[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The National Anthem

Chief Dick

This is the first year in a long while I have not been to a Viking game, so I really don't know what they have done this year. But I talked to  a co-worker this morning who was at the Bears game this past week and asked him about it and said ..." Was he drunk already? First they announced the Bears, then they turned out the lights, introduced the Vikes, then 2 of the cheerleaders came out and sang the anthem"  :D

1250389[/snapback]

Maybe they made a change for a week for some reason. Standard NFL policy is to sing the national anthem before players take the field. I remember the article on it after 9-11. They talked about how they were going to change it so the players could be on the field after such a horrible tragedy. They even discussed how long it would last. It didn't even make it through that whole season in '01. I've been to Miami, Kansas City, Tennesse (3 times), Cincinnati (old and new), and Chicago. They may have changed the rules for the play-offs, but the players are not on the field for the national anthem during regular season games in the NFL.

I got tears when, during the 1991 All-Star Hockey game in Chicago (I might have the year wrong) during the first Gulf War, people just went NUTS during the playing of the anthem and cheered during the whole song. I sometimes sing it to myself when I'm driving to a game just to get warmed up.

Chief Dick, I would be HONORED to sing with you anywhere man. :D

And to those of you who simply wish to stand respectfully, I'm more than cool with that too.

To those ignorant, disrepectful morans who continue to keep their hats on, I will speak to you PERSONALLY if done in my presense.

My second favorite song: the Marine Corps Hymn.

I was't really aware of the fact that the NFL teams were not on the field during the anthem. But with respect to Chief Dick's post, I think it would lend so much more to the sporting event if the atheletes sang the Anthem.

Heck, I sing the anthem at every event. Looking around, I feel a second of semi-embarressment since so few around me are singing, and then I shake it off (think to my self screw-em) and then tend to sing louder. I am also making sure that my 7yr-old son and 5yr-old daughter sing at events as well. Pride in our country...why has it dwindled so?

I think it's ridiculous that we sing the National Anthem at every freaking sporting event at every level of sports.  Makes the anthem less special.

1253183[/snapback]

Exactly. I asked earlier why we do this and got no reply.

I got tears when, during the 1991 All-Star Hockey game in Chicago (I might have the year wrong) during the first Gulf War, people just went NUTS during the playing of the anthem and cheered during the whole song.  I sometimes sing it to myself when I'm driving to a game just to get warmed up.

Chief Dick, I would be HONORED to sing with you anywhere man.  :D

And to those of you who simply wish to stand respectfully, I'm more than cool with that too.

To those ignorant, disrepectful morans who continue to keep their hats on, I will speak to you PERSONALLY if done in my presense.

My second favorite song: the Marine Corps Hymn.

1251887[/snapback]

It has been a long standing tradition in Chicago that during the playing of the National anthem at Hawks games the crowd is deafening. The old stadium Rocked like you wouldnt believe during the Anthem!

I could care less if everyone else isn't singing it, I'm going to, and so is my wife.  I find my self singinging it in my lazy-boy if they happen to show the pregame on TV.  What really gets me is when the performer(s) singing it butcher it, to try to make their own verision of it.  Luckily last nights Anthem was sung fairly close to how it was written.

1249195[/snapback]

Why do you sit during the anthem?

Do you really hate America that much? :D