[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy Strategy

msmith379

Alright I am doing some manipulating with playoff seeds. This week is the last week of the regular season in my league. I am tied for 1st and will get the first seed if I win this week due to scoring the most points in my league. All of the playoffs spots are decided except for one. There are two teams trying to that last spot one of which I am a little fearful of playing in the first round. Mostly because they have Steve Smith and Peyton Manning on their team. He also beat last year in the first round of the playoffs by one point. For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at scenarios so finally it comes down to the last week. Eight team playoff system but it is looking like the #2 or #3 team will have the easier road in the playoffs so I am thinking about not starting a ful team to get that #2 or #3 seed. Am I foolish, the numbers just look better for me if I do take a dive this week, especially if I can get the #3 seed because the #6 projected seed has lost every week since TO and Priest went out (yes they were both on his team). he looks like the weakest team in the playoffs. What do you think? Thanks.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You owe it to yourself and your league to play your best team each week. It will also give you the best chance of winning each game. playoffs or regular season.

1180925[/snapback]

Screw that! You owe no one else anything!

If you feel like you have an easier road through the playoffs by being the #3 seed, you owe it to YOURSELF to make that happen!

Edited by NinersIn2006!

Well the odds are I may not be invited back to this league next year. I use to work with all of these people and now I don't so I think I will get bumped. I am thinking I do this hopefully make it through the playoffs and take all of their money and run. If they do invite me back then I guess I won't get an A for ethics.

Well the odds are I may not be invited back to this league next year.  I use to work with all of these people and now I don't so I think I will get bumped.  I am thinking I do this hopefully make it through the playoffs and take all of their money and run.  If they do invite me back then I guess I won't get an A for ethics.

1180955[/snapback]

This isnt an ethical dilema...this is no different than the Colts sitting their players if they clinch homefield in Week 14...remember the Eagles did it last year, and a few teams pissed and moaned because the supposedly "owed it to them" to play their best team possible. Screw that!

Now if you are costing somone a playoff spot by giving the guy youre playing a free ride to the playoffs, that does kind of suck, but then again, my response to that guy would be to win more games during the year and not have it come down to the last week!

Do what you feel will help you in the playoffs! Thats what the Eagles did last year, the Colts will do this year.

That would probably be what is owed to me. But I have two players in Monday night football so I am going to decide before that game what to do. All of seeds that I care about should be decided by that game so I should have an idea of what to do. I just really don't want to face the person that I think will be the #8 seed. They beat me by one point last year in the first round because the refs didn't call a Culpepper sack and let the game go on. If they would have I would have won and would have won the rest of the games and the championship. Is it bad that I am still bitter?

That would probably be what is owed to me.  But I have two players in Monday night football so I am going to decide before that game what to do.  All of seeds that I care about should be decided by that game so I should have an idea of what to do.  I just really don't want to face the person that I think will be the #8 seed.  They beat me by one point last year in the first round because the refs didn't call a Culpepper sack and let the game go on.  If they would have I would have won and would have won the rest of the games and the championship.  Is it bad that I am still bitter?

1180987[/snapback]

Ha ha ha! I do have to agree with cheezhed (I hate agreeing with a Packer fan!!) You are setting yourself up for some BAD karma...but I've said it before, do what you feel will give you the easiest road through the playoffs!

You wouldn't be invited back to any of the leagues that I participate in if you pulled that. Purposely tanking games is considered by many to be an immediate banning offense. I wouldn't go that far as a Commish, but I know many who would have no problem kicking you out of the league immediately and running your team by committee for the playoffs, and splitting any winnings equally.

I would seriously think twice about doing that, even if you "plan" on not being invited back next year. Do you really want to win that way? Why not sack up, and prove yourself against the best?

I'd play the game out and do your best. I have wrapped up my division and best record in the league at 10-2 and I am still bellyaching about a decision I have to make on my roster for week 13 games. I want to win them all.

I admit, I did at first think about a NFL team sitting their starters when they have clinched as Niners pointed out, but they face the uncertainty of real injuries...while your fantasy team doesn't whether you start certain individuals or not.

Edited by I Like Soup

The way to avoid this is to have a small prize for winners each week (or divisions as was pointed out before)...but having a prize each week not only stops this type of thing from happening, but also motivates the last place teams to still play their best as they could get a little something by playing spoiler (other than pride)..

But if your league isn't smart enough to put restrictions like that to ensure something like this doesnt happen, screw them! Do what puts you in the best position to go far in the playoffs!!

