[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Advice" and "Advise"

Ralph Furley

Yes, this is petty, and stupid, but "adviSe" and "adviCe" are different. You can't look for advise on the fantasy board. You can look for advice, but you can't look for advise. However, you can advise someone, but you can't advice someone. Some of these kids running around here need to pay more attention in their junior high classes. Don't mean to rant, but seriously, look at what you're writing once in awhile. It's driving me nuts. Perhaps I'm just bitter after falling to 0-2 in my main league. :D

For those confused:

Advice:

1 : recommendation regarding a decision or course of conduct : COUNSEL <he shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties -- U.S. Constitution>

2 : information or notice given -- usually used in plural

3 : an official notice concerning a business transaction

Advise:

1 a : to give advice to : COUNSEL <advise her to try a drier climate> b : CAUTION, WARN <advise them of the consequences> c : RECOMMEND <advise prudence>

2 : to give information or notice to : INFORM <advise them of their rights>

intransitive senses

1 : to give advice <advise on legal matters>

2 : to take counsel : CONSULT

- ad·vis·er also ad·vi·sor /-'vI-z&r/ noun

Have a nice day! :D

Edited by Ralph Furley

"Don't mean to rant, but seriously, look at what your writing once in awhile"

So, would you like me to explain to you the difference between "your" and "you're"?

1010123[/snapback]

:doah: I'm an idiot. The advice/advise thing just bothers me for some reason.

When I saw this topic, "FF advise but nodody gives me advise", I felt a calling to help those in need.

Edited by Ralph Furley

Maybe it's a Kentucky thing (I live in Northern Kentucky) or just a redneck thing, but many around here say ideal instead of idea.

For example: "I have a great ideal."

And get this...here in Ludlow, Ky where I work, there is a hardware store called Ideal Supply.

A guy that works for me actually said..."Do they have mulch at Idea Supply?", yet he also says, "hey, that's a good ideal." :D

Now let's look at the proper usage of these words.

Having Manning and Tomlinson would be the IDEAL situation for any fantasy owner.

Starting Manning and Tomlinson is a good IDEA for any fantasy owner.

Maybe it's a Kentucky thing (I live in Northern Kentucky) or just a redneck thing, but many around here say ideal instead of idea.

1010152[/snapback]

Ya'll, I reckon each and every post would look betta in mah native Southern anyways.

What part of Kentucky? I go to Bowling Green every year. Awesome place. :D

Edited by TimC

Ya'll, I reckon each and every post would look betta in mah native Southern anyways.

What part of Kentucky?  I go to Bowling Green every year.  Awesome place.  :D

1010844[/snapback]

I live in Florence, just about 15 minutes South of Cincinnati. Bowling Green is about 2.5 hours from here. I've never partied there, but have in Louisville many times.

For example:  "I have a great ideal."

1010152[/snapback]

I thought they said 'I have a great ideer' :dunno: