[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congrats to the Cats

msaint

Bottom line, great game by Carolina. :doah:

I haven't seen a defense make Brady look that off balance in a long time. That, and Brady missed open WRs like I'd never seen him do before. And Peppers et al contained the running game in a big way, putting even more pressure on the passing game. Penalties killed us, and our lack of poise in 3rd down situations was astonishing (4 of 14 or something), which also had to do with the stifling Panther D. The offense wasted a nice day by the defense, holding Delhomme & Co. to some measly yardage, but they also had some stupid penalties to keep Carolina driving. Gross on both sides. :D Would hate to be those guys this week when Belichick gets a hold of them in practice, 'cause it doesn't get any easier next week against PITT.

Overall, a miserable day if you're a Pats fan, but we all knew this would be a tough stretch of the season :understatementoftheyear:. And the Panthers just played great today, especially in light of the Saints loss, after which people were dropping and rolling off the moving, fire-engulfed Super Bowl bandwagon like f'n MacGyver. Well done, Cats. :D

There's not a team in the NFL I want to see lose more than the Pats. I'm a Colts fan and I am one of those that firmly believes that if we could the Pats in the dome, it'd be a different story come playoff time. I mean cripes, the NFL doesn't even schedule the regular season games in Indy.

So ya - thank you Panthers for winning that one. Hopefully it matters in the AFC playoff picture.

There's not a team in the NFL I want to see lose more than the Pats. I'm a Colts fan and I am one of those that firmly believes that if we could the Pats in the dome, it'd be a different story come playoff time. I mean cripes, the NFL doesn't even schedule the regular season games in Indy.

So ya - thank you Panthers for winning that one. Hopefully it matters in the AFC playoff picture.

1001989[/snapback]

And if we'd played the Panthers at the Razor, we might have won. And if the Pats played like the Pats usually do, we would have won. And if the Panthers didn't play like legit Super Bowl contenders, we would have won. IMO, there's no point in playing "if" here, runt. In the NFL, you gotta take care of business no matter where you play, whether it's outdoors in the snow or inside a cushy, temperature-controlled, record-setting QB-friendly dome. :D

Prior to the ALCS and WS title, I used to get soooo sick of my fellow Sox fans complaining about how the big, bad Yankees always had homefield advantage and got to host all the Game 7's...well, if the Sox took care of business during the regular season, they'd be hosting the Yanks. It's that simple. Same goes for the Colts, IMO. Fantastic team, tremendous offensive talent, improved defense, classy coach. This could be the year. But until they take it to that extra level in the regular season and get the tiebreaker/homefield over the Pats, they'll have to keep coming to Foxboro (or Pittsburgh, or wherever).

Agreed,

Tough Game. Congrats to the Cats.

Granted they shot didn't give themselves a chance with all those penalties and mistakes but the D gave it to them.

I had this one as a potential loss. Hopefully they can bounce back next week. I was there for the loss last year. Great stadium but definitely not easy on the visitors. We are going to need to eliminate stupid penalties to have a chance.

And if we'd played the Panthers at the Razor, we might have won. And if the Pats played like the Pats usually do, we would have won. And if the Panthers didn't play like legit Super Bowl contenders, we would have won. IMO, there's no point in playing "if" here, runt. In the NFL, you gotta take care of business no matter where you play, whether it's outdoors in the snow or inside a cushy, temperature-controlled, record-setting QB-friendly dome. :D

Prior to the ALCS and WS title, I used to get soooo sick of my fellow Sox fans complaining about how the big, bad Yankees always had homefield advantage and got to host all the Game 7's...well, if the Sox took care of business during the regular season, they'd be hosting the Yanks. It's that simple. Same goes for the Colts, IMO. Fantastic team, tremendous offensive talent, improved defense, classy coach. This could be the year. But until they take it to that extra level in the regular season and get the tiebreaker/homefield over the Pats, they'll have to keep coming to Foxboro (or Pittsburgh, or wherever).

1002026[/snapback]

I hear you, but what about those regular season games that always seem to end up in Foxboro and that seem to matter in deciding home field in the first place? Seems a bit odd to me that the Pats seem to get those games shceduled at home.

But whatever on that one. The main gist of reply is that I'm hoping this loss helps the Colts' chances of getting home-field in the big picture.

I'm hoping this loss helps the Colts' chances of getting home-field in the big picture.

1002134[/snapback]

This very well might be the year, and if the Colts have homefield throughout they'll be very tough to beat. That said, until they can pull a "Sox finally knocking off the Yankees," the Pats just have their psychological number. Re: Dillon, there hasn't been any speculation far as I know, though the WEEI guys asked Brady about Dillon's sourpuss face against the Raiders two weeks back and he said it was nothing, that Dillon was just mad at himself about not getting as many yards as he thought he should have gotten on one particular carry. Yesterday, I just think he was frustrated that they couldn't get the running game going vs. CAR.

We'll see how it pans out....luckily, there are 14 more games to go.

I hear you, but what about those regular season games that always seem to end up in Foxboro and that seem to matter in deciding home field in the first place? Seems a bit odd to me that the Pats seem to get those games shceduled at home.

But whatever on that one. The main gist of reply is that I'm hoping this loss helps the Colts' chances of getting home-field in the big picture.

