[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Curtis Martin

Turf Toe

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...=ny-jets-bigpix

Martin's knee hurting

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

September 20, 2005

Curtis Martin has a right knee injury that required a huge ice pack and caused nervous moments for coach Herman Edwards yesterday, but it is not believed to be serious enough to cause the defending NFL rushing champion to miss significant time.

Martin twice was slow to get up after being hit on his right leg by Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas in the Jets' 17-7 win Sunday. Martin continued to play, although the replay review showed him limping noticeably and grimacing in pain.

The injury and pain would have to be substantial for Martin to miss a game, but Edwards, who called it a strain, listed him as uncertain for Sunday's game against Jacksonville because he did not have the final word from doctors in time for his daily media briefing.

Martin alerted team doctors to soreness in his knee yesterday, Edwards said. He had an MRI, the results of which were not disclosed. However, although the decision on whether Martin will play can't be made until he practices, the team is not overly concerned about his prognosis. That means it is likely that the MRI did not reveal any tears.

"It's going to have to be something pretty tough mentally for him [to miss a game]," Edwards said. "But I'm never going to put the player in harm's way."

Martin has started 109 consecutive regular-season games, the longest active streak for a running back. He hasn't missed a game since Week 6 of the 1998 season.

"It's always been a comfort zone knowing you have 28 behind you," said Chad Pennington, adding he "can't imagine" Martin missing a game.

In 2000, Martin partially tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Week 1 but didn't miss a game. He also tore the muscle away from his tailbone that season in Week 12. He played much of 2002 with severely sprained ankles.

It would be very stupid to play Martin when he is dinged up, especially a knee. Let him take a week off, it's a long season.

1004888[/snapback]

Yeah and tell us before the weekend :D

The Star-Ledger reports: "Curtis Martin, whose knee is swollen, underwent an MRI yesterday. The team fears the injury is serious. Even if the MRI is negative, the Jets are believed to be leaning toward resting Martin with games against physically punishing defenses belonging to the Jaguars, Ravens and Bucs coming up. 'We'll see,' coach Herman Edwards said of Martin's status against the Jags. 'We don't know where he's at.'"

Hard to read between the lines here :D

The Star-Ledger reports: "Curtis Martin, whose knee is swollen, underwent an MRI yesterday. The team fears the injury is serious. Even if the MRI is negative, the Jets are believed to be leaning toward resting Martin with games against physically punishing defenses belonging to the Jaguars, Ravens and Bucs coming up. 'We'll see,' coach Herman Edwards said of Martin's status against the Jags. 'We don't know where he's at.'"

Hard to read between the lines here :D

1005068[/snapback]

I can't recall Curtis Martin ever mentioning an injury without it being serious. The guy played the entire season two years ago with a high ankle sprain. He doesn't raise his hand for an MRI if it isn't serious.

I don't have him on any of my fantasy teams, but if I did I'd be making contingency plans for the next month or so.

I guess this is good news. I have to put in a WW request in the next few hours, and already have to replace Burleson and get a kicker for the bye week. I was considering trying to get Brandon Jacaobs, as the only viable free agent RB. I may still - but trusting injury reports released is as reliable as using tarot cards!

I have the latter and I know how to use them!