[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Hoops

KevinL

OK so here's what we have so far:

Head to head league at Yahoo!

12 man roster, 2 IR spots, 8 starters (PG, SG, SF, PF, C, G, F, Ut)

Limit to 40 pick-ups per season.

9 categories: (FG %, FT %, 3 Point Made, Points, Assists, Steals, Blocks) and either (O Reb, D Reb) or (Reb, TO)

$25 fee, 3rd gets their $25 back, remaining pot is split (50% - playoff champ, 25% - 2nd, 25% season champ)

Slow message board draft

12 teams max

1) KevinL (R & TO)

2) Darin3 (OR & DR)

3) Sgt Ryan (OR & DR)

4) chiefjay (R & TO)

5) theohiostate (R & TO)

? Seminoles

? Big Country

Opening night is Tuesday November 19. We should start drafting by October 17. That would give us 2 weeks to finish the draft. We can start sooner if we get a full league and people are ready.

Reserve your spot by posting here. Also vote if you prefer Rebounds & Turnovers, or Offensive Rebounds & Defensive Rebounds. When we have a full league, PM me for my paypal / payment info.

OK so here's what we have so far:

Head to head league at Yahoo!

12 man roster, 2 IR spots, 8 starters (PG, SG, SF, PF, C, G, F, Ut)

Limit to 40 pick-ups per season.

9 categories:  (FG %, FT %, 3 Point Made, Points, Assists, Steals, Blocks) and either (O Reb, D Reb) or (Reb, TO)

$25 fee, 3rd gets their $25 back, remaining pot is split (50% - playoff champ, 25% - 2nd, 25% season champ)

Slow message board draft

12 teams max

1) KevinL (R & TO)

2) Darin3 (OR & DR)

3) Sgt Ryan (OR & DR)

4) chiefjay (R & TO)

5) theohiostate (R & TO)

? Seminoles

? Big Country

Opening night is Tuesday November 19.  We should start drafting by October 17.  That would give us 2 weeks to finish the draft.  We can start sooner if we get a full league and people are ready.

Reserve your spot by posting here.  Also vote if you prefer Rebounds & Turnovers, or Offensive Rebounds & Defensive Rebounds.  When we have a full league, PM me for my paypal / payment info.

1007688[/snapback]

As noted above, I'm in. However, I STRONGLY disagree with the 40-move max. Part of the fun with H2H hoops (not to toot my own horn, but I've been doing fantasy hoops even longer than fantasy football - 12 years) is making a couple of roster moves every day to field full lineups, especially towards the end of the season. There should, however, be a cap on GAMES played in a week (40).

ESPN's rules are pretty straightforward and solid: http://games.espn.go.com/content/fba/2005/...page=h2hscoring

I will still play if we're only alotted 40 moves during the season, but honestly, I can say from experience it won't be as fun or rewarding.

As noted above, I'm in.  However, I STRONGLY disagree with the 40-move max.  Part of the fun with H2H hoops (not to toot my own horn, but I've been doing fantasy hoops even longer than fantasy football - 12 years) is making a couple of roster moves every day to field full lineups, especially towards the end of the season.  There should, however, be a cap on GAMES played in a week (40).

ESPN's rules are pretty straightforward and solid:  http://games.espn.go.com/content/fba/2005/...page=h2hscoring

I will still play if we're only alotted 40 moves during the season, but honestly, I can say from experience it won't be as fun or rewarding.

1008118[/snapback]

We can change this if people want. Unlimited moves gives a slight advantage to those people who stay up past 3AM EST (Midnight Pacific) as that is when Yahoo! freezes the daily lineup and that is first choice to pick up more FA guys for the next week.

Would you cap games/week at 40 or games/week/position at 5? (If this is even possible).

We can change this if people want.  Unlimited moves gives a slight advantage to those people who stay up past 3AM EST (Midnight Pacific) as that is when Yahoo! freezes the daily lineup and that is first choice to pick up more FA guys for the next week.

Would you cap games/week at 40 or games/week/position at 5?  (If this is even possible).

1008152[/snapback]

Ah I see what you're saying. Yahoo's rules are slightly different. For ESPN, it locks the lineup earlier.

Also, are we planning on doing a weekly league? That is, we have to set our lineup for the entire week starting Sunday? I'd prefer a daily move league.

:D I'm down for whatever... as I'll probably do an ESPN league as well.

