[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anaheim @ Chicago

I Like Soup

You and other real fans aside, the stadium was half full most or all of the year, you have to at least agree with me there.

1065452[/snapback]

Location, location, location. I'd rather go to a game with my kids and sit in good seats with 20,000 other knowledgable fans than to get crammed in and out of that dump of a stadium on the North side where most everyone is there to only party and not really watch a baseball game.

Going to a Cubs game is the en vogue thing to do for people who want to go to an outdoor party. Going to a Sox game is the thing to do for people who want to go watch a game. Big difference.

And to potentially make an assumption that Wrigley would be filled with the same people in the stands during the regular season vs. playoffs, and that there wouldn't be "fair weather fans" is simply wrong. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following the Sox since '82.  I clearly remember...

- The Winnin' Ugly team of '83, featuring Cy Young winner LaMar Hoytt and AL ROTY Ron Kittle

- Harold Baines' sac fly that scored Julio Cruz to win the AL West that year

- Mike Boddiker shutting down the Sox in the '83 ALCS and Greg Luzinski taking three stikes in the team's last at-bat.

- Reinsdorf, Einhorn, and the rest of the Board of Directors taking the Sox games to UHF and then a proprietary cable channel, resulting in Harry Caray quitting and going to the Cubs.  Consequently, Harry and the Cubs were on a Superstation and the Sox fan base shriveled up to nothing.

- Kittle and Greg Luzinski hitting homers onto the roof of old Comiskey Park

- Baines hitting the game-winning HR to end the longest game in AL history (vs. the Brewers, IIRC)

- Hawk Harrelson trying to be a GM (IIRC, in '86)  :D

- Construction on the Dan Ryan in the late '80s killing ticket sales

- Reinsdorf threatening to move the team to St. Petersburg if the city/state didn't build him a new stadium

- The final year of Old Comiskey Park (1990), the most historic and, dare I say, best ballpark in the league at the time.  It was absolutely gut-wrenching to see it torn down.  Robin Ventura was the last at-bat (I have a framed picture of it).  The rookie phenom Frank Thomas hit the last homer there.

- The 1990 Sox almost coming up just short of taking the AL West from the A's

- Bobby Thigpen setting the MLB record for saves the same year

- The new and much-less-cooler ballpark opening up in 1991

- The Sox's farm system paying off in the early '90s (Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Frenandez, Alvarez, Bere, Thigpen, Hernendez)

- Frank Thomas being the best hitter in baseball from '91-'97, winning two MVPs ('93 and '94) and a batting title ('97).

- Jack McDowell's Cy Young award in '93

- The '93 team whose stellar rotation failed against the Blue Jays in the ALCS

- The '94 stike, spearheaded by none other than Jerry Reinsdorf, while the Sox were in first place.  The season ticket holder base has been nowhere near 27,000 since.

- The mediocre Sox of the mid/late '90s, who decided to spend money on Jamie Navarro and Albert Belle instead of Roger Clemens.

- The God-awful White Flag Trade of '97, which sent two of the Sox's top pitchers (Alvarez and Hernendez) to the Giants for prospects on July 31st... when they were 3 1/2 out of first place.

- The Indians kicking our a$$es from '95-'99

- Frank Thomas beginning his decline in 1998

- Hanging out with Ray Durham and (trainer) Herm Schneider in Toronto in 1998.

- Meeting Jerry Reinsdorf at SoxFest earlier that year

- The 1999 sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley

- The magical 2000 season, where James Baldwin, Cal Edlred, Jim Parque, and Frank Thomas all happened to have career years

- Getting a tour of the ballpark that same year (I know someone who works in the front office).  I even made a call to the bullpen from the visitor's dugout.

