heroes is just too tight a combo on an album to be beaten. I love Justice, it's loaded with great tracks like Dyers Eve, Blackened, Justice and Harvester... but it's a much thinner and tinnier sound than Puppets.

Ya, I forgot about Tornado of Souls. Best track on that album, IMO. Marty Friedman is a fantastic guitarist and a great change of pace to Daves interchangable leads. That album, for me, was when Megadeth lost thier edge though. Dave Elfson does alot of the composition for Megadeth so dont forget to give him his props.

Dont even get me started on the Maiden. I cant really pick a favorite album of thiers. I guess if forced I'd have to go 7th Son, Powerslave, Somewhere in time, Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast, Killers, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark. In that order. I was such a hugh Maiden fan. My bedroom was covered with Maiden posters. Geez, I wish I still had em... The door poster from 7th Son where Eddies half body was burning through the door holding that fetus, the Aces High Poster, etc. I had the original vinal Somewhere in Time sleve on my wall and could stare at that thing for hours and pick out nuances and references to other albums. Dude, I am going to buy 7th Son this weekend, I need my Infinite Dreams fix!

Edited by DemonKnight

Dont even get me started on the Maiden. I cant really pick a favorite album of thiers. I guess if forced I'd have to go 7th Son, Powerslave, Somewhere in time, Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast, Killers, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark. In that order. I was such a hugh Maiden fan. My bedroom was covered with Maiden posters. Geez, I wish I still had em... The door poster from 7th Son where Eddies half body was burning through the door holding that fetus, the Aces High Poster, etc. I had the original vinal Somewhere in Time sleve on my wall and could stare at that thing for hours and pick out nuances and references to other albums. Dude, I am going to buy 7th Son this weekend, I need my Infinite Dreams fix!

I would put them in the same order, but switch up 7th Son & Powerslave plus add in Live After Death, so it would be for me:

Powerslave, 7th Son, Somewhere in time, Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast, Live After Death, Killers, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark.

Running Free is SO much better live with Dickenson singing than the original DiAnno version.

I used to buy the LP singles just for the artwork, Riggs should have released a book with all those Maiden covers. The small details were always great and I also would comb over the Somewhere in Time and Powerslave covers lookign for Easter Eggs.

I would put them in the same order, but switch up 7th Son & Powerslave plus add in Live After Death, so it would be for me:

Powerslave, 7th Son, Somewhere in time, Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast, Live After Death, Killers, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark.

Running Free is SO much better live with Dickenson singing than the original DiAnno version.

I used to buy the LP singles just for the artwork, Riggs should have released a book with all those Maiden covers. The small details were always great and I also would comb over the Somewhere in Time and Powerslave covers lookign for Easter Eggs.

I'm surprised you have Killers and the self-titled so low. Both are better than Somewhere in Time, IMO. If I had to rank them:

Powerslave (love Flash of the Blade)

Self-Titled

Piece of Mind

7th son

Killers

Beast

Somewhere in Time

The Mechanix was a Metallica song until Mustaine was kicked out. It was actually on their first demo. I have some ancient footage of one of their early shows, it f'n rocks....No Remorse, The Mechanix, Phantom Lord. :D

As far as Peace Sells vs. RIP, it's a tossup to me. Both outstanding.

I think it was 2 weeks ago, VH1 had a top 20 Metal bands of all time. It was great, but I was surprised that Scorpions wasn't even in it. They also did not include Van Halen or Guns N Roses

1. Metallica

2. AC DC

3. Iron Maiden :D (Powerslave, best album and concert I've ever seen)

4. Black Sabbath

Dio, Ozzy, Priest, Megadeath, Motorhead and Def Leppard rounded out the top 10, but I can't remember the order.

11-20 were mostly 80's big hair bands: Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Queensryche, Motley Crue

I think it was 2 weeks ago, VH1 had a top 20 Metal bands of all time. It was great, but I was surprised that Scorpions wasn't even in it. They also did not include Van Halen or Guns N Roses

1. Metallica

2. AC DC

3. Iron Maiden :D (Powerslave, best album and concert I've ever seen)

4. Black Sabbath

Dio, Ozzy, Priest, Megadeath, Motorhead and Def Leppard rounded out the top 10, but I can't remember the order.

11-20 were mostly 80's big hair bands: Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Queensryche, Motley Crue

Any list putting Metallica above Black Sabbath must be suspect.

Yeah, Helmet was always good live - my buddy and I saw them several times, and as he said "these guys give a frog's ass something to strive for!" because they were so ridiculously tight live.

Yep, I saw Helmet open for Sepultura & Ministry in LA, Scott Ian came out for an encore on "Supernaut" with Jourgeson, incredible show.

Any list putting Metallica above Black Sabbath must be suspect.

+1

Think about the hippy sound when they came out... what the hell were they thinking when they started writing music like that?

Sabbath isn't really my bag, and neither was Ozzy after, but they certainly were groundbreaking and very important to The Metal. Metallica was a great band, but I don't think they had the impact to The Metal like Sabbath did and I would argue that they weren't even better than Megadeth... they were simply more popular.

Metallica was a great band, but I don't think they had the impact to The Metal like Sabbath did and I would argue that they weren't even better than Megadeth... they were simply more popular.

I find that a totally odd statement. IMO, Megadeth was a great band about half the time, and subpar the rest.

every 'Deth album has loads of filler, & buckets of rinky dink lame riffs. Sure you can throw up Peace Sells, Rust, and Countdown to Extinction (which I love) as examples of great metal, but Metallica NEVER put up a bag of crap like So Far So Good So What in their heyday. THEY were saving that for Load thru St Anger. :D

Again, my opinion, but for the first 5 albums, Metallica was a far more consistant act than Megadeth. And when Ride the Lightning came out, there was NOTHING like it, it changed the face of Metal.