Edited to add: I'd just do the 40-game limit like ESPN suggests.

Edited by darin3

Ah I see what you're saying.  Yahoo's rules are slightly different.  For ESPN, it locks the lineup earlier.

Also, are we planning on doing a weekly league?  That is, we have to set our lineup for the entire week starting Sunday?  I'd prefer a daily move league. 

:D  I'm down for whatever... as I'll probably do an ESPN league as well.

Edited to add: I'd just do the 40-game limit like ESPN suggests.

1008182[/snapback]

I was thinking daily not weekly. Not sure why I typed next week.

40 games total per player or position?

1008880[/snapback]

2 different 40 numbers / proposals being tossed around.

1) Each week, each owner can start a maximum of 40 player/games, spread over 8 positions.

2) For the entire season, each owner can only add 40 players. This includes replacing IR guys, replacing guys you drop. It does NOT include trades, trades would be unlimited up to the deadline.

I think we agree on #1. Number 2 is supported by some (me, Sarge) but Darin & cj support unlimited pick-ups.

2 different 40 numbers / proposals being tossed around.

1)  Each week, each owner can start a maximum of 40 player/games, spread over 8 positions.

2)  For the entire season, each owner can only add 40 players.  This includes replacing IR guys, replacing guys you drop.  It does NOT include trades, trades would be unlimited up to the deadline.

I think we agree on #1.  Number 2 is supported by some (me, Sarge) but Darin & cj support unlimited pick-ups.

1008901[/snapback]

Re: #2...

I've had this happen MANY times. Owner "X" is a good fantasy owner. He responds to trades, keeps updated on the goings-on in the NBA and in the fantasy league. Say he runs into a rash of injuries, uses up his 40 moves with several months left in the season, and starts to see his team decline... even the best of fantasy owners will lose interest. Having unlimited moves allows teams (ALL teams, if it's a good league) to be "in it" right up until the end.

I agree with the other side of the fence though... it makes you think about moves, and there's some strategy involved. But this is supposed to be the closest thing to actually owning/operating a professional sports team, right? Well, they're not limited as to how many moves they can make, why should we?

If we ARE going to put a cap on number of moves, I would say it has to be a much, much higher number. Say 3 moves times number of weeks in the season.

40 moves, in fantasy hoops, is going to go real, real fast. Trust me.

If we ARE going to put a cap on number of moves, I would say it has to be a much, much higher number.  Say 3 moves times number of weeks in the season. 

40 moves, in fantasy hoops, is going to go real, real fast.  Trust me.

1008922[/snapback]

40 is the highest maximum for Yahoo! if you put a limit on it.

Re:  #2...

I've had this happen MANY times.  Owner "X" is a good fantasy owner.  He responds to trades, keeps updated on the goings-on in the NBA and in the fantasy league.  Say he runs into a rash of injuries, uses up his 40 moves with several months left in the season, and starts to see his team decline... even the best of fantasy owners will lose interest.  Having unlimited moves allows teams (ALL teams, if it's a good league) to be "in it" right up until the end. 

1008922[/snapback]

And another thing, comparing it to baseball, none of the guys in HOTD that used their 40 moves gave up interest.

The only guys that gave up interest used 10 moves or less all season. It had nothing to do with them using up their moves.

And another thing, comparing it to baseball, none of the guys in HOTD that used their 40 moves gave up interest.

The only guys that gave up interest used 10 moves or less all season.  It had nothing to do with them using up their moves.

1008964[/snapback]

Honestly, hoops and baseball are sooooo different, fantasy-wise. It's so easy to go on a run where a guy gets a ton of threes, where you make up for a category in no time, and need to audition other guys that get different stats. Hard to explain. In a nutshell, it's easier to "wait things out" in baseball, where in hoops, you really need to make snap decisions. Probably why fantasy basketball isn't as popular... it's really alot like football in that you need to keep on top of injuries, who's hot, etc. Only difference is you have to keep on top of it every day of the week... whereas with football is just a couple days a week.

:D I guess I'm not gonna change anyone's mind on this - just trying to detail my experiences with H2H fantasy hoops.

If it's 40 moves max, so be it, I'll play with whatever rules we come up with. But yeah, I'd much prefer unlimited moves.

