[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

unskilled jobs--please tell me what you know

wiegie

OK, here is the deal:

Since April my wife and I have been helping to tutor a refugee family from Somalia who just moved to the US this past spring. They knew no English when they came and their native language is not a written language (so they have never read anything before). The husband is now to the point that he can understand some English and is starting to understand reading and writing (very rudimentarily though).

He needs to get a job. He gets money from the government, but it is not enough to support his family (he and his wife have 7 children).

How do I go about helping him to get a job? (He can't work in the food service industry as he has hepatitus.)

(Please don't rant about how the US shouldn't have let them into the country to begin with. He is here and he wants to work. How can I help him to get a job? I am getting desparate and any ideas would be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

OK, here is the deal:

Since April my wife and I have been helping to tutor a refugee family from Somalia who just moved to the US this past spring.  They knew no English when they came and their native language is not a written language (so they have never read anything before).  The husband is now to the point that he can understand some English and is starting to understand reading and writing (very rudimentarily though).

He needs to get a job.  He gets money from the government, but it is not enough to support his family (he and his wife have 7 children).

How do I go about helping him to get a job?  (He can't work in the food service industry as he has hepatitus.)

(Please don't rant about how the US shouldn't have let them into the country to begin with.  He is here and he wants to work.  How can I help him to get a job?  I am getting desparate and any ideas would be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

1253514[/snapback]

Helping in a factory? Heavy-lifting of boxes, etc.?

Wal-Mart

1253531[/snapback]

you honestly think he could work at Walmart? He can barely speak any English. (I have considered Walmart, but I'm not sure he could make it there. Do they have jobs that non-English speakers could do?)

Janitor/porter?

Wouldn't the local university/college hire him?

Any local cleaning contractors?

1253521[/snapback]

The janitor idea is one that I am thinking of. When I was over at their house on Thursday I mentioned something about a cleaning job. I will try to check with my university's HR department to see if they have any possible openings. He lives within walking distance of our downtown campus.

you honestly think he could work at Walmart?  He can barely speak any English.  (I have considered Walmart, but I'm not sure he could make it there.  Do they have jobs that non-English speakers could do?)

1253535[/snapback]

Absolutely, my wife has people who can barely speak and they were raised in the U.S.

Pushing buggies, sweeping floor?

Go to your local store and tell them who you are and you wish to spek to the store manager. Don't tell them why yo are there until you get to talk to the store manager and then lay it on him.

Absolutely, my wife has people who can barely speak and they were raised in the U.S.

Pushing buggies, sweeping floor?

Go to your local store and tell them who you are and you wish to spek to the store manager. Don't tell them why yo are there until you get to talk to the store manager and then lay it on him.

1253540[/snapback]

Thanks. I will do this.

Any decent sized printing companies in the area? A smaller shop might not want to hire him, but once you get into moderate to bigger printing companies there can be plenty of bindery workers needed that are very easy tasks to communicate..stacking paper off of cutters and folders....where all day they will either stack finished product, or box it.

The company I work for runs all 3 shifts all week, very tough to staff 2nd and 3rd shift fully at times and we have quite a few Somalians, Asians, Hispanics that have filled those spots.

Starting on the ground floor in printing may not sound all that promising, but there are printing needs and companies all over the country....always will be. Once he learns some of the basics, there could be opportunities down the road for him to find a job almost any where if he has some prior experience in the business.

Any decent sized printing companies in the area? A smaller shop might not want to hire him, but once you get into moderate to bigger printing companies there can be plenty of bindery workers needed that are very easy tasks to communicate..stacking paper off of cutters and folders....where all day they will either stack finished product, or box it.

The company I work for runs all 3 shifts all week,  very tough to staff 2nd and 3rd shift fully at times and we have quite a few Somalians, Asians, Hispanics that have filled those spots.

Starting on the ground floor in printing may not sound all that promising, but there are printing needs and companies all over the country....always will be. Once he learns some of the basics, there could be opportunities down the road for him to find a job almost any where if he has some prior experience in the business.

1253558[/snapback]

Good info here. I know many people in the printing business, and this is very true.

The company I work for runs all 3 shifts all week,  very tough to staff 2nd and 3rd shift fully at times and we have quite a few Somalians, Asians, Hispanics that have filled those spots.

1253558[/snapback]

thanks for this idea--we have a few printing companies in the area--I'll take a look

I wouldn't ignore the smaller shops. They may be in need too, they just might not be as tolerant of the communication problem, where a larger shop could be.

1253616[/snapback]

or the red necks might hassle him to much..... doesnt happen in roch right billy :D:D

or the red necks might hassle him to much..... doesnt happen in roch right billy  :D  :D

1253619[/snapback]

Just because we're in southern MN doesn't mean we're all rednecks! :D

Edited by BillyBalata

Try construction site.

1253702[/snapback]

If he can't read, that's out - he would need to be able to read warning signs, etc, plus sign off on having read mandatory briefings. We have a lot of Hispanics that have rudimentary English, but they're fine as long as they can do these basics.

landscape or lawn mowing crew............

1253838[/snapback]

No way in Michigan. While he'd be okay as a second guy on a mowing crew, that only lasts for a few months. The winter is all about snow plowing, which you need a drivers license and decent communications skills for.