- Meeting Nancy Foust and getting to hang out in her booth for a few minutes (Bruce Wolf from Fox asked my sister to be part of a contest)

- The collapse against Seattle in the 2000 ALDS and Frank losing the AL MVP to steroid-user Jason Giambi

- The "Shouldergate" scandal of 2001, where rookie GM Kenny Williams pulled a fast one on Gord Ash

- David Wells being a complete flop and acting like an a$$ that year

- Frank Thomas' torn pectoral muscle, which began the decline of his health

- The emergence of little-known Mark Buehrle in 2001

- The good-but-not great stretch from '01-'04 where the Twins had our number

- Frank Thomas' 400th career HR in 2003, his last monster season

- The emergence of Mr. Zero and his entrance "gong" in 2004... along with his quick decline earlier this season

Watch who you call a "fair-weather fan" next time, momo.  :D

1065560[/snapback]

:D

I can make spaghetti.

Watch who you call a "fair-weather fan" next time, momo. :D

1065560[/snapback]

You obviously didn't read my WHOLE post where I wrote: :D

"I know there are alot of great Sox fans, as I'm sure you are. But even you have to admit that these "fans" that are all of a sudden coming out of the woodwork is a little disturbing. I have friends that are Sox fans that share my view on this."

So as I can clearly see, you are a Sox fan, but read the whole post before saying I'm calling EVERY Sox fan "fairweathered" please.

And to gilthorp...........

The fact that you use the excuse of "20,00 knowledgable" fans is crap. Granted I admit Wrigley Field is novelty for out of towners and so forth, location is not the fault of the Cubs. There are thousands of knowledgable Cub fans that go to Wrigley. They sell out pretty much every game, and I'm certain there aren't 20,00 out of towners at every game. This is a bunch of he said/shesaid, we can debate this all day. It's just safe to say that no matter what I say or whatever you say, we're both right in our minds. I love baseball, Cubs, Wrigley Field, and playoff baseball. The Sox are in right now and playing well, so based on what you told me, there were only 20,00 fans there last night of the sold out game that knew what was going on, right? :D

It's playoff baseball. From the looks of people that I saw being interviewed on their way out of the game last night, sure...it seems like 50% of them weren't your true White Sox fan....they were in fact your "fair weather fan"....GASP!

My experience at Wrigley is that it's one big party. Party before, party during, party after. You're there for the party.

My experience on the South Side is that it's a game. Go to the parking lot, park easily, watch the game, and it's over. You're there for the game.

You can't tell me that if the locations were reversed, or if the Sox were smart and rebuilt just south of the financial district (which they should have done....built a ballpark like Camden Yards right in the heart of the city), that the Sox would be suffering from 50% capacity for most of the year.

Build your argument, let's hear it.

It's all about location IMO.

Interesting...a friend of mine is from Chicago so I sent her an email asking if she was happy for the Sox. She HATES HATES HATES the White Sox and cannot root for them as she is a Cubs fan. I was like :D

I figured as long as you keep it in the city, it is all good. But what do I know about Chicago sports?

Interviewed??? Who else are they going to interview?? Detroit fans? C'mon. If there are no fairweathered fans, why aren't the Sox leading in attendence this year? All those fans last night weren't there in May, June, July, Aug, even the beginning of Sept.

Yes, Wrigley is a great experience, party, whatever you want to call it. Sox fans have used the party and not real fans excuse ever since I can remember. If I was from out of town, I'd rather go to Wrigley too. Nostalgia is what I call it. Wrigley, Fenway, even Yankee Stadium are dumps when it comes to other ballparks. But people go to those parks for the nostalgia.

Comiscular is much better than it was just 5 years ago, with the green seats, ivy in center field..... sounds like another ball park 8 miles north.

Location! It's not the fault of the Cubs that they play where they do, they didn't build a park in a slum/factory district because the owner(Comisky) was too cheap to build elsewhere.

Is it the Cubs fault that a father/ son trailer trash combo runs on to the field and beats up 70 yr old 1st base coach Gamboa? Or how about the ump that got attacked a year later with that same coach a few feet away? What about the Chicago sports talk radio host getting jumped in the park on his way to the bar after the game?

