[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anaheim @ Chicago

I Like Soup

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a silver lining in the terrible call, it's that Cubs fans are going to be even more pissed off than Angels fans.

1064156[/snapback]

:D "Hey, sCrub fans, this is what a team of destiny looks like!"

EDIT - to be completely honest, that's the bulk of the reason I'm sitting near the back of the Sox bandwagon; anything that pisses off those twats in Wrigley Field is worth cheering for in my book

Edited by Chavez

what a sad way to have the game end, but we will gladly take it. what shouldn't get lost is what an outstanding game it was from a pitching perspective. as sox fans, we should be worried about escobar. besides the hit to crede, he has had our number. buerhle pitched a whale of a game. the game really shouldn't have gone to the bottom of the ninth. cora was an idiot for sending him at that point. i hope our overagressiveness on the paths doesn't come back to hurt us in later games. you just can't keep making those kind of mistakes against a caliber team like the angels. mike sciosa is a class act. after the game, he put no blame on the umpires saying they(the angels) played bad.

Kruk had an interesring take on it, backed by the replay: you always play the play out without question.

Pierznyski as a catcher is always used to hearing the 'you're out' call from the ump when a K occurs. He did NOT, otherwise he wouldn't have taken off. The OUT signal was for the strikeout but because the ump thought the ball hit the ground he gave the signal and not the call which is SOP for a dropped 3rd strike. 3rd string catcher jumps to the conclusion that the ump thought he made the catch. His error. In the replay the ball looks like it's always in the glove, but also clearly bounces up off the ground but probably with leather underneath it. The ump made his call and the cathcher wasn't paying attention. If seen questionable 3rd strikes dropped before and the whole dance of running to 1st and throwing the guy out happens.

Fact is, the catcher snoozed and if he hadn't then Pierznyski would've been out by a mile.

too bad this call is taking away the credibility of the win.

1064623[/snapback]

I like what Mike Scioscia said after the game. He rightfully ripped the ump for the terrible job that he did, but then went on to say that too much emphasis was being put on that one play and that his team didn't do enough to win the game. The Sox certainly did get a gift, but the ump didn't allow Ozuna to steal second and then throw the horrible pitch that Crede ripped off the left-field wall. After beating themselves with stupid base-running earlier in the game, the Sox finally capitalized on someone else's mistake and won the game.

Bad call or not, Josh Paul was an idiot for not tagging A.J. on a borderline ball-in-the-dirt third strike. I mean, he had tossed the ball back to the mound and was on his way to the dugout and didn't even look back to see the ump give the "strike three" signal, much less stick around to listen to the call. A smart catcher makes the tag, even if he knows the ball didn't touch the ground.

What a great series this has become. Not much offense, but stellar pitching on both sides. Buehrle was off-the-hook good last night. Not quite as good as his 12-K complete game shutout against Seattle earlier this year, but still dominant in a more meaningful game. Hats off to Washburn pitching through strep throat and Lackey, who will be going for the second time in a row on three days' rest. That Angels bullpen has been incredible as well.

Can't wait for Friday night! :D

Bad call or not, Josh Paul was an idiot for not tagging A.J. on a borderline ball-in-the-dirt third strike.  I mean, he had tossed the ball back to the mound and was on his way to the dugout and didn't even look back to see the ump give the "strike three" signal, much less stick around to listen to the call.  A smart catcher makes the tag, even if he knows the ball didn't touch the ground.

1064977[/snapback]

You are dead on, and what makes baseball so great is that this happens with a catcher batting which makes him extra aware of strikeout procedure in the game. You gotta love the coincidence!

The Boston Red Sox have actors Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner as fans. The Cubs count Bill Murray and Billy Corgan in their ranks.

But at Sox Park, there are virtually no celebrities around, except for Mayor Daley and former Sox minor leaguer (and Bulls great) Michael Jordan.

"We don't need celebrities here," Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said before Tuesday's game. "We have real fans."

Reinsdorf is almost militant in that belief. When actor John Cusack reportedly inquired about getting tickets recently, Reinsdorf rejected him. He still remembers when Cusack -- who starred in "Eight Men Out'' about the 1919 "Black Sox'' who threw the World Series -- became the world's biggest Cubs fan during the North Siders' 2003 playoff run.

"Cusack used to be a White Sox fan," Reinsdorf said, recalling Cusack coming to the Sox 2000 playoffs. "He showed his true colors. Now that we won, someone on his behalf called my office. I wouldn't give them to him."

"We don't need celebrities here," Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said before Tuesday's game. "We have real fans."

Reinsdorf is almost militant in that belief. When actor John Cusack reportedly inquired about getting tickets recently, Reinsdorf rejected him. He still remembers when Cusack -- who starred in "Eight Men Out'' about the 1919 "Black Sox'' who threw the World Series -- became the world's biggest Cubs fan during the North Siders' 2003 playoff run.

