[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

well, since we don't have a forum yet.... let's start talking about format.

how do we want to do it?

- select a grape and go with that for a couple of weeks, sampling them from different regions?

- select a country and try different grapes from different regions?

-select a particular wine and try the same wine from different years?

1157742[/snapback]

A grape from different countries would probably have the most educational value and be the least expensive option. If we do wines from different years, that could be expensive and or hard for everyone to find the years. IMHO

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

A bunch of quick things: You guys get up too early. My head hurts. After all the wine talk yesterday, I decided to do something I've been trying to put off. I opened a bottle of Montelena which I had purchased as a future. Obviously, it was quite tight and no amount of decanting really opened it up (let it sit for 2 hours). Even so, it was incredibly full-bodied with a lot of black currant and dark chocolate on the initial pallette. As it opened a little, plenty of cassis, black cherry and the earthy flavors common to cabs from the area came through. Long finish with plenty of tannins. 11 more bottles to go. I think I'll open the next in about 5 years.

For the name, to encompass everything, maybe something along the lines of "the harvest".

Chateau Ste. Michelle makes a lot of good wines, and still manages a few great ones. Their collaborations with Dr. Loosen have been their best move IMO. The Eroica is an amazing Riesling. The Single Berry Select is very good (not worth $250 for a 375ml but I've enjoyed tasting). They have a new collaboration with grapes coming from Dr. Loosen's estates. Its called "Saint M" and is worth trying when a meal calls for a Riesling. Many of their other wines change from year to year. Typically, their Cold Creek Chard is decent. The winery is a great place to catch a good concert and is right across the street from Columbia Winery and Red Hook Brewery. The best restaurant in the Seattle area is a short distance away: The Herb Farm.

I've been anti-Merlot for years. Give me the right Merlot, however, and I will enjoy it as much as anyone. My problem with Merlot is that there are very few good Merlots in proportion to the total number. Everyone makes one and even worse, every soiree, dinner, etc serves one as their "red" wine. If they haven't taken the time to find a good merlot and match it well, they do themselves a disservice IMO. In all my winery visits in the last few years, I think I have purchased one bottling of Merlot....and I bought quite a bit of that.

Ok,

A bunch of quick things:  You guys get up too early.  My head hurts.  After all the wine talk yesterday, I decided to do something I've been trying to put off.  I opened a bottle of Montelena which I had purchased as a future.  Obviously, it was quite tight and no amount of decanting really opened it up (let it sit for 2 hours).  Even so, it was incredibly full-bodied with a lot of black currant and dark chocolate on the initial pallette.  As it opened a little, plenty of cassis, black cherry and the earthy flavors common to cabs from the area came through.  Long finish with plenty of tannins.  11 more bottles to go.  I think I'll open the next in about 5 years.

For the name, to encompass everything, maybe something along the lines of "the harvest". 

Chateau Ste. Michelle makes a lot of good wines, and still manages a few great ones.  Their collaborations with Dr. Loosen have been their best move IMO.  The Eroica is an amazing Riesling.  The Single Berry Select is very good (not worth $250 for a 375ml but I've enjoyed tasting).  They have a new collaboration with grapes coming from Dr. Loosen's estates.  Its called "Saint M" and is worth trying when a meal calls for a Riesling.  Many of their other wines change from year to year.  Typically, their Cold Creek Chard is decent.  The winery is a great place to catch a good concert and is right across the street from Columbia Winery and Red Hook Brewery.  The best restaurant in the Seattle area is a short distance away:  The Herb Farm.

I've been anti-Merlot for years.  Give me the right Merlot, however, and I will enjoy it as much as anyone.  My problem with Merlot is that there are very few good Merlots in proportion to the total number.  Everyone makes one and even worse, every soiree, dinner, etc serves one as their "red" wine.  If they haven't taken the time to find a good merlot and match it well, they do themselves a disservice IMO.  In all my winery visits in the last few years, I think I have purchased one bottling of Merlot....and I bought quite a bit of that.

1157762[/snapback]

Note to self... move to wine region!! Must be great living in such a great wine area! Which year of Montelena did you enjoy or wish you had waited?? My Vertical goes from 94 through current... I am drinking through the 98's fairly quickly at this time!