Ha ha ha!  I do have to agree with cheezhed (I hate agreeing with a Packer fan!!)  You are setting yourself up for some BAD karma...but I've said it before, do what you feel will give you the easiest road through the playoffs!

1180991[/snapback]

Hit and miss. Bad juju finds you always... don't be that guy. Play your best team and be a man. Tank any game ever for any reason and be a Rosie O'Donnell.

You wouldn't be invited back to any of the leagues that I participate in if you pulled that.  Purposely tanking games is considered by many to be an immediate banning offense.  I wouldn't go that far as a Commish, but I know many who would have no problem kicking you out of the league immediately and running your team by committee for the playoffs, and splitting any winnings equally. 

I would seriously think twice about doing that, even if you "plan" on not being invited back next year.  Do you really want to win that way?  Why not sack up, and prove yourself against the best?

1181151[/snapback]

I see the ethical problem here.....People think this is real football and there FF life would be over.(I may be one of those people... :D ) This is not the same as trading your wife your STUDS so she can win this year. I think he has a good strategy. It could back fire, but it's worth a try. Last year I was in 1st place for 10 of 14 games (head-to-head) and the total points leader. I was killing my league. I lost the same way...#8 knocked me out in the first round. It was crushing.... :D The people who are gonna have a problem with this, probably are pi$$ed off you tought of it first and won( I am... :D ). This is a game....and games are meant to be won by someone. Why not You???? I would keep the strategy to myself. Someone will be belly aching over this one. Let us know if this works out.

IMO, the last time I checked, I pay an entrance fee and can do whatever I wanted with my teams, right? Why not look out for yourself and try to win it all? I personally never really care what others think.

You gotta do what you gotta do!

EX: Colts are gonna be resting players, those teams they are playing might be still battling for playoff positioning or just to make the playoffs? You think the Colts care what the leagues says about them benching their players? They pay the team, the can do whatever they want.

I say do what is in your best interest!

GOOD LUCK

Tanking intentionally when one is out of it is ethically wrong and hurst league integrity. I'd never do it. I think there'a 5 or 6 leagues around here that would have my back on that.

I don't see anything wrong with tanking to improve one's chances/seeding in the playoffs. I've also never been in that position.

Maybe I see it as the fantasy equivalent of Dungy benching Manning after the 1st half week 17. :D

Just the fact that you are actually thinking about such an unethical move lets me know that you have no character and would not be the type of person that would be invited back in any league that I participate. You are a worthless piece of shi@te and deserve to have your punk ass beat down. You think nothing of openly talking about cheating other owners in your league. You dont care because they probably wont invite your sorry ass back next year anyway? great excuse you dick cheese bi@tch. What a sorry mofo you truly are to even consider such a lame move. No wonder these guys dont want you back. I dont want to see you back at the huddle if you are going to spread your sort of ff style. You are virus that should be exterminated.

You intentionally lose, and now someone who busted their ass all year trying to make the playoffs is out because your loss affects the standing. That's horsesh*t in my book. As a commish I wouldn't allow it. I'd ban you from the league. Bush league bullsh*t, nothing more.

Just the fact that you are actually thinking about such an unethical move lets me know that you have no character and would not be the type of person that would be invited back in any league that I participate.  You are a worthless piece of shi@te and deserve to have your punk ass beat down.  You think nothing of openly talking about cheating other owners in your league.  You dont care because they probably wont invite your sorry ass back next year anyway?  great excuse you dick cheese bi@tch.  What a sorry mofo you truly are to even consider such a lame move.  No wonder these guys dont want you back.  I dont want to see you back at the huddle if you are going to spread your sort of ff style.  You are virus that should be exterminated.

1181271[/snapback]

You intentionally lose, and now someone who busted their ass all year trying to make the playoffs is out because your loss affects the standing. That's horsesh*t in my book. As a commish I wouldn't allow it. I'd ban you from the league. Bush league bullsh*t, nothing more.

1181272[/snapback]

:D

Glad I've never been in that position or some folk I like around here would really be mad at me. Guess that's one to grow on in a few of my leagus.

I don't consider it anything you guys do but at least I'll know what decision I should make if I'm ever in leagues with you two. I'll honor your feeling on this one even though I couldn't disagree more.

:D

Glad I've never been in that position or some folk I like around here would really be mad at me.  Guess that's one to grow on in a few of my leagus.

I don't consider it anything you guys do but at least I'll know what decision I should make if I'm ever in leagues with you two.  I'll honor your feeling on this one even though I couldn't disagree more.

1181288[/snapback]

Well said.......