"Cusack used to be a White Sox fan," Reinsdorf said, recalling Cusack coming to the Sox 2000 playoffs. "He showed his true colors. Now that we won, someone on his behalf called my office. I wouldn't give them to him."

1065074[/snapback]

:D

Cusack can stay on the North Side with the rest of the Hollywood weenies. Hats off to JR for keepin' it real.

FAIR WEATHERED FANS!! Where were all these "FANS" during the season??? It's pretty pathetic how all these fans show up in late Sept. :D

I agree it was a BAD call, but Buerhle pitched great, as did the Angels pitchers. It's a shame it had to come down to a call like that being one of the deciding factors in a game. There's no saying the Sox wouldn't have won that game eventually, it just shouldn't have been in the 9th.

Overall, 2 great games to watch. Evenly matched. The Sox struggles on the left coast in the past may come into play, but it's the playoffs, and as we all know... ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs. Just like last night.

FAIR WEATHERED FANS!! Where were all these "FANS" during the season??? It's pretty pathetic how all these fans show up in late Sept.  :D

1065233[/snapback]

Who u calling fair weather?

I go to 15-20 sox games a year; I have to deal with 66% of the city giving me crap all year long.

So don’t go there. I have been flying my sox flag all playoffs long, I own shirts that say cuck the fubs, or one with the cubs logo that says curse.......

But about the fair weather fans, I hate all the cubs’ fans who were giving a hard time to sox fans and now since our team is in the playoffs the cub fans are like im a Chicago fan i want then to win. Well there is no room for you cub fans.

But I don’t mind the cub fans that enjoy baseball and are respectful to sox fans rooting for the white sox.

I'm a Cubs fan and don't like the Sox but primarily because I don't like the AL DHversion of the game.

Besides the city series I see no reason for either side to openly root against the other, especially given the context that is Chicago baseball.

Cuck the fubs? If you wear that on any other day than the six they play each other than you are a Sox fan that is just like the Cubs fans you just described, keep that in mind.

I'm calling the "other" 20,00 fans that all of a sudden showed up in Sept. FAIR WEATHERED! I know there are alot of great Sox fans, as I'm sure you are. But even you have to admit that these "fans" that are all of a sudden coming out of the woodwork is a little disturbing. I have friends that are Sox fans that share my view on this. I grew up in Burbank Il. SW side of Chicago. I grew up a Cubs fan, still am! Win or lose, as I'm sure you are for the Sox. They have had a great year. Kudos to that. But I do have a hard time rooting for the Sox, I just can't. As you may have done in 2003 for the Marlins. I live now in Crystal Lake, which is primarily a "Cubs" town. It seems as if all year Sox fans were more focused on the Cubs losing than the Sox winning. That's how it was by me, don't know if it was the same everywhere else, but that's what was by me.

I'm a baseball fan, the last 2 games were great, a blown call by an ump is one thing, but bottom line is that pitching in this series has been fantastic. Every play is magnified in the playoffs, if the Sox would have lost by 1 run last night, would we be talking about Cora sending Rowand home and getting tagged out at the plate? Maybe. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series to see how it plays out. Yes I'm a Cubs fan, and yes I hate the Sox. But you have to give credit when it's due, they have played some great baseball these past 2 weeks, it's just a shame that the "fans" weren't there all year. You and other real fans aside, the stadium was half full most or all of the year, you have to at least agree with me there.

Good luck, in FF and with the Sox.

I'm a Cubs fan and don't like the Sox but primarily because I don't like the AL DHversion of the game.

1065425[/snapback]

well this year the sox have been playing AL style ball

Cuck the fubs? If you wear that on any other day than the six they play each other than you are a Sox fan that is just like the Cubs fans you just described, keep that in mind.

1065425[/snapback]

Sometimes i wear a sox jersey when the sox are not playing what does that mean.....

Anyway I own these kinds of shirts because its a fun rivalry, IMO i think its the best rivalry in Chicago. When I'm at the local bar I get a lot of shucks from cub fans. There have been many times I was wearing only sox gear not cub hater gear. And I hear stuff like "I feel sorry for you" and "oh you like minor league baseball". After years of hearing this kind of stuff I get joy from a cub loss (sorry if this seams immature).

If the cubs make it to the playoffs I won’t root against them but I wont root for them. Because I know that there are cub fan that love the game, and don’t go to Wrigley to get drunk and party but to watch a ball game.

And I think it’s stupid when cub fans say sox fans would rather see the cubs lose then the sox win.

I grew up a Cubs fan, still am! Win or lose, as I'm sure you are for the Sox. But I do have a hard time rooting for the Sox, I just can't.

Good luck, in FF and with the Sox.

1065452[/snapback]

:D I have a lot of respect for fans like you, and you are making it hard for me to root against the cubs, but the othe 75% of the cub base makes it easy to root aginst.

And I think it’s stupid when cub fans say sox fans would rather see the cubs lose then the sox win.

