[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you make your "Gravy" ?

whomper

I.know..I know the red stuff is sauce..But ill never call it that..How do you make your gravy? (sauce) Im always interested in seeing different ways to make a pot. What kind of meats do you put in as well?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For gravy, I open the packet, add water to the pan, whisk and bring to a light boil till it thickens.... with the chicken or turkey gravy, I add a little milk to make it creamier.

For sauce, my wife makes killer meatballs. It helps that she grew up in a family that owns several Italian delis, so her mom has recipes out the ying yang.

I was tought by a first-generation paisan - and his mom/dad who came over on a boat from the boot.

Heat extra virgin olive oil in saucepan. Mince up a good amount of garlic and heat it in the oil. You can remove the larger remnants of the garlic if you want, or leave it in. Depending on how much sauce you want, one or two (or more) cans of peeled tomatoes. As you pull the tomatoes out of the can, crush them with your hand. For every one can of tomatoes, you probably want a small can of tomato puree. Let that simmer for awhile over low to medium heat. Add salt/pepper to taste. Towards the end of the cooking (at least a couple hours), sprinkle in oregano and toss a few fresh basil leaves in there. For ultimate in paisan taste, throw some braciole in there. I have never made it myself, but the meat really adds great flavor to the sauce. Braciole is made with flank steak, bread crumbs, garlic (yeah, more) and parsley (among a few other things). You roll the bread crumbs, diced garlic/parsley in the thin flank steak and hold together with toothpicks. 3 or 4 of those bad boys in the sauce (one for each person eating usually) is perfect.

Whomp, thoughts? :D

Edited by darin3

I was tought by a first-generation paisan - and his mom/dad who came over on a boat from the boot.

Heat extra virgin olive oil in saucepan.  Mince up a good amount of garlic and heat it in the oil.  You can remove the larger remnants of the garlic if you want, or leave it in.  Depending on how much sauce you want, one or two (or more) cans of peeled tomatoes.  As you pull the tomatoes out of the can, crush them with your hand.  For every one can of tomatoes, you probably want a small can of tomato puree.  Let that simmer for awhile over low to medium heat.  Add salt/pepper to taste.  Towards the end of the cooking (at least a couple hours), sprinkle in oregano and toss a few fresh basil leaves in there.  For ultimate in paisan taste, throw some braciole in there.  I have never made it myself, but the meat really adds great flavor to the sauce.  Braciole is made with flank steak, bread crumbs, garlic (yeah, more) and parsley (among a few other things).  You roll the bread crumbs, diced garlic/parsley in the thin flank steak and hold together with toothpicks.  3 or 4 of those bad boys in the sauce (one for each person eating usually) is perfect.

Whomp, thoughts?  :D

1192909[/snapback]

Nice..That made me so hungry

Whomper you know as well as I do that nobody's gravy is as good as the one you grew up with. I'm not sure all the ingredients that she puts in it but you have to have sausage (hot italian or sweet italian) added. You don't even have to eat the saugage to get the great flavor in the gravy.

marinara (i make this every week)

2 white onions (diced)

2 C red wine

#10 can of roma tomatos (w/sauce) edit: #10 can= 6 lbs

1 1/2 C honey

3 C water

5 bay leaves

4 sprigs of thyme

2 cloves of garlic (minced)

1 C basil (chopped)

in a large sauce pot sweat onions (cook until soft). add red wine.... reduce by 1/2. add everything except basil..... bring to a boil. turn heat down and let simmer for 30min to 1 hr. romove bay leaves and thyme. blend (puree). add basil... let cool.

Edited by Bier Meister

For gravy, I open the packet, add water to the pan, whisk and bring to a light boil till it thickens.... with the chicken or turkey gravy, I add a little milk to make it creamier.

For sauce, my wife makes killer meatballs. It helps that she grew up in a family that owns several Italian delis, so her mom has recipes out the ying yang.

1192880[/snapback]

From biscuits and gravy country, I like the packages of gravy mix. Follow the directions and add pork sausage. Killer.