Ok,

A bunch of quick things:  You guys get up too early.  My head hurts.  After all the wine talk yesterday, I decided to do something I've been trying to put off.  I opened a bottle of Montelena which I had purchased as a future.  Obviously, it was quite tight and no amount of decanting really opened it up (let it sit for 2 hours).  Even so, it was incredibly full-bodied with a lot of black currant and dark chocolate on the initial pallette.  As it opened a little, plenty of cassis, black cherry and the earthy flavors common to cabs from the area came through.  Long finish with plenty of tannins.  11 more bottles to go.  I think I'll open the next in about 5 years.

1157762[/snapback]

I've got a 99 Montelena.

Note to self... move to wine region!! Must be great living in such a great wine area! Which year of Montelena did you enjoy or wish you had waited?? My Vertical goes from 94 through current... I am drinking through the 98's fairly quickly at this time!

1157785[/snapback]

Too bad his wife wants him to move to St. Louis.

nah, thats what laptops are for.

I'm just long-winded.

1157780[/snapback]

:D

i have nothing against merlots, but don't necessarily order them. occationally, while tasting they will surprise me. but, i also think cal does them better than the nw.

that montellena sounds very good... been there several times.

1157785[/snapback]

This was a 2001. Part of me wanted to put off opening the bottle simply because I know that it is only going to get better. But I'm glad I opened it and took some decent notes on it as it will make it more interesting when I open the other bottles down the line.

This was a 2001.  Part of me wanted to put off opening the bottle simply because I know that it is only going to get better.  But I'm glad I opened it and took some decent notes on it as it will make it more interesting when I open the other bottles down the line.

1157813[/snapback]

I thought the same thing when I opened the 99 Merryvale Profile last year. It was decent and had some great potential.

I thought the same thing when I opened the 99 Merryvale Profile last year. It was decent and had some great potential.

1157823[/snapback]

If I had only had one bottle, I would not have opened it. Here comes the reward of buying it as a future: I paid about half the price / bottle that it is going for now that it has been released.

This was a 2001.  Part of me wanted to put off opening the bottle simply because I know that it is only going to get better.  But I'm glad I opened it and took some decent notes on it as it will make it more interesting when I open the other bottles down the line.

1157813[/snapback]

I purchased a bunch of Isoceles 97 based on previous experiences with the wine and all the press it received. Shortly after receiving it I had a bottle at the resturant and was dissappointed but hopeful due to how backwards it seemed. ?I am now reaping the rewards of cellaring and am still amazed by the changes that wines make over time. Montelena is one of those wines that almost always seem a little backwards to me.

I purchased a bunch of Isoceles 97 based on previous experiences with the wine and all the press it received. Shortly after receiving it I had a bottle at the resturant and was dissappointed but hopeful due to how backwards it seemed. ?I am now reaping the rewards of cellaring and am still amazed by the changes that wines make over time. Montelena is one of those wines that almost always seem a little backwards to me.

1157833[/snapback]

I had the Isoceles 02 two weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to make any notes on it because we were out at a restaurant. I do remember it being rather silky with a long finish.

Lawdawg, I sent you pictures of that place.

Edited by twiley

Ok,

Chateau Ste. Michelle makes a lot of good wines, and still manages a few great ones.  Their collaborations with Dr. Loosen have been their best move IMO.  The Eroica is an amazing Riesling.  The Single Berry Select is very good (not worth $250 for a 375ml but I've enjoyed tasting).  They have a new collaboration with grapes coming from Dr. Loosen's estates.  Its called "Saint M" and is worth trying when a meal calls for a Riesling.  Many of their other wines change from year to year.  Typically, their Cold Creek Chard is decent.  The winery is a great place to catch a good concert and is right across the street from Columbia Winery and Red Hook Brewery.  The best restaurant in the Seattle area is a short distance away:  The Herb Farm.

I've been anti-Merlot for years.  Give me the right Merlot, however, and I will enjoy it as much as anyone.  My problem with Merlot is that there are very few good Merlots in proportion to the total number.  Everyone makes one and even worse, every soiree, dinner, etc serves one as their "red" wine.  If they haven't taken the time to find a good merlot and match it well, they do themselves a disservice IMO.  In all my winery visits in the last few years, I think I have purchased one bottling of Merlot....and I bought quite a bit of that.

1157762[/snapback]

You need look no further than CSM for that good Merlot you seek. Their Cold Creek Merlot rocks. I used to rep them out here and bought up a bunch when we had an on-premise promotional price of $13. That was some tasty wine. Steele Stymie Merlot is also a pretty impressive drink as are the Merlot driven super tuscans. Doesn't Sassicaia have a pretty good dose of it?

Edited by detlef