[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston @ St. Louis

I Like Soup

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get it on!

Congrats, Houston. I know I'll enjoy a potential pitching duel each night with low scoring games.

Oswalt is scary good.

1083135[/snapback]

Yep--this could be a fun series for a baseball fan to watch.

Part of me wants to root for the Astros, but part of me wants to root for the Sox (just to stick it to Cubs fans).

Should be a very close series in any case.

WS should be good--not that anyone on the coasts will even notice it.

1083093[/snapback]

Fu@k 'em. How many casual baseball fans in the Midwest or South were looking forward to a New York or Boston team playing a California team again? I didn't even bother tuning into the 2000 or 2002 WS, and I'm far from a casual fan.

Part of me wants to root for the Astros, but part of me wants to root for the Sox (just to stick it to Cubs fans).

1083150[/snapback]

Aside from not wanting to go up against Houston's pitching, I was pulling for the Cards for the same reason. I would've paid to see the heads of Cubs fans explode when they couldn't decide who to root against. :D

Agreed that it's going to be a great (and low-scoring) WS. I'll be at a bar in my Sox gear, surrounded by rowdy Astros fans. :D

I was pulling for the Cards for the same reason.  I would've paid to see the heads of Cubs fans explode when they couldn't decide who to root against.  :D

1083526[/snapback]

I've always laughed that a Cards/Sox WS would be a Cubs' fan's worst nightmare.

:D

Congrats, Astros.

WS should be good--not that anyone on the coasts will even notice it.

1083093[/snapback]

Houston and Chicago both are on major bodies of water. :D

And is it just me, or is LaRussa horrifically overrated?

And is it just me, or is LaRussa horrifically overrated?

1085103[/snapback]

I think it's just you. Four-time Manager of the Year, four pennants, and a ring to boot. He's taken all three teams he's coached to the playoffs, without the benefit of excessively deep-pocketed ownership. And I think he's ranked pretty high on the all-time wins list.

I've gotten away from baseball the last few years but with a Texas team in for the first time, I'll be watching and enjoying it no matter what the outcome.

1085131[/snapback]

If my Sox had to lose to any team, the Astros would be near the top of my list. Incredibly classy players and coaching.

I think it's just you.  Four-time Manager of the Year, four pennants, and a ring to boot.  He's taken all three teams he's coached to the playoffs, without the benefit of excessively deep-pocketed ownership.  And I think he's ranked pretty high on the all-time wins list.

1085129[/snapback]

He DID do a great job with the Sox, but his A's and Cards teams were hardly talent-poor. As a matter of fact, here's something I cribbed from Washington DC sports feller Steve Czaban:

His career record is 2213-1908 yet he's only five games above .500 in the post-season. Although it's a winning record, his string of failures go back as long as I can remember.

1983: White Sox, best record in baseball, lost ALCS 3-1

1988: Athletics, best record in baseball, W: ALCS 4-0, L: in WS 4-1

1989: Athletics, best record in baseball, W: ALCS 4-1,W:WS 4-0

1990: Athletics, best record in baseball, won ALCS 4-0, lost WS 4-0

1992: Athletics, AL West champs, lost ALCS 4-2

1996: Cardinals, NL Central champs, won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-3

2000: Cardinals, NL Central champs, won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-1

2001: Cardinals, NL Wildcard, lost NLDS 3-2

2002: Cardinals, NL Central champs, won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-1

2004: Cardinals, Best MLB Record, W:DS 3-1,W:CS 4-3,L:WS 4-0

2005: Cardinals, Best MLB Record, won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-2

He has managed a team to the best record in baseball 6 times and has only brought home the title one time. At what point is he considered an underachiever in the post-season?

8-9 in WS games.

He DID do a great job with the Sox, but his A's and Cards teams were hardly talent-poor.

1085229[/snapback]

Talent and money are two different things. :D The A's teams of the late '80s/early '90s and '00-'03 had a lot of talent, but without the front office spending excessively on free agents. The difference, of course, was that LaRussa won a few pennants and a WS, but Art Howe and Ken Macha never made it past the ALCS.

LaRussa's A's and Cardinals didn't have two-to-three times the payroll of the average MLB team, like Torre's Yankees.

As a matter of fact, here's something I cribbed from Washington DC sports feller Steve Czaban:

8-9 in WS games.

Bobby Cox has only one WS victory, yet has won 14 straight division titles managing the Braves (excluding the strike-shortened '94 season). Not bad for a playoff "underachiever."

Don't let your personal dislike of LaRussa cloud your judgement. He's a HOF manager.

Edited by Bill Swerski

He's a head-hunting pri@k on the mound, but a good guy off the field.

1086214[/snapback]

I have to say I didn't really care for him, especially when he was a hot head early in his career. Now that he plays for the good guys....... :D

I have to say I didn't really care for him, especially when he was a hot head early in his career.  Now that he plays for the good guys....... :D

1086698[/snapback]

Did you know that the White Sox announcers frequently refer to their team as the "Good Guys"?

Did you know that the White Sox announcers frequently refer to their team as the "Good Guys"?

1086901[/snapback]

Yes I've caught a few of the Sox games on WGN, although I wasn't thinking about that when I posted. Is it Hawk Harrelson that has that funny HR call?