[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Franchise Tag Variations in a keeper league

paulzale

We have 2 keepers, but a keeper can't be held more than 1 year.

So, if LT was a keeper this past year, he will be back into the draft next year.

I like it because it prevents bad teams from just giving people away, and you can use a potential keeper in a trade with a bad team to get a non-keeper that might have more immediate impact to your team.

Bumping this because I'm interested in how others do this as well.

I'm in a league that works like this:

Can keep up to 3 players

Each player kept costs you a draft pick 2 rounds higher than where the player was drafted. (i.e. player drafted 7th rd this year costs 5th round next year, 3rd the year after and so on)

Can only keep a player 3 years in a row

Players picked up from ww treated as if they were drafted in the last round.

This works well because it keeps the top players turning over and rewards owners who found gems on the ww or drafted well late.

We can keep up to 5 players(no more than 2 at any one position ) for s maximum 3 years. We also have a Franchise player (can keep one player for a 4th year). In addition we have to practice squad players. As long as they are on your PS they don't accrue any service time. You can keep one PS player regardless of position.

You are not punished by losing draft picks and if you keep less than 6 players ( 5 reg plus 1 PS) you just get an extra pick at the end of the draft.

We have salaries assigned to players based on the round they are drafted in.

Rd 1 salary equals 2.2 million. Each rd after that drops 100,000 in salary. We then divide the salaries into 3 levels.

100,000 - 700,000

800,000 - 1.6 million

1.7 million and up

Owners get drop adds by offering salaries that they are willing to pay the players. All salaries must be in even 100,000 increments to keep the math easy.

At the end of each season the owners can keep one player from each salary level. Then that players salary increases by 100,000 for the next season.

So if you have Carnell Williams at 700,000 and you keep him this year, then next year his salary will go up to 800,000.

If at any point a players salary goes above 2.2 million, either because you bid that much for a free agent or you keep a player until his salary increases to that amount then that player becomes your franchise player and you are obligated to kep him through the entire next season.

For example, I had Jamal Lewis on my team at the end of last season with a salary of 2.2 million I was leary of keeping him this year so I traded him before the start of this season for another owners 1st rd draft pick.

That owner then kept Lewis going into this season which made his salary for this year go up by 100,000 making it 2.3 million so now that owner has to keep Lewis throughout this season and the draft of next season before he can unload him.

I'm in an auction league ($100 cap)...players are assingned a value based on the their performance :

RB: 100 yards rush/rec (combined)=$1, TD rush/rec.=$1,

WR: 150 yards rush/rec (combined)=$1, TD rush/rec.=$1,

QB: 300 yards passing=$1, 2 TD's passing=$1

The studs are the more expensive players so there is some turnover.

Can keep up to 3 players

Each player kept costs you a draft pick 2 rounds higher than where the player was drafted.  (i.e. player drafted 7th rd this year costs 5th round next year, 3rd the year after and so on)

This works well because it keeps the top players turning over and rewards owners who found gems on the ww or drafted well late.

1212876[/snapback]

That's how my league does it as well.

A portion of our keepers are taken in the 5th (changing it to 6th next year) round.

Basically, the player you draft is yours to keep for 3 years. No trading or dropping this player. It definitely affects your strategy during the draft, and provides some pretty good fodder. My classic pick was Albert Connell the year before the pickpocket incident. Other winners include Cecil The Diesel Collins and most recently Kellen Winslow.

Anyway, it sets up some humor at the draft, but if you hit on the right player, you can be solid for a while. For example, I drafted Deuce in the 5th the last year Ricky was in N.O. So, for a couple years after that, I was set at RB.

Can keep up to 3 players

Each player kept costs you a draft pick 2 rounds higher than where the player was drafted.  (i.e. player drafted 7th rd this year costs 5th round next year, 3rd the year after and so on)

1212876[/snapback]

This is amazingly close to ours.

-You can keep up to 3 guys.

-If you keep, you sacrifice only the round you drafted him in.

-He has to have been drafted from the 8th round-on.

-He has to have started in at least half your games.

-You can only keep him 3 times, for a total of 4 years.

This benefits an owner who either pays attention during the draft or the year before. Not many rookies get play, its the 2nd and 3rd year guys who start coming on during a season and explode the next. And it prevents an owner from drafting a rookie and just squatting on him without playing him, or when he does get that Carson Palmer (moi), it means he won't have him forever (next year is my last year I can have him).

Salary cap auction league

$500 salary cap

24 player rosters

Start at least 3 WRs and 1 TE; no more than 2 RBs

Pretty standard performanc scoring, with a couple of twists (including different levels of PPR for RBs, WRs and TEs)

Playeres can be signed to contracts of 1-5 years. Contracts exceeding 1yr cost a signing bonus, which can be paid up front or deferred to future years.

If a player is cut with a deferred signing bonus, your cap is charged 1.5x the unpaid signing bonus.

Players' contracts are recalculated based on the number of fantasy points they score, plus any unpaid signing bonus.

Once a contract expires, they can be resigned to a one year deal, a multi-year deal (at a premium) or be cut.

Great a lot of options, but some sound like have to keep track of for a long time. The simplest so far is the draft round plus 2. Then no 1st or 2nd rounders can be franchise tagged and it rewards the gems found in the later rounds. Any other simple thoughts for the 'tag'

:D