[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

lasik

dmarc117

My boss had the procedure about 5 years ago.

He hasn't had any setbacks or significant corrections of vision that I know of.

5 years ago lasik was a new procedure. They've done so many millions of them since then I think it's pretty routine. :D

I have ZERO complaints; I'd probably rave, but amazingly enough, clear vision is something that you IMMEDIATELY take for granted. Which is funny, considering the year of glasses, contacts, and a few eye infections resulting from contacts that I had to deal with.

Worth every dime. Even better since my work covered it with my cafeteria plan.

Ended up with 20/20 in one eye, and 20/15 in another.

Pick your doctor carefully and just don't go for the cheapest deal. Understand the side effects and ask the correct questions regarding how thick/thin your cornea lens is, and if you have a potential for 'halo's'

My doctor told me that he rejects 20% of patients because they don't fit the profile for a good candidate. Other doctors will only reject 5% of their patients, and they tend to be the one's that offer the lowest rates, and coincedentally the most lawsuites.

I was very near sighted and had Radial Kerotonomy done back in 1987. They dont do that procedure anymore since Lasix came out. Actually, there was another procedure or 2 they did after RK but before Lasix that they used to do. Anyway, I have had 20/20 vision ever since then. And incredibly Lasix is even better. My sister had Lasix 5 years ago and she has 20/20 vision and no problems. Run, dont walk, run down, there and get this done. It will be the best $$$ you ever spent.

Had lasik done a couple of years ago. Will second the recommendation not to go with the cheapie doctors. Go with the best doctor in your area, the one with the latest equipment and the most experience. Make sure s/he will be the one actually doing your eyes, not some junior partner.

I was a little unnerved when I had it done that they still used a metal blade to manually cut the cornea. They don't do that anymore, they use a computer-controlled laser now. I don't know if that's less risky, but it seems like it should be better if the technology is perfected. My brother's cornea actually came off fully (they usually try to just cut a flap), and he had a lot of irritation after the surgery. You should be prepared for some significant irritation for a week or more, they don't really adequately prepare you for that. However, even my brother says it was totally worth it.

I wore glasses for 25 years and it took a while to stop reaching for them when I woke up. I love the convenience, the vision quality (glasses can never give you the same field of view), the ease of picking out cheap sunglasses. I don't miss the fogging when you go outside in the winter, the water beading on them in the rain, the slipping down your nose, the hassle of getting new ones or keeping a spare around in case they break.

I say give it a go, it'll be the best money you ever spent.

Brainy covered the most of it. I had it done last summer, and I detailed what I went through in a thread around here. I looked long and hard at the doctors in the area, found one I was comfortable with, and pulled the trigger. I cannot tell you enough how happy I am that I made this decision.

It's been 4 1/2 years and I wish I had done it sooner. 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. Other than about an hour or two of discomfort if you open your eyes (go home and take a nap afterwards) Within 3-4 hours you are good to go, your eyes will go in and out of focus for about week afterwards, but no having to deal with glasses an contacts is well worth.

Best money I ever spent. I'm 20/15 in both eyes after the procedure and couldn't be happier.

Like others have said, don't just get the cheapest deal, though. Look around, do some research, and ask questions.