[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bettis' days as TD vulture are numbered

msaint

Like other Willie owners, I've been thinking a lot about what effect Bettis (more than Staley, who I think is out of a job, period) will have on our new hero, particularly/obviously at the goalline. And I couldn't help but think the following:

The reason the Bus got so many goalline TD's last year was because 1) Duce couldn't stay healthy and Bettis was the only option in general other than 3rd down Haynes; and 2) Even when Duce was playing, he didn't have the breakaway speed/power combo to get into the end zone, so the Bus just cleaned up the scraps. Willie, however, does possess this speed/power combo. Hence, fewer goalline scraps to clean up for the Bus. This is not to say Bettis won't get his TDS....just fewer of them, and less consistently, than last year.

Steeler homers and everyone else, am I way off here, or might this be a reason for all of us NOT to trade away Willie based solely on "Bus-as-TD vulture" fears?:D

I like your thinking on this one. It appears that if Willie gets a crease from inside the 20, he has the speed/power combo to punch it in and not get dragged down just short of the goallne, where Bettis makes his living.

I've been trying to unload Willie, but after Dillons dismal performance last week, I think I'll hold on to him and send Corey to the bench pending a decent game.

Wow. All the Steeler homers are always chomping at the bit to yak, yak, yak about how much the Pats suck, but ask them a question about their beloved Bus and....nothin :D

:D

1006206[/snapback]

Maybe they're trying on their new avitar. :D

I do think Jerome will vulture some as he did at the start of last year. He is good for 6-8 carries a game I elieve.

I don't think Willie needs the help, but that is not the issue. Cowher doesn't want to scatch the paint on his new toy and knows he is up the creek if Willie gets hurt. (I am one that believes it takes talent to run behind even a great line like the Steel Curtain.) If the Bus retires, you will still see Verron Hayes or someone else coming in to punch it in from time to time. No big deal.

Like other Willie owners, I've been thinking a lot about what effect Bettis (more than Staley, who I think is out of a job, period) will have on our new hero, particularly/obviously at the goalline. And I couldn't help but think the following:

The reason the Bus got so many goalline TD's last year was because 1) Duce couldn't stay healthy and Bettis was the only option in general other than 3rd down Haynes; and 2) Even when Duce was playing, he didn't have the breakaway speed/power combo to get into the end zone, so the Bus just cleaned up the scraps. Willie, however, does possess this speed/power combo. Hence, fewer goalline scraps to clean up for the Bus. This is not to say Bettis won't get his TDS....just fewer of them, and less consistently, than last year.

Steeler homers and everyone else, am I way off here, or might this be a reason for all of us NOT to trade away Willie based solely on "Bus-as-TD vulture" fears?:D

1005507[/snapback]

I think your analysis could end up being very accurate. I think that Bettis will still get the goal line carries when healthy. He still has the ability to push defenders back a couple of yards. I do agree with you in that with Parker in the line up there will be fewer goal line attempts for Bettis than there were one year ago for all the reasons you stated above.

Good Post as usual msaint.

Oh yeah, I haven't talked any trash on the Pats. The second I start to talk trash the Steelers wil be jinxed. That's usually what happens if I do. The last time I got caught up in that was the AFC Championship game last year. So I will just keep my mout shut when it comes to talking about the Pats. :D

I've liked Willie right from the start this year. Starting the season as one of the NFL's best rushing teams #1 back... Staley sucks...Bettis will have some impact,...I think Willie MAY have keeper potential.

1006559[/snapback]

I agree with you about Willie, but how does Staley suck ? He was more than solid when healthy last year, his problem has been that he is injury-prone, but when he plays, he is still very good.

Wow. All the Steeler homers are always chomping at the bit to yak, yak, yak about how much the Pats suck, but ask them a question about their beloved Bus and....nothin :D

:D

1006206[/snapback]

O.k. 1st, as much Steeler bragging as I do, I do very little ripping on the Pats. I respect them. They are the champs and the team to beat until they are un-seated. As for Parker, I think you can hold onto him with confidence. Staley will take over Haynes current role, which is 3rd downs and change of pace back. Bettis will be the goal-line back, but that will only affect Parker on times when the Steelers are on the 1 or 2 yard line. Parker is the real deal, and is a very good # 2 RB in fantasy football and will remain that way all season in my humble opinion.

I agree 100%, MSaint. Bettis is great to have on your team when you try to plunge from the 1 and it would be silly not to have him do it. I think if we looked back at last year he was something like 5-4-5 at one point. That is 5 carries for 4 yards and 5 touchdowns. He wasn't coming in there on the seven yard line so I'm not as concerned about Bettis as a lot of people may be.