My wife is from a large Italian family and she can cook her asss off...she could make a brown paper bag taste good...problem is she doesn't measure anything and thus I could never duplicate her cooking. I guess that's how you REAL chefs do it though so I can only stand back in awe (and enjoyment!!)

Whomper you know as well as I do that nobody's gravy is as good as the one you grew up with. I'm not sure all the ingredients that she puts in it but you have to  have sausage (hot italian or sweet italian) added. You don't even have to eat the saugage to get the great flavor in the gravy.

1193143[/snapback]

So true..I grew up with my Moms which is tops in my book..My wifes and mine is very good but I like hearing all the variety..

I try to re-create my mom's but it doesn't ever turn out as good.

Start off with a bunch of pans going, and cook off all your meats: Meatballs (gotta go with the blend of 2 parts beef, 1 part veal, to 1 part pork)

Hot and Sweet Italian sausage

a whole fryer or two- butchered and seasoned with garlic, dried parlsey, S&P

a big, fatty chunk of pork-- my pops likes using pig's feet, but he's the only one who eats it

If it's a special occassion, I'll do a couple of rolls of bracciole.

Once the meat's done cooking, set it aside and drain most of the grease out of the pots. Lower the heat, then while the pots are still hot, throw in some chopped garlic, let it cook up for about aminute, and then thrown in a couple cans of tomato paste and mix in about 1/2 can water for each, use this to dig up all the fond off the bottom of the pan. Then grab your cans of whole tomatoes and crush them by hand into the pots. Season with some dried herbs-- mom only used basil and parsley, sometimes I throw oregano in there, too, but it's all taste.

Let that bad boy simmer for hours-- I mean hours. That's the key to a good gravy, let the tomatoes cook down until you get rid of the acid and everything gets nice and sweet. After a couple of hours, throw all the meat into the pot and let it simmer another couple of hours. Really basic, but it is the best sauce I have ever eaten!

Sometimes, I'll throw a chiffonade of fresh herbs, like basil or flat-leaf parsley into the pot right at service, just to add some depth of flavor. Serve it over homemade pasta, and you're set. Oh, and don't skimp and use that Kraft cheese in a can, either. Get a nice hunk of Peccorrino Romano, or something and grate it fresh yourself.

My wife makes a big batch of a recipe from upstate NY and adds applesauce... Anyone else do this??

I use a lot of the same ingredients mentioned in prior posts... but usually cook it with what is on hand. As mentioned earlier, let it simmer as long as you can! Thats why leftover's sometimes taste better the second or third time!

I've been told I make a good sauce....nothing is measured

mince onion, green/red pepper, garlic in pan with olive oil, cook until soft, add some salt and pepper. (amount varies depending on quantity of sauce)

add 1-2 cans of ground peeled (pasante kitchen ready) tomatoes (If you get it without salt you may need to add more than usual).with or without salt....add 1 can tomato paste

Add basil, oregano, crushed red peppers for spice, fresh mushrooms, a little worcestershire sauce, and some red wine. Add a little sugar to cut acidic taste (in pinches, you can always add more).

Add meat to taste, I find hot itlaitian sausage is my fav. But Ground Beef, Venison (beef or sausage), or chicken work.

I make it the day before or early on the weekend.

mmmmmm

My wife added some cinnimon last time and it tasted good.

two impotant keys to making..

1.  Let it cook for hours...the longer the better

2.  Put in Hot Italian Sausage raw...let it cook in the sauce, much better than if you brown it first...

1196953[/snapback]

have to strongly disagree with you there on #2. searing (browning) is much more flavorfull, and much, much, more sanitary.

have to strongly disagree with you there on #2.  searing (browning) is much more flavorfull, and much, much, more sanitary.

1197200[/snapback]

I had a friend who was a chef and this is the way he did it...I think if you plan on cooking the sauce all day you don't need to worry about the sanitary-ness...

i made from scratch once and it was awesome. can't remember where i got the recipe, but it was pretty basic...lots of simmer time and some top-of-the-line italian sausage.

but usually i "make" it by opening a jar. :D the emeril sauces are actually pretty dam good, especially the gaaaahhlic!! one