[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine of the week

Bier Meister

how do want to do it?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. how do want to do it?

• 1. varietal (grape)
    • 2. country
    • 3. region

Twiley and I spoke about how we can best appeal to everyone's needs. we are going to do a basic progression with 2 bottles per week at $10-15/bottle. we are still playing with a perminant day of the week (we can vote on it). WE ARE GOING TO DO WEEK 1 TOMORROW- Tues. if you have allready bought the pinot, that's ok... we will do that in week 4.

Week 1. Riesling-

- Kendall-Jackson 2004

- August Kesseler 2002 (rheingau)

Week 2. Pinot Noir

- Argyle 2004

- Napa Ridge coastal vines 2003

Week 3. Pinot Gris/Grigio

- Ruffino 04

- Chateau St. michelle 04

- King Estate 02

- Giovanni Puiatti 03

- Banfi 04

Week 4. Chianti

- Gabbiano Chianti Classico 02

- Querceto Chianti 04

Week 5. Sauvignon Blanc

- Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand 04

- Clos du Bois Sauvignon Blac 04

Week 6. Merlot

- sebastiani 01

- bella sera 03

Week 7. Chadonnay

- chateau st jean- 04

- tbd

Week 8. Shiraz/ Syrah

Week 9. Zinfandel

Week 10. Cabernet Sauvingon

after that we might do some cross tasting (viognier vs chardonnay)

edit: to include pinot gris/grigio.

edit; to stagger weeks.....

Edited by Bier Meister

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm out this week as I will be driving to St. Louis tomorrow evening.

(and I just realized something--Cabernet night is my son's due date--yeesh, now I'm scared) :D

1165183[/snapback]

How long will you be in St. Louis? We could meet up for some drinks.

Don't worry about me if everyone wants to do it tonight. I can always buy the wines and try them on my own time.

I encourage everyone to participate weekly so you can really sharpen your senses on tastings and to broaden your palette.

1165339[/snapback]

Its too bad that the other people from your Monday night dinner don't drink....oh...wait a second. :D

so what would be best for people?  is today better for most??

1165308[/snapback]

today would be slightly better for me this week, but i may have too much to do tonight to really participate. in general, mondays and tuesdays would both be fine for me to partake. since it's short notice and a holiday week and all that, maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to push week 1 back to next week? just a thought..

How long will you be in St. Louis? We could meet up for some drinks.

1165248[/snapback]

I'll be in until Sunday, but we are booked solid with family virtually the entire time.

Seeing the family will be good--not seeing twiley in action is not good. Someday we'll have to meet up.

since it's short notice and a holiday week and all that, maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to push week 1 back to next week?  just a thought..

1165466[/snapback]

i was thinking about this too..... might be best.

everyone who wants to participate go ahead and grab those two rieslings and we'll start week 1 next week.....

:D still need to pick a day.

edit:  revised to start with riesling this week.

even though they are lesser wines, i think doing 2 at $10-15 provides a better tasting experience.  pinots are pretty inflated right now.  there was not a hugh selection in that range (plus i wanted to try to get  a decent representation of cal vs nw). 

now the estancia pinot i had with my duck last night was pretty good :D

1164697[/snapback]

Don't even begin to imply that Riesling is a "lesser" wine. While they haven't caught on with most wine drinkers, some of the finest wines in the world are made from this grape. I'd be happy to add my $.02 and try a few this week. If I may, I'll start a new thread with a primer on the grape.

Don't even begin to imply that Riesling is a "lesser" wine.  While they haven't caught on with most wine drinkers, some of the finest wines in the world are made from this grape.  I'd be happy to add my $.02 and try a few this week.  If I may, I'll start a new thread with a primer on the grape.

1165779[/snapback]

I think he was saying that $10-15 wines are often lesser when compared to more expensive bottles of the same varietal.

I think he was saying that $10-15 wines are often lesser when compared to more expensive bottles of the same varietal.

1165805[/snapback]

yes det... we were originally going to do 1 bottle around $20.. we decided to do 2 at $10-15....

i like dry rieslings

It also might be interesting sometimes to pick, say an $8 bottle of something and then compare it to say a $20+ bottle of the same thing.  See if we can learn how to taste the complexity of the more expensive wine.

1166195[/snapback]

i have np with that at all......

my store didn't have the 02 august kessler.  they had the 03 and the 04.  the 04 had a higher wine spectator rating (90 vs. 88) AND it was 6 bucks cheaper.  so i got that :D

both bottles for 18 bucks total.

1166322[/snapback]

:D the 02 was at 88

How did KJ make the cut? What if we loosened up the format? Say we simply pick a varietal for the week, let everyone go out and try a few at their leisure and report back with their findings? This way we'd get a broader range of input. The downside, of course, is that we wont come to a consensus on any specific wines, but we will learn about a bunch of different ones.

At anyrate, if it's OK with y'all, that's how I'm gonna play it.