[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cardinals interested in trade for Vikings' Bennett

Fantasy Jesus

Running back Michael Bennett resumed his role as the Vikings' nominal starting running back Wednesday, but his long-term future with the organization remains unclear.

Bennett's name once again has emerged in trade rumors, and a person with knowledge of the situation said the Vikings held cursory discussions this week with the Arizona Cardinals -- whose coach, Dennis Green, selected Bennett in the first round of the 2001 draft.

In-season NFL trades are rare, and no deal appeared imminent Wednesday. The league's trading deadline is Oct. 18.

But the Cardinals have pursued Bennett periodically since Green arrived last season, most recently before the April 2005 draft. Bennett is in the final year of his rookie contract and will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Meanwhile, Bennett was working with the Vikings' first-team offense Wednesday during the portion of practice open to the media. Mewelde Moore, who replaced Bennett after he fumbled twice in the Vikings' 38-7 loss to Cincinnati, also saw time with the first team.

Bennett expressed frustration with what he considered a quick hook, but coach Mike Tice said: "I haven't lost any confidence in Mike because he had a couple of fumbles." Bennett said he cleared his head during a fishing expedition earlier this week.

"I'm definitely happy [Tice's] confidence is still there," Bennett said. "I'm not going to lose any confidence in myself and my abilities."

Two listed as doubtful

The Vikings listed receiver Nate Burleson (left knee sprain) and linebacker E.J. Henderson (right ankle sprain) as doubtful on their injury report. Neither player practiced Wednesday.

Burleson is not expected to play Sunday, and his status for next week's game at Atlanta is unclear as well. Henderson seems to have a slight chance to play but would be replaced by Dontarrious Thomas if he cannot.

Middle linebacker Sam Cowart (strained left calf) participated in a portion of practice and is expected to return to the lineup. Cowart, safety Darren Sharper (left knee sprain) and defensive end Kenechi Udeze (right calf strain) are listed as probable.

Meanwhile, quarterback Daunte Culpepper said his right knee is "just about 100 percent." Culpepper has been playing this season with an unspecified injury that has caused periodic swelling, athletic trainer Chuck Barta said.

"It feels the best it has felt in about two or three weeks," Culpepper said.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid season trades are rare but wasn't Jerry Rice traded last year during the season? Anybody know of anyone else that's been traded during the season recently?

1010649[/snapback]

Last year we saw Rice, McCardell & McKenzie all being traded during the regular season.

I guess the biggest loser IF this deal goes through has to be JJ Arrington. And to think a lot of people took him in the 3rd round.

Ouch.

1010926[/snapback]

Yeah... but a lot of assumptions still... Bennet could wind up sharing in Ari too...with Shipp AND JJ around... but the rook probably falls to the bench if this happened.

Yeah... but a lot of assumptions still... Bennet could wind up sharing in Ari too...with Shipp AND JJ around... but the rook probably falls to the bench if this happened.

1010935[/snapback]

True.

I don't think it would clear up the mess in the Minnesota backfield either. Who would start if Bennett is traded. Moore? Williams? Fason?

I think the only way we'll know who starts at RB for MINN is if they trade Bennett AND Tice.

Oh I think Mewelde's value goes WAY up if Bennet is gone. Moe may still goal line vulture, but MM would suddenly get upwards of 20 carries a game and he can do a lot of damage with that. IF Bennet was given the clear #1 in Ari he could have a value bump as well... we'll just have to wait and see...

If Bennett goes to Ari I could see him starting immediately. Green has always liked Bennett and he's a good match for the type of rb they want, the fast kind. Geen even selected Arrington and said he reminded him of Bennett.

Remember Arrington was a 2nd round pick and plenty of 2nd round rb's end up as back ups. He's no Cedric Benson where the # he is selected and the contract given demands that he starts...

i think the cardinals would be interested in any rb who could rush for more than 2 yards a carry.  travis henry would have been good for them.

1010674[/snapback]

Before everyone gets all excited... remember that it's still the O-line that's causing most of Arizona's rushing problems. Doesn't matter who they get running back there... until the line can block for ANY running back there won't be much success.

Kinda the same in Viking land Kung-fu Midgets. Until their O'line gets sorted out, the running game will suffer....no matter who is toting the rock. But, all things being equal, IF Tice commits to just 1 RB and IF Tice decides Moore is that 1 RB, the Viking run game will be better.

However we're talking about Meathead here. :D

I expect him to continue doing as he has done. Can't decide on just 1 RB, so Fason will now get the touches Bennett used to get. The Viking run game stays discombobulated and will continue to suck not only for Fantasy purposes, but in the real NFL world as well.

Before everyone gets all excited... remember that it's still the O-line that's causing most of Arizona's rushing problems. Doesn't matter who they get running back there... until the line can block for ANY running back there won't be much success.

1011000[/snapback]

I'm not excited for Bennett to Arizona for his numbers, I'm excited for him leaving so I can get some solid numbers from Mewelde.

1011000[/snapback]

That's true, but their starting center didn't play in game 1 vs a solid Giant run defense... week 2 was better... again, 'wait and see' mode...