Why do people who go to Wrigley party before, during, and after games? Because they CAN!

And it doesn't make them any less of a fan for it either. You said it yourself, if the Sox were there, you'd do the same thing. And from your earlier post, it seems you're very knowledgable on the Sox as well as baseball as a whole. So to me it seems like an oxy-moron that you say if the teams were reversed, it would be the same for the Sox, but at the same time you rip Cub fans for "partying" and not being real fans..... JMO.

I wish you well in FF, and as I said to the other Sox fan, with the Sox.

You obviously didn't read my WHOLE post where I wrote:  :D

"I know there are alot of great Sox fans, as I'm sure you are. But even you have to admit that these "fans" that are all of a sudden coming out of the woodwork is a little disturbing. I have friends that are Sox fans that share my view on this."

So as I can clearly see, you are a Sox fan, but read the whole post before saying I'm calling EVERY Sox fan "fairweathered" please.

1065700[/snapback]

You didn't explain yourself very well in your first post:

FAIR WEATHERED FANS!! Where were all these "FANS" during the season??? It's pretty pathetic how all these fans show up in late Sept. 

Interviewed??? Who else are they going to interview?? Detroit fans? C'mon. If there are no fairweathered fans, why aren't the Sox leading in attendence this year? All those fans last night weren't there in May, June, July, Aug, even the beginning of Sept.

Let's see...100% of the fans at the game last night weren't there during the regular season. OK. :D

Yes, Wrigley is a great experience, party, whatever you want to call it. Sox fans have used the party and not real fans excuse ever since I can remember.

Because it's true :D

If I was from out of town, I'd rather go to Wrigley too. Nostalgia is what I call it. Wrigley, Fenway, even Yankee Stadium are dumps when it comes to other ballparks. But people go to those parks for the nostalgia.

No argument here...even though those out of towners get to sit around with a bunch of sissy Cubs fans. :D

Comiscular is much better than it was just 5 years ago, with the green seats, ivy in center field..... sounds like another ball park 8 miles north.

Better food, facilities, 100% kid friendly, which Wrigley is not

Location! It's not the fault of the Cubs that they play where they do, they didn't build a park in a slum/factory district because the owner(Comisky) was too cheap to build elsewhere.

Major mistake not building the new park directly south of the loop, in terms of drawing a bigger crowd for the stadium

Is it the Cubs fault that a father/ son trailer trash combo runs on to the field and beats up 70 yr old 1st base coach Gamboa? Or how about the ump that got attacked a year later with that same coach a few feet away? What about the Chicago sports talk radio host getting jumped in the park on his way to the bar after the game?

You're funny. Taking some bad apples and using it to paint with a broad brush. As far as the radio host? Location, location, location.

Why do people who go to Wrigley party before, during, and after games? Because they CAN!

Why don't people go to the Cell and party before, during, and after games? Location, location, location.

And it doesn't make them any less of a fan for it either. You said it yourself, if the Sox were there, you'd do the same thing. And from your earlier post, it seems you're very knowledgable on the Sox as well as baseball as a whole. So to me it seems like an oxy-moron that you say if the teams were reversed, it would be the same for the Sox, but at the same time you rip Cub fans for "partying" and not being real fans..... JMO.

I stand by my statement. At Wrigley, people are there for the party, more than the game. On the South Side, people are there for the game, more than the party.

I wish you well in FF, and as I said to the other Sox fan, with the Sox.

1065837[/snapback]

If you'd like to go on and on about this, we can. You are obviously a true Cub fan, and would go to the games regardless of where the location of the stadium is.

Put the White Sox stadium in a predominantly white, middle class neighborhood, and put the Cubs stadium on the border of slums and Bridgeport, the roles would be reversed.

Move the Cubs out of Wrigleyville, and all these "true blue" Cubs fans would be dropping like flies, because their outdoor party would be taken away from them.

Oh by, the way, I wish you well in FF, and with the Cubs.

Edited by gilthorp

Interesting...a friend of mine is from Chicago so I sent her an email asking if she was happy for the Sox.  She HATES HATES HATES the White Sox and cannot root for them as she is a Cubs fan.  I was like :D

I figured as long as you keep it in the city, it is all good.  But what do I know about Chicago sports?

1065820[/snapback]

Yeah we dont like each other......but during football we grieve together.

You're right, we can go on all day. But we won't, it's too draining... :D

We are both true fans to our teams, a minority in our opinion. The truth of the matter is that there is playoff baseball in Chicago, that's electric! As in 2003, the city was going nuts! It is a cool feeling having the bars electric again during a playoff series, it's too far and in between when any Chicago team makes the playoffs these days, especially our baseball teams!

Good luck, and I'm sure we'll talk again......

Yeah we dont like each other......but during football we grieve together.

1065982[/snapback]

I have plenty of friends and family that are Cubs fans. It has nothing to do with like or hate for me.

Most of the baseball fans in Chicago, there is a line drawn. I assume it's got to be the same with the Yankees and Mets, isn't it?

What I have found this year, is that a good deal of the people I associate with that are Cubs fans, are happy enough for me that the White Sox finally did something worth getting excited about. It's probably because of the way I treated them when the Cubs made the playoffs--which is with respect, and not rooting against them.

Of course, there still are your arrogant Cubs fans that will root against the Sox, and claim to be fans of the other teams. I play softball with one of these types, and it is what it is. They are big time Angels and Astros fans right now.

I have plenty of friends and family that are Cubs fans. It has nothing to do with like or hate for me.

Most of the baseball fans in Chicago, there is a line drawn. I assume it's got to be the same with the Yankees and Mets, isn't it?

1066009[/snapback]

I don't think it is. The Cubs/Sox rivalry is about as heated (for the fans, at least) as the Yankees/Red Sox.

There are plenty of cool Cubs fans out there. Unfortunately, all the bad ones seem to be on Internet boards. :D

And like other Californian "men" who listen to techno music, I'm sure that you can toss a salad as well.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  :D

1065924[/snapback]

You are quite possibly the biggest tool on these boards.

1065943[/snapback]

Wow, great comeback!  :D

1065964[/snapback]

Truth hurts, huh...

1065988[/snapback]

Gee, darin, I thought it was funny...:D

Gee, darin, I thought it was funny...:D

1066154[/snapback]

What's funny is that darin started it, yet couldn't finish it.

This is long overdue:

You have chosen to ignore Bill Swerski. View this post · Squeeze me a little harder Bill Swerski

G'bye, Swerski!

1066167[/snapback]

G'bye, pu$$y! :D

FAIR WEATHERED FANS!! Where were all these "FANS" during the season??? It's pretty pathetic how all these fans show up in late Sept.  :D

1065233[/snapback]

i am budding in late but i will still speak. i live in the suburbs of Chicago, and yes there are a ton of fair weathed fans for both the cubs and sox, and for probably every team in every city. two years ago when the cubs were in the playoffs, there were a ton of cubs fans who just popped out of nowhere, especially in schools. about 95% of the school that year was a cubs fan. then come to the sox. they are in the playoffs this year, and about 85% of my school are sox fans.

as for fans attending the games, i have no idea.

They had the umpire give a press conference.  Did anyone catch what their lame excuse was?

1066686[/snapback]

X, they were standing by the call during that press conference.

First of all, the home plate ump was referring back to his motion of calling people out all night, but also stated that he didn't refer to the ball as "live".

The Supervisor of the umps for the night was speaking about how they replayed it in the truck and that and at best it was "inconclusive".

The Crew Chief was in the outfield at the time, and was called into it when asked.

I still stand by my opinion that it was a bad call, and even though I feel relieved for the White Sox to get the win, I don't feel like it was earned. That game should have gone into extras.