1002134[/snapback]

Hold on.....

Since the Colts left the AFC East, here is how it breaks down.

2003 Pats @ Colts - Pats win 38-34. This road win in Indy is the reason the AFC Championship game was at NE agains the Colts.

2004 Colts @ Pats - Pats won, was opening night. Because of that win, the Pats/Colts playoff game was in NE. Any complaints yet?

In 2004, the Pats played at Pittsburgh, and lost, and that's the reason the Pats played the AFC Championship game at Pitt, which the Pats ended up winning.

NE's 2 2005 undetermined opponents were away vs AFC North and home vs. AFC South. Those teams end up being Pitt and Indy, which means the Pats need to go to Pitt again, and Indy needs to come here again.

Stop complaining.

Edited by charty

Gotta say this....Delhomme was trying IMO to give the game away...did you see his int. to Vrabel....he just plain threw it to him...threw 5 yards over the head of his receiver who was 7 yards away from him....incredibly (even though I thought that would put the Pats on the road to winning) the Panthers "D" held up and they ran more after that (way more)...Delhomme has to make a step up and stop making poor decisions before I believe the Panthers are contenders.....like last week vs. Saints....it was the Saints week...this week the Panthers returned the favor to New England....Jake looked very shaky most all the game...and Kolbert can't catch a cold....one thing I will say that hurts the Pats more than anything was special teams and penalties...bet there will be some changes on kickoff and punt coverages this week!!!

Meanwhile Panthers---SALUTE!!!!---Jake Delhomme :D:D:D:D:D

Tough loss and it doesn't get any easier next week heading into ketchup field. I was surprised at Bill's failure to throw the beanie on at least 3 questionable calls that could've gone either way, stupid penalties and the offense just never getting on track. I believe we'll get it together for the haul.

Nice win for the Panthers, congrats!

Just an observation, but Dillon does not look happy right now.  Any concerns about him?

1002124[/snapback]

I would be concerned. Without him, good defenses will really limit the power of Brady and his receivers. They need to get that running game on track, but it won't be pretty against the Steelers this week.

Thanks! I was at the game and I have alot of respect for the Pats (and their fans w/ exception of UT) and I kept waiting for Brady and the offense to make a drive and score another TD to make the game very tight at the end. Fortunately the Rucker hit and Peppers recovery down to the 11 helped us get that 10 pt. cushion where I thought we could nail down the game after another 1st down to run out the clock.

I knew Coach Fox would have the troops ready to go after the egg that we laid last week and I expected the Panthers to come in with much better effort against the World Champs. I would think the Pats will benefit from the loss yesterday and will be ready to take it to the Steelers next week as they are still a very good team despite their performance last week.

I think both these teams will continue to improve and will both make the playoffs this year. :D

It was a great defensive game by the Panthers, and they made enough plays on offense to hand the Pats their heads this week. Hat's off to them.

I have noticed a disturbing trend with Brady the last two weeks. It seems that the Pats offense, mostly in the passing game, have gone away from what worked in the past. I now see Brady taking 5, 6, (7? 9?) step drops before throwing, instead of the quick 3 step drops. It used to be a ball control passing game with high % passes to recievers who would eat up yards after the catch. Now I don't know whats going on. I think the O-line is giving Brady plenty of time in the pocket, but either the wide-outs are not getting open, Brady is only focusing on the primary reciever, or he's being too indecieve(sp?) on who/when to throw the ball.

I do think they'll go back to quick passes, at least early in games, as a way to keep defenses more honest, and to better set up the run. Well, I hope they will. :D

I have noticed a disturbing trend with Brady the last two weeks. It seems that the Pats offense, mostly in the passing game, have gone away from what worked in the past. I now see Brady taking 5, 6, (7? 9?) step drops before throwing, instead of the quick 3 step drops. It used to be a ball control passing game with high % passes to recievers who would eat up yards after the catch. Now I don't know whats going on. I think the O-line is giving Brady plenty of time in the pocket, but either the wide-outs are not getting open, Brady is only focusing on the primary reciever, or he's being too indecieve(sp?) on who/when to throw the ball.

I do think they'll go back to quick passes, at least early in games, as a way to keep defenses more honest, and to better set up the run. Well, I hope they will. :D

1002725[/snapback]

This is where they are missing Charlie Weiss. You could see it last week against the Raiders too. Too many mistakes and indecisiveness. I can see this being a year long problem.

Peppers himself said before the game that Brady's 3-step drops and his incredibly quick release have kept defenders from so much as touching the guy the past few years, and said it's something that he's never seen a team so good at (protecting their QB using methods/tactics other than great OL blocking). And he said he was worried that these quick drops would neutralize even the killer rush of him, Rucker, Morgan & other LBs blitzing, etc....clearly, Peppers had nothing to worry about on Sunday.

And, to Finger's point, I have to say this, too: if this wasn't Belichick on the sidelines -- if it were, say, Tice or Martz or some other coach -- he would be getting skewered for his non-challenges and other calls. Not a banner day for the 8-Mile hood on Sunday. That said, I think we right the ship next week in a dogfight in Heinz next week. One tough day against a darn good team is no reason to suddenly forget that we've won some pretty big games over the past couple years.