1065471[/snapback]

Well, when you say this:

I have been flying my sox flag all playoffs long, I own shirts that say cuck the fubs, or one with the cubs logo that says curse.......

Then it's clear you measure your love of the Sox with your hatred of the Cubs. So, it's not stupid because that's the appearance you give. Do you have any anti-Indian, Twin or Tiger gear?

i've been a fan since my first game back in 71 at the ripe age of 6. i remember going to a SCHEDULED twi-night double header. they don't even schedule regular double headers anymore, only rain outs. some sox fans are finnicky though and pretty fair weathered. the team never gets the attendance support the cubs get. part of that is location.

i was getting a sick feeling in my stomach last night remembering britt burns going nine strong only to lose in the tenth. no one was warming up in the sox pen and buerhle was set to go out and pitch the tenth. then the miracle happened. i was pissed at pierzinski(sp) for swinging at that pitch in the first place. escobar got alot of the hitters to swing at bad low pitches.

FAIR WEATHERED FANS!! Where were all these "FANS" during the season??? It's pretty pathetic how all these fans show up in late Sept.  :D

1065233[/snapback]

I've been following the Sox since '82. I clearly remember...

- The Winnin' Ugly team of '83, featuring Cy Young winner LaMar Hoytt and AL ROTY Ron Kittle

- Harold Baines' sac fly that scored Julio Cruz to win the AL West that year

- Mike Boddiker shutting down the Sox in the '83 ALCS and Greg Luzinski taking three stikes in the team's last at-bat.

- Reinsdorf, Einhorn, and the rest of the Board of Directors taking the Sox games to UHF and then a proprietary cable channel, resulting in Harry Caray quitting and going to the Cubs. Consequently, Harry and the Cubs were on a Superstation and the Sox fan base shriveled up to nothing.

- Kittle and Greg Luzinski hitting homers onto the roof of old Comiskey Park

- Baines hitting the game-winning HR to end the longest game in AL history (vs. the Brewers, IIRC)

- Hawk Harrelson trying to be a GM (IIRC, in '86) :D

- Construction on the Dan Ryan in the late '80s killing ticket sales

- Reinsdorf threatening to move the team to St. Petersburg if the city/state didn't build him a new stadium

- The final year of Old Comiskey Park (1990), the most historic and, dare I say, best ballpark in the league at the time. It was absolutely gut-wrenching to see it torn down. Robin Ventura was the last at-bat (I have a framed picture of it). The rookie phenom Frank Thomas hit the last homer there.

- The 1990 Sox almost coming up just short of taking the AL West from the A's

- Bobby Thigpen setting the MLB record for saves the same year

- The new and much-less-cooler ballpark opening up in 1991

- The Sox's farm system paying off in the early '90s (Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Frenandez, Alvarez, Bere, Thigpen, Hernendez)

- Frank Thomas being the best hitter in baseball from '91-'97, winning two MVPs ('93 and '94) and a batting title ('97).

- Jack McDowell's Cy Young award in '93

- The '93 team whose stellar rotation failed against the Blue Jays in the ALCS

- The '94 stike, spearheaded by none other than Jerry Reinsdorf, while the Sox were in first place. The season ticket holder base has been nowhere near 27,000 since.

- The mediocre Sox of the mid/late '90s, who decided to spend money on Jamie Navarro and Albert Belle instead of Roger Clemens.

- The God-awful White Flag Trade of '97, which sent two of the Sox's top pitchers (Alvarez and Hernendez) to the Giants for prospects on July 31st... when they were 3 1/2 out of first place.

- The Indians kicking our a$$es from '95-'99

- Frank Thomas beginning his decline in 1998

- Hanging out with Ray Durham and (trainer) Herm Schneider in Toronto in 1998.

- Meeting Jerry Reinsdorf at SoxFest earlier that year

- The 1999 sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley

- The magical 2000 season, where James Baldwin, Cal Edlred, Jim Parque, and Frank Thomas all happened to have career years

- Getting a tour of the ballpark that same year (I know someone who works in the front office). I even made a call to the bullpen from the visitor's dugout.

- Meeting Nancy Foust and getting to hang out in her booth for a few minutes (Bruce Wolf from Fox asked my sister to be part of a contest)

- The collapse against Seattle in the 2000 ALDS and Frank losing the AL MVP to steroid-user Jason Giambi

- The "Shouldergate" scandal of 2001, where rookie GM Kenny Williams pulled a fast one on Gord Ash

- David Wells being a complete flop and acting like an a$$ that year

- Frank Thomas' torn pectoral muscle, which began the decline of his health

- The emergence of little-known Mark Buehrle in 2001

- The good-but-not great stretch from '01-'04 where the Twins had our number

- Frank Thomas' 400th career HR in 2003, his last monster season

- The emergence of Mr. Zero and his entrance "gong" in 2004... along with his quick decline earlier this season

Watch who you call a "fair-weather fan" next time, momo. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski