[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

W.Parker

Bombs Away

I guess we can forget the comparison to Q.Griffin, and also the idea that Parker will be sharing carries with the old bus and Staley I broke a nail...again

If you hesistated picking him up, shame on you. Now you have to worry facing him every week. Next week at home against NE. Davis 3 rushing TD's? Davis is no Parker :D

Edited by Bombs Away

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 good weeks, 2 sub-par defenses.  I think he will be good, but I'd like to see what he can do against a solid defense.

1001066[/snapback]

These are my exact thoughts. I've started him two weeks in a row, but I will be looking at the matchups hard next week (who do the Steelers play?).

When Bettis comes back he will lose TDs just like Staley did last year..

1001077[/snapback]

Come on, how can you compare Staley and Bettis to Parker. You are speaking as a devil's advocate. Sorry, the devil was struck down. Bettis and Staley will remain on the sidelines. You guys need to wakeup and watch the game film, its pretty plain to see. Look at what J.Lewis did against that terrible Tenn D :D

Come on, how can you compare Staley and Bettis to Parker.  You are speaking as a devil's advocate.  Sorry, the devil was struck down.  Bettis and Staley will remain on the sidelines.  You guys need to wakeup and watch the game film, its pretty plain to see.  Look at what J.Lewis did against that terrible Tenn D   :D

1001092[/snapback]

You obviously dont take into account Cowhers Loyalty to his players and how Bettis is a beloved player for that team. He isnt going to get carries because of all of that hes gonna get carries when he is healthy because he is one of the best short yardage backs in the history of the game. When he is healthy you can make book on the fact that he will swipe TDs from Parker. Laugh now because its the honeymoon. Let Willie face some Tough Ds and handle a full NFL schedule and ill be impressed. Cowher will no doubt give Bettis his and mix in Staley too..If Tds arent important in your league maybe it wont be a problem for you. I know Parker is talented but you are annointing him too early.

Edited by whomper

I convinced. I'm still not ready to say that he is going to be the one and only back in there at all times.

2 good weeks, 2 sub-par defenses.  I think he will be good, but I'd like to see what he can do against a solid defense.

1001066[/snapback]

Just take a look back to last year vs Buffalo when Buffalo desperatly needed to win in order to make the playoffs. 19-102 vs Buffalo's run defense made me take notice last yeaer.
When Bettis comes back he will lose TDs just like Staley did last year..

1001077[/snapback]

This is a legitimate worry and the only reason that I would not have him in the top ten of RB's if we were to draft right now. However, I am at this time ready to say that Parker is the number one RB on this team and he has both Bettis, and Stayley’s support. Not to mention Cowher has had nothing but good things to say.

You obviously dont take into account Cowhers Loyalty to his players and how Bettis is a beloved player for that team. He isnt going to get carries because of all of that hes gonna get carries when he is healthy because he is one of the best short yardage backs in the history of the game. When he is healthy you can make book on the fact that he will swipe TDs from Parker. Laugh now because its the honeymoon. Let Willie face some Tough Ds and handle a full NFL schedule and ill be impressed. Cowher will no doubt give Bettis his and mix in Staley too..If Tds arent important in your league maybe it wont be a problem for you. I know Parker is talented but you are annointing him too early.

1001134[/snapback]

Some points on this topic:

1. Willie Parker is a good running back. He is the real deal. He is patient and when he hits the whole, he is quick and powerful.

2. Everyone is quick to forget how successful Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis were running in this offense last year. They can both still play and play well. Cowher will use them all.

3. When Staley comes back and is 100% healthy, he will take over the role that Verron Haynes currently has, which is change of pace and 3rd down back. Staley has a lot of talent, and Cowher will not waste him on the sidelines when he is 100%. However, the starting RB job belongs to Willie Parker unless he does something to lose it, which is doubtful to me.

4. When Bettis comes back and is 100% healthy, he is the goal-line back, no question about it. As good as Parker is, you can't compare it to a fresh Bettis coming in on short yardage situations. It is very tough for defenses to stop, and Cowher will use him. Bettis will vulture the short-yardage TD's.

5. In the end, Willie Parker's value will remain high, because he is the kind of back that can break away from anywhere on the field. However, the Steelers don't use their backs in the passing game a whole lot, and Bettis will vulture some goal-line TD's away. From a Steelers standpoint, a healthy Parker, Bettis, Staley, and Hayes is a VERY good thing.

Some points on this topic:

1.  Willie Parker is a good running back.  He is the real deal.  He is patient and when he hits the whole, he is quick and powerful.

2.  Everyone is quick to forget how successful Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis were running in this offense last year.  They can both still play and play well.  Cowher will use them all.

3.  When Staley comes back and is 100% healthy, he will take over the role that Verron Haynes currently has, which is change of pace and 3rd down back.  Staley has a lot of talent, and Cowher will not waste him on the sidelines when he is 100%.  However, the starting RB job belongs to Willie Parker unless he does something to lose it, which is doubtful to me.

4.  When Bettis comes back and is 100% healthy, he is the goal-line back, no question about it.  As good as Parker is, you can't compare it to a fresh Bettis coming in on short yardage situations.  It is very tough for defenses to stop, and Cowher will use him.  Bettis will vulture the short-yardage TD's.

5.  In the end, Willie Parker's value will remain high, because he is the kind of back that can break away from anywhere on the field.  However, the Steelers don't use their backs in the passing game a whole lot, and Bettis will vulture some goal-line TD's away.  From a Steelers standpoint, a healthy Parker, Bettis, Staley, and Hayes is a VERY good thing.

1001157[/snapback]

This is basically what I said. From a fantasy perspective Staley and Bettis will dent Willies production. The original post in this thread insinuates a healthy Bettis and Staley standing on the sidelines because Parker has blown up these 2 weeks. I just dont think that will be the case. He may end up a Michael Bennet type. A guy that is capable of taking it for a td on any given play but will be pulled at the goalline when Bettis comes back and may lose 3rd downs or a series here and there when Staley comes back.

1001066[/snapback]

I agree with this. Plus as was said above Duce and Bettis will both play some. I think Parker will be and is good but I am not sold on the fact that from a fantasy POV he will be a week in week out play against all teams once all their RB's are healthy.

I guess we can forget the comparison to Q.Griffin, and also the idea that Parker will be sharing carries with the old bus and Staley I broke a nail...again 

If you hesistated picking him up, shame on you.  Now you have to worry facing him every week.  Next week at home against NE.  Davis 3 rushing TD's? Davis is no Parker    :D

1001043[/snapback]

nothing against Willie Parker, but just about anyone could run behind this line.

Roth is averaging almost 20 yards per ATTEMPT behind this line.

Parker looks like Priest Holmes behind this line.

Even Vern Haynes is averaging like 6 yards per carry.

Parker is talented, but his line is so good that when he hits the pine and Bettis and Staley start producing at the same rate ,you are going to see a 3 headed lineup over in Pitt.

Also they have not exactly been playing the best run defenses in the league.

Parker's 2 TDs this year came from 11 and 10 yards out. he would not have lost those to Bettis if Jerome was healthy.

I keep hearing two things: #1 How good there line is and #2 wait until the schedule gets harder? Which is it. If the line is so good the sched. won't matter and the sched is not that hard anyway. NE, SD, JAX, CIN, GB, IND, MIN, CLE??? Other than BAL and CHI (late in the season) I do not see a very tough run D.

Parker's 2 TDs this year came from 11 and 10 yards out.  he would not have lost those to Bettis if Jerome was healthy. 

I keep hearing two things: #1 How good there line is and #2 wait until the schedule gets harder?  Which is it.  If the line is so good the sched. won't matter and the sched is not that hard anyway.  NE, SD, JAX, CIN, GB, IND, MIN, CLE???  Other than BAL and CHI (late in the season) I do not see a very tough run D.

1001223[/snapback]

I expect Parker to produce on a regular basis behind that line, no matter who they play.

Thing is I expect Bettis and Staley to ALSO produce behind this line ,no matter who they play.

Come on, how can you compare Staley and Bettis to Parker.  You are speaking as a devil's advocate.  Sorry, the devil was struck down.  Bettis and Staley will remain on the sidelines.  You guys need to wakeup and watch the game film, its pretty plain to see.  Look at what J.Lewis did against that terrible Tenn D  :D

1001092[/snapback]

You're an idiot. :D

1001418[/snapback]

Great comeback, my god you have me shaking. I thought Jamal Lewis was a stud RB? What's up with that, Titans D? Come on folks wake up and smell the Parker era. Parker is the whole package, he will stay in regardless of Staley and Bettis. Don't get me wrong, Parker will get a well earned breather from time to time. That's it. Cowher's loyalty will not cloud his judgement.

Edited by Bombs Away

Great comeback, my god you have me shaking.  I thought Jamal Lewis was a stud RB?  What's up with that, Titans D? Come on folks wake up and smell the Parker era. Parker is the whole package, he will stay in regardless of Staley and Bettis.  Don't get me wrong, Parker will get a well earned breather from time to time.  That's it.  Cowher's loyalty will not cloud his judgement.

1001451[/snapback]

I guess time will tell

Great comeback, my god you have me shaking.  I thought Jamal Lewis was a stud RB?  What's up with that, Titans D? Come on folks wake up and smell the Parker era. Parker is the whole package, he will stay in regardless of Staley and Bettis.  Don't get me wrong, Parker will get a well earned breather from time to time.  That's it.  Cowher's loyalty will not cloud his judgement.

1001451[/snapback]

nothing against Willie Parker, but just about anyone could run behind this line.

Roth is averaging almost 20 yards per ATTEMPT behind this line.

Parker looks like Priest Holmes behind this line.

Even Vern Haynes is averaging like 6 yards per carry.

Parker is talented, but his line is so good that when he hits the pine and Bettis and Staley start producing at the same rate ,you are going to see a 3 headed lineup over in Pitt.

Also they have not exactly been playing the best run defenses in the league.

1001177[/snapback]

:D:D Exactly!!!