[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tough one: McCown or Delhomme?

Crazysight

I picked wrong last week and it cost me a win. McCown went off but he was on my bench, and I lost by only a few points. Now the two QBs face off against each other.

I'm leaning towards McCown this week.

McCown:

Pros: Has two great starting receivers to throw to, along with a decent third receiver. AZ has spread the ball around a lot all year.

Decent offensive line.

Is mobile (my league gives decent points for rushing yards).

Is playing at home.

Went off last week against SF.

Is playing against a somewhat banged up Carolina secondary.

Has a bye to look forward to the following week.

Cons: Is less proven than Jake.

Faces a much tougher D and pass rush this week.

Not as good of a running game to help move the chains.

Jake:

Pros: More proven than Josh.

Is facing a defense that is probably not as good as Carolina's, though it has some good young players too.

AZs secondary is banged up too, though it also was last week against SF.

Has Steve Smith, and I'm not sure anyone in AZs banged up secondary can stay with him short of a double-coverage.

A better running game to move the chains.

Cons: Not a QB whose likely to get high points.

Steve Smith is essentially the only receiver he's successfully thrown to all year.

Won't get any rushing yardage himself.

If I forgot any other factors please bring them to my attention. It seems to me that Josh has a better chance to get huge numbers, but jake is the more steady and conservative choice.

This is a crucial game for me this week as I'm the 9th team in a 12 team league right now. My record is 2-2 but my point total is lower than the other 500 teams so far. It doesn't look to be easy for me this week either when I look at the matchup I have against the team I'm playin, so I'm really hoping to get the right players in there this week.

Edited by Crazysight

Well I'll probably take anything in a high scoring shootout!  :D  Hope it ends up being one.

1054022[/snapback]

Think I'm liking McCown, though it seems like more of a gamble. I don't like the fact that Smith is the only guy Jake has successfully thrown to. If he got injured Jake would probably have nobody to throw to, and if AZ can just blanket cover him effectively it should bring down Jakes numbers. AZ may even be able to bottle up Carolina's running game if it uses Adrian Wilson effectively in run support.

Go with the safe play and start Jake.Don't forget he threw two TD's to tight ends last week.Mccown is no Brett Favre so don't get caught in that trap thinking he will put up even close to those type of numbers.San Fran's defense is absolutely pitiful.They have given up way over 1000 yards passing in 4 games thus far.I bet Brooks Bollinger could throw for 250 and 2 TD's vs. the 49'ers :D I did the same thing with Mcown last year after he had a big game and got toasted.

And yes I'm aware that he threw 2 TDs to tight ends last week, but there's something to be said for simply being able to move the ball and distribute it around too. Look at the reception yardage of Carolina's top receivers. There is Smith with 350, Foster with over 100 and then there is nobody else who is even close to 100 yards total. If you look at AZ you'll see several players who have over 100 yards receiving, including 2 who have over 350 themselves.

Like I said, tough call. I may reverse and go with Delhomme. Like I said it will probably end up being a last minute decision.

I'm thinking Josh. The scoring system in our league is what is making me think that way. His numbers could really only be hurt if he threw a number of picks without any TDs or good passing yardage, since fumbles dont count against qbs in my league. I don't see him throwing a lot of picks simply because he has such good receivers that will probably battle for any ball. Plus rushing yardage gets you a decent amount. TDs themselves dont even get you too much if you throw them...only 4 points (though 6 if you rush for one). Passing yardage seems to get the most points for a QB, so I think josh is probably going to be best in my situation.

I also have Brunell against denver but I'm not considering him.

I think Delhomme could also be seen as a risky pick because if he loses smith he's basically down to nothing. If AZ loses 1 of its top receivers it still has the other one plus Charles Lee and Bryant Johnson.