1) KevinL (R & TO) (40 moves)

2) Darin3 (OR & DR) (unlimited)

3) Sgt Ryan (OR & DR) (unlimited)

4) chiefjay (R & TO)

5) theohiostate (R & TO) (40 moves)

6) Jumpin Johnies

? Seminoles

? Big Country

If you haven't voted for the category or the number of moves allowed, please vote.

1008972[/snapback]

Mark me down as a vote for the unlimited transactions as my earlier post acknowledged i'd agreed with Darin3.

1) KevinL (R & TO) (40 moves)

2) Darin3 (OR & DR) (unlimited)

3) Sgt Ryan (OR & DR) (40 moves)

4) chiefjay (R & TO)

5) theohiostate (R & TO) (unlimited)

6) Jumpin Johnies

? Seminoles

? Big Country

1010481[/snapback]

Unlimited moves for me.

A compromise that may work for those who like to have more players in their lineup would be to increase the rosters to 15 with 3 IR spots.  This would allow everyone to start more guys each week, and  the extra IR spot would allow you to save up to 3 players from the wavier wire, while adding someone to your active roster in said players down time.

1011048[/snapback]

This sounds good to me.

Actually I have no problem either way. I know Darin said 40 moves goes quick but I know I didn't use 40 moves all year, not really that dedicated to rotate marginal player after marginal player and did not want to danger releasing a player I wanted for the long haul. We could do the 40 game per week max, that's nearly impossible to get to unless you are trying to maximize players daily.

The only reason I drop players is because they suck or because there's a better option on WW at that point, at least in my eyes.

I guess I didn't understand the scenario previous about moves.

Count me out if its unlimited moves as I am not going to stay up till 2 AM my time to make sure I rotate the last 3 guys on my bench every day to have a full lineup each day, just be able to compete with those on the west coast who are up at midnight and cherry pick the best FA for the next days games, every single night.

Some guys even pick up guys they dont want first, and then drop them if there is a limited # of games on any given day, and then get who they really want locking the player they dropped in the first place due to waiver rules.  This is not what basketball is all about and its preciesely why in baseball we had a 40 move maximum. 

I ran into this very thing in my local league last yr and its completely sucked.  The average owner will not use all 40 moves in basketball, unless he is trying to just play a full lineup every single night.  Its basically who can get who first to fill up the stat sheets

This isnt taking my ball and going home if I dont get my way on this, Ive just been burned in the past on 2 seperate occasions by buddies that live on the west coast who are up at midnight their time, 2 am my time to cherry pick the waiver wire each night, while the rest of us are sleeping.  The advantage is overwhelming to those who get the best players on the wire each night for the next days game, compared to those who get whats left, or nothing at all.

1010987[/snapback]

:D

But if you have a 40-game weekly max, people wouldn't DO this!

A compromise that may work for those who like to have more players in their lineup would be to increase the rosters to 15 with 3 IR spots.  This would allow everyone to start more guys each week, and  the extra IR spot would allow you to save up to 3 players from the wavier wire, while adding someone to your active roster in said players down time.

1011048[/snapback]

That'd be fine.

Actually I have no problem either way.  I know Darin said 40 moves goes quick but I know I didn't use 40 moves all year, not really that dedicated to rotate marginal player after marginal player and did not want to danger releasing a player I wanted for the long haul.  We could do the 40 game per week max, that's nearly impossible to get to unless you are trying to maximize players daily.

The only reason I drop players is because they suck or because there's a better option on WW at that point, at least in my eyes.

I guess I didn't understand the scenario previous about moves.

1011064[/snapback]

I like rotating marginal player for marginal player. Often times, they pan out and really help my team. Works in baseball, too.

And 40 games will go faster than you think.

Even if its 40 games,  you can still salt players to the waiver wire at 2 am, and leave the guys you want to pick up last for yourself on short days.  Plus you have the advantage of cherry picking the waiver wire at midnight your time, 2 am and 3 am for the rest of us.  I still see it as a sizable advantage, where a 40 cap will prevent that.  Ive never used 40 before and won leagues 2 of the last 3 years.  In fact last yr, only 1 person hit 40 in our 12 player league and we were quite competitive.

40 player moves adds strategy to the league and makes you think twice about what you do in December, as it may hurt you in April.

1015084[/snapback]

:D I guess... Like I said, I'm fine with whatever. I just prefer fantasy basketball leagues to have no caps. Make the roster size larger, with 3 IR spots. That'd mitigate any and all "cherry picking".