[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The National Anthem

Chief Dick

I would love to see American athletes start showing some pride by singing the National Anthem. How many times have we seen a national telecast and the players just stand there.

I for one ALWAYS sing the National Anthem every time it comes on, and feel goosebumps EVERY time I hear that song.

Tonight I root for Texas because Mack Brown was singing the National Anthem.

Anyone else bothered by this? I always think about this more at Olympic time and World Cup soccer time, when you see other nations' athletes singing their respective anthems.

This song represents so much: I wish the younger generations would really understand that.

I like your point...

but I think the break while it happens may throw some guys off. They are hyped and ready to play then they have to stand around for a few minutes. Probably isn't too bad but it could be kinda weird

They hear it every time they play. If it was reserved for special occasions e.g. bowl games, etc, then you'd see a better response. Your comparison with foreign teams is invalid because they don't do their national anthem before every game, just international ones.

I tend to agree with you CD... one thing that I love about Ireland, is that in almost every single bar and pub, they close the night with their national anthem as the last song (and everybody stands and sings)!

One thing that definitely bothered me about the anthem last night... I actually wasn't sure if I saw what I thought I saw, but it looked like some of the people were just sitting down not paying any attention, and I thought that some of those people sitting down were wearing military uniforms.

Even if they were not in uniform, it is pretty classless not to stand during the anthem unless you have a physical disability (which these kids clearly did not have).

It's unusual for the players to be on the field when the anthem is sung.

1248494[/snapback]

Is this an Indy thing? :D I don't think I have ever been to a football game or any other sporting event where the players weren't on the sideline for the Anthem. :D

I could care less if everyone else isn't singing it, I'm going to, and so is my wife. I find my self singinging it in my lazy-boy if they happen to show the pregame on TV. What really gets me is when the performer(s) singing it butcher it, to try to make their own verision of it. Luckily last nights Anthem was sung fairly close to how it was written.

I like people to leave me to my thoughts when the anthem is played. 

You want to sing, I think that's nice.  I don't sing.  I don't see the need for a mandate.

1249476[/snapback]

Agree. Showing attentiveness, silence and respect are all that is needed/expected.

Or in baskeball Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf formerly known as Chris Jackson refused to stand for the national anthem, when playing for the Nuggets.

:D

1249490[/snapback]

And don't even mention Rosanne Barr/Arnold/whatever

Is this an Indy thing?  :D I don't think I have ever been to a football game or any other sporting event where the players weren't on the sideline for the Anthem. :D

1248976[/snapback]

Actually its an NFL thing. NFL teams are in the locker room when the anthem is sung, unless it's the Super Bowl. They changed it for a few weeks after 9-11, but it went back to normal after a while. I've been to pro games outside of Indy as well. National anthem is played before player introductions.

Actually its an NFL thing.  NFL teams are in the locker room when the anthem is sung, unless it's the Super Bowl.  They changed it for a few weeks after 9-11, but it went back to normal after a while.  I've been to pro games outside of Indy as well.  National anthem is played before player introductions.

1250150[/snapback]

Correct. This was the case at the Metrodome this past weekend.

I love the National Anthem and this country. I do not always sing the Anthem because many times the celebrity singing it is so good I just want to stand, doff my cap, and listen. I'm not being disrespectful, just reflective.

Or Carl Lewis... his brother and I still give him Athenae about that!

1249497[/snapback]

One of the few rips that Jim Rome did that I thought was funny (that and his constant jabs at Orenthal).

Man, after Carl's terrible version of the Star Spangled Banner a few years ago, Rome let him have it. Hilarious. :D

Agree.  Showing attentiveness, silence and respect are all that is needed/expected.

1249487[/snapback]

Agreeed -- regardless of whose anthem it is, for that matter.

I still get chills at games as the anthem draws to a close -- remembering my days on the field as the anthem played and I went through my mental prep for the game, using the "land of the free" as the final trigger into game mode. Ahhh ... glory days ...

Correct.  This was the case at the Metrodome this past weekend.

1250152[/snapback]

This is the first year in a long while I have not been to a Viking game, so I really don't know what they have done this year. But I talked to a co-worker this morning who was at the Bears game this past week and asked him about it and said ..." Was he drunk already? First they announced the Bears, then they turned out the lights, introduced the Vikes, then 2 of the cheerleaders came out and sang the anthem" :D

This is the first year in a long while I have not been to a Viking game, so I really don't know what they have done this year. But I talked to  a co-worker this morning who was at the Bears game this past week and asked him about it and said ..." Was he drunk already? First they announced the Bears, then they turned out the lights, introduced the Vikes, then 2 of the cheerleaders came out and sang the anthem"  :D

1250389[/snapback]

Maybe it was me that was drunk then. I was on the plaza outside for a good couple of hours, imbibing the amber nectar and laughing at the KFAN guys. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris