[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy Strategy

msmith379

This all seems pretty marginal to me.  If he was tanking to get a better draft spot in a keeper league, or tanking to help a buddy through to the playoffs at the expense of someone else, then yeah, but this is an effort to select a first round opponent - he already said there are no byes. 

It will undoubtedly fail as a strategy, there are too many variables on any given week, so personally I would play my best team every week regardless.  This season it's completely hypothetical for me anyway, as I will be lucky to get a sniff of any playoffs at all.

1181500[/snapback]

i agree with this ambiguous response. i can't say i have a huge problem with what this guy is contemplating.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! This topic got hot! I left work about 5:15, and come back about 5.5 hours later and we are closing in on 80 posts???

I REALLY dont see a problem with it, now knowing the playoffs are set, and he is not affecting who will get in and who wont. He has accumulated a very impressive 10-2 record, which gives him the flexibility to do somehting like this.

More power to you!

I blame this all on the Clinton Administration. Since he and his minions told us all that character didnt matter, and lying didnt matter if "nobody got hurt", ethics have become very relative. Cheat on your wife, is ok if its just a hummer. Lie about it on national tv and under penalty of pejury? Thats ok if you bring in Jesse Jackson as your spiritual advisor to forgive you. Nothing is right or wrong. Nothing is black or white, as long as I get mine. Screw everyone else.

The fact that people believe tanking games, thereby screwing somebody else over, is ok, tells me how far our ethics have fallen. You have no character. No honor. You are a shallow and self-centered jerk, and I can promise you that we would be scuffling if you were in any of my local leagues. You would destroy the integrity of the league to gain an advantage for yourself if you were allowed to do this. If I were the commisioner in your league, I would kick you out of the league and take over your team if I knew you were trying to pull this crap. Deliberately losing games was a common practice in the NBA years ago to secure a draft pick. Everyone realized it was unethical so they came up with a lottery system to preclude unethical people from doing that. And you are unethical. Please go to football guys where you will feel more welcome.

This all seems pretty marginal to me.  If he was tanking to get a better draft spot in a keeper league, or tanking to help a buddy through to the playoffs at the expense of someone else, then yeah, but this is an effort to select a first round opponent - he already said there are no byes. 

It will undoubtedly fail as a strategy, there are too many variables on any given week, so personally I would play my best team every week regardless.  This season it's completely hypothetical for me anyway, as I will be lucky to get a sniff of any playoffs at all.

1181500[/snapback]

Well said.

Maybe I leave too much up to chance, but I play my best team each week and let the chips fall where they may.

Puddy, you have to blow three people, HughOne, Furd and myself. You can start at any time. :D

Well said.

Maybe I leave too much up to chance, but I play my best team each week and let the chips fall where they may.

Puddy, you have to blow three people, HughOne, Furd and myself. You can start at any time. :D

1182008[/snapback]

A few points: Puddy, please shave first. And I go first, no sloppy seconds.

Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

I blame this all on the Reagan Administration.  Since he and his minions told us all that character did matter, and lying didnt matter if "it was for the good of the country", ethics have become very relative.  Arms for hostages to Iran is ok, as long as it's "a neat idea."  Thats ok if you bring in Jerry Falwell as your spiritual advisor to forgive you.  Nothing is right or  wrong.  Nothing is black or white, as long as I get mine.  Screw everyone else.

The fact that people believe tanking games, thereby screwing somebody else over, is ok, tells me how far our ethics have fallen.  You have no character.  No honor.  You are a shallow and self-centered jerk, and I can promise you that we would be scuffling if you were in any of my local leagues.  You would destroy the integrity of the league to gain an advantage for yourself if you were allowed to do this.  If I were the commisioner in your league, I would kick you out of the league and take over your team if I knew you were trying to pull this crap.  Deliberately losing games was a common practice in the NBA years ago to secure a draft pick.  Everyone realized it was unethical so they came up with a lottery system to preclude unethical people from doing that.  And you are unethical.  Please go to football guys where you will feel more welcome.

1181943[/snapback]

Fixed.

I really don't see the problem with this .... teams in a position to help their playoff efforts by making a saavy move should not be looked down on. What about all the teams with locked playoff spots that play one defensive scheme the whole game or use only a page in their playbook the whole game. They are not doing everything within their power to win, they don't want other teams to pick up on their strategies through studying films.

It's a competitive sport. You do what you need to do to win, without breaking any rules. You're not doing this simply to help another team, it is in your opinion the best way to play the game to give you the best chance of winning. Simple as that.

I really don't see the problem with this .... teams in a position to help their playoff efforts by making a saavy move should not be looked down on.  What about all the teams with locked playoff spots that play one defensive scheme the whole game or use only a page in their playbook the whole game.  They are not doing everything within their power to win, they don't want other teams to pick up on their strategies through studying films.

1182812[/snapback]

That's not a good analogy. There is no equivalent in fantasy football.

We are talking about tanking a game - deliberately trying to lose.

So what if the Colts forfeit their last couple games? Or if their offense doesn't try to score. Or if their defense doesn't try to stop anybody. No problem. In fact, it's pretty "saavy", eh?

Edited by Furd

That's not a good analogy.  There is no equivalent in fantasy football.

We are talking about tanking a game - deliberately trying to lose.

So what if the Colts forfeit their last couple games?  Or if their offense doesn't try to score.  Or if their defense doesn't try to stop anybody.  No problem.  In fact, it's pretty "saavy", eh?

1182905[/snapback]

Exactly, the Colts 2nd and 3rd teamers are out there trying to win the game...

Tank a game for any reason and you are a chump b1tch

Here's what I don't get. You affect other teams in your league whether you win or not so how is intentionally losing one game for playoff positioning any different than winning a gain for playoff position? :D Either way, some team in the league is "gettin screwed".

Here's what I don't get.  You affect other teams in your league whether you win or not so how is intentionally losing one game for playoff positioning any different than winning a gain for playoff position?  :D  Either way, some team in the league is "gettin screwed".

1182956[/snapback]

Getting screwed because the better team won is a helluva lot better than getting screwed because some (the really bad word)wad started Fred Lane over LT and Rae Carruth over Chad Johnson. At least imo. Again, this is all about ethics. People have different ethical values. Yours are significantly lower than mine. :D:D

I can't believe this kept going on throughout the day. I guess the only thing I can say is that although it may be an unethical decision or not an unethical decision depending on your personal beliefs but when it all comes down to it, it is just fantasy football which is just a game and not as big of a deal as it has been made out to be. This in my opinion I know a lot of you differ but that is each our rights and I respect your thoughts but like I have said all along I will wait until Monday night to decide and I am looking like I will probably lose this week no matter what. Now lets get to 100 posts. Let the name calling begin on me Biotches!!

I can't believe this kept going on throughout the day.  I guess the only thing I can say is that although it may be an unethical decision or not an unethical decision depending on your personal beliefs but when it all comes down to it, it is just fantasy football which is just a game and not as big of a deal as it has been made out to be.  This in my opinion I know a lot of you differ but that is each our rights and I respect your thoughts but like I have said all along I will wait until Monday night to decide and I am looking like I will probably lose this week no matter what.  Now lets get to 100 posts.  Let the name calling begin on me Biotches!!

1183136[/snapback]

Bitch!